Looking for a commercial borax egg cure

V
viper0463
Ok they changed my favorite borax cure formula. I used Alaska premiere borax formula and they changed it and. it doesn't work for me now. I need suggestions for a commercially available egg cure. No I will not make my own because I don't have that extra time. I just want something I can pour on wait a bit and go. So suggestions please.

J
JeannaJigs
I dont use borax eggs much anymore but Borax-o-fire is the only commercial borax cure I use. I use it as a base cure in a 3-2-1 and add a few other things to it. It's good as is though.

V
viper0463
JeannaJigs said:
I dont use borax eggs much anymore but Borax-o-fire is the only commercial borax cure I use. I use it as a base cure in a 3-2-1 and add a few other things to it. It's good as is though.

I was thinking of trying that cure this year but the krill additive that's in it has me a bit worried. The fish here have never seen or eaten krill. So I don't know if the scent would work for them.

J
JeannaJigs
You might be surprised

V
viper0463
Your probably right and as much roe as I end up with every year I guess I could do some experiments. What is the 3,2,1 cure your talking about? I've heard that term before but I don't know what it means.

J
JeannaJigs
3 parts borax/cure, 2 parts sugar, 1 part salt. I used to just use plain borax, raspberry jello, and salt, that works as well...for steelhead anyways. Salmon really key in more on aminos and sulfite, I don't use borax at all for salmon. Some people do but everyone has their own preference.

V
viper0463
What's the jello for? Why raspberry? I would think a raspberry flavor would be a bad thing.

V
viper0463
JeannaJigs said:
3 parts borax/cure, 2 parts sugar, 1 part salt. I used to just use plain borax, raspberry jello, and salt, that works as well...for steelhead anyways. Salmon really key in more on aminos and sulfite, I don't use borax at all for salmon. Some people do but everyone has their own preference.

Regular sugar like the stuff you put in coffee? And what kind of salt, idolized or not? I always see cures that people cook. Just mixing up this sounds like it could be made up way in advance and just stored in a Tupperware container. Or do you have to make it as you need it?

J
JeannaJigs
viper0463 said:
What's the jello for? Why raspberry? I would think a raspberry flavor would be a bad thing.

Flavor doesn't seem to make a difference, it's for color and sugar, the gelatin helps egg firmness.

J
JeannaJigs
viper0463 said:
Regular sugar like the stuff you put in coffee? And what kind of salt, idolized or not? I always see cures that people cook. Just mixing up this sounds like it could be made up way in advance and just stored in a Tupperware container. Or do you have to make it as you need it?

Regular sugar. NON IODIZED salt. iodized salt is no good it messes with the cure. I just made it as I needed it in small batches and used to keep some in a bag so I could start the curing process on the river as soon as I landed a hen.

V
viper0463
Can you add food coloring to this to help add more color or is the jello enough? What do you use to make pink? How much jello do you use? Sorry for all the questions but I actually thought making cure was harder than just adding a few things together.