Like to catch my first king and sliver on a rod

H
hookturn
Hey guys.. and gals.
I've spent a good 10yrs. commercial fishing up in Alaska, and about the same in Oregon, but have not caught a king or silver on a rod. Well I actually just started sports fishing recently. I've been trying at the mouth of the clack and Willamette at Medrum bar area, up above the Walgreen hole, up at McGiver, I was at Barton Park yesterday. I'm throwing Blue Fox #4 & 5, blue, pink, chartreuse. I'm drifting corky's red, green pink, black with silver flex, red with red yarn, etc. etc. etc.
Am I too late for Kings and too early for coho or what?
What about steelhead? I just sent away for Oregon River maps and fishing guide but I can't wait. I was told by the owner of The Great American Tackle Shop to look at the fishing deal on the weather channel. But I need some help.
I heard the silvers (coho) run up Eagle Creek so went up there yesterday, hell, a trout could barely get up that crick right now.
Any feedback, input, anything would help.
I'm thinking about the Wilson up of Hwy 6. found an interactive map with fishing holes, but don't know when to go for what type of fish.

Thanks,
Gary:sad:

Admin
Admin
hookturn said:
I've spent a good 10yrs. commercial fishing up in Alaska, and about the same in Oregon, but have not caught a king or silver on a rod.

Now let's see how cool you are without a net. )
Welcome aboard!

H
hookturn
Hahaha, ya.. well I trolled for Kings and Silvers for awhile in SE. all line and hook and pulled by hand. Power gurdies though. Nothing but threaded herring for Kings, and Green or Pink spoons for Silvers

S
Steelheader4Life
Once we get some substantial rain go fish the Wilson with a bobber and egg set-up and you'll find some fish. Hell, fish any coastal river after the first big rain and I would almost guarantee you hook up. I don't fish around the Portland are but from what I hear there are plenty of coho around but getting them to bite is another story. I don't think the Clack or the Sandy get much a fall Chinook run, if any. Right now most of the fish are holding in tide water on the coastal rivers and it will be that way until the rivers raise at least a foot. Find a place to fish and ask people questions about what they are using, how deep they are fishing, etc. I primarily use bait for Chinook and I always have eggs, sand shrimp, and tuna bellies with me. Spinners can be very productive at times, especially in tide water. Good luck and spend as much time on the water as possible.

B
bagold53
What type of Commercial fishing did you do?

Current season is for Salmon silvers or nooks. Summer steel can still be found in the upper reaches of some of the rivers and might start bitting again when it cools down. Winter steel normally shows up around Dec-Jan.
with the little rains we've gotten the wilson might be getting fish into the tidewater. last I looked we havent got enough rain to get them up to and past Mills Bridge. Sandy should have some in it up to Dodge park.

This is what I have read and heard I still consider myself a beginner starting going into my 3rd year fishing Salmon and Steelies so do some fact checking most of the info I have culled from OFF.

and Welcome to OFF.

H
hookturn
Hey thanks. I was thinking the levels are pretty low.
As for fishing in Ak. I fished king crab in the 70's, fished halibut and black cod for 3 yrs. on a schooner.. and I mean 3 yrs although we did get to Ballard to FVO for some boatwork on year. Seined fof salmon a season and trolled for salmon for 4 yrs.
In Or. I fished shrimp, Dungeness crab, worked a dragger for bottom fish and did some joint venture for hake.

Funny I got in a lot of hunting up in SE and trout fishing but not much for sport salmon

S
SmallStreams
The north coast rivers first wave of coho shot upriver on Friday & Saturday. Really impressive to see them go up the North Fork Nehalem in mass. There are still some trickling in, but it will taper off until the next rain. I saw someone catch a small chinook yesterday on the N Fk.