Lockjaw -1

J
junk4jones
Spent all morning catching micro-trout on a coastal river, then saw a few steelhead in a really slow pool. The best I could get them to do was to move away from my fly. I know, I know, presentation.

At another, heavily-fished, -swum, and -camped-on hole, 15-20 steelhead were holding at the bottom, and same story: moving away from everything I could throw at them: bobber & jig, spinner, every fly in the box.

But what's up with that? I mean, is there anything a fisherperson can do when steelhead are visible but they're just hanging out, ignoring everything you toss? That is, anything legal, ethical, and non-explosive?

This story ends well for me: I finally got a hen to hit an egg pattern (in summer!?). First ink on my tag. But I still want answers.

You'll notice in the photo there's some damage just forward of her cloaca and on the abdominal fin. Previously foul hooked and released?
2014-08-10_14-47-56_486.jpg

O
OnTheDrop
You can prolly get a steely to hit an egg pattern 365 days a year. It's just instinct for them. Some times of the year def do better than others, though. I can't really see the mark, but it could be from a numerous amount of predators. Seal/Eagle, etc.

As far as getting them to bite in those conditions.. A cast from a mile away, sneak wayyy up on them ( Thonk army crawl, not kidding, it works!) Some really light gear like 4-6lb Fluoro and tiny presentations...

If all else fails, snag them with a treble hook.

J
junk4jones
SteelmonKiller20 said:

I choose to believe you're joking. Now I will laugh.

As for the stealth, I was busted by the time I saw them. No going back in that situation?

C
ChezJfrey
junk4jones said:
I choose to believe you're joking. Now I will laugh.

As for the stealth, I was busted by the time I saw them. No going back in that situation?

Not usually...they seem to get super spooky in those low/clear conditions. I know this well. They may not take off, but once they see you, it appears to become near impossible as they seem very shy and most won't risk biting things. Try to stay behind the trees/brush when walking the bank, or as ridiculous as it looks/feels, do as Steelmon suggests and crawl; I spend a fair amount of time creeping around likely water and casting while sitting on my knees/butt near rocks/bushes and while I can't say for certain it helps, when I hook fish I have to assume it didn't hurt my chances :)

B
bigboy70
Chez isn't joking first few times we fish I thought seriously? Then we hit the wilson and SOB had me playing soulja boy crawling around lol. That day I got my 1st steelhead ever and chez his biggest so I say get low and rock wit it! All about odds anything to make them increase DO IT.

S
steelhead_stalkers
4 lb!

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:

Tanner your making us look bad. :sad:

O
OnTheDrop