Launch a kayak on Willamette across from Yamhill mouth?

bass
bass
I searching google maps it looks like there is a dirt road that leads to a small beach right across from the mouth of the Yamhill. Does anyone know if this is open to the public? It sort of looks like private land but in the satellite photo there looks to be a car parked on the beach and several boats tied up there. I was thinking that this would make for a nice launch for me and my son next summer.

M
Modest_Man
There is a locked gate off of Riverside Dr. You can see it from the street view. Almost positive that area is private property.

bass
bass
Modest_Man said:
There is a locked gate off of Riverside Dr. You can see it from the street view. Almost positive that area is private property.

Thanks, I should have zoomed all the way in before posting. Sure looked like a nice kayak launch spot to fish the mouth of the Yamhill.

M
Modest_Man
Have you looked into San Salvador? It's maybe a mile upriver from the Yamhill confluence. The current isn't bad in that stretch. Sketchy area though, we tried not to use the launch there.

bass
bass
Modest_Man said:
Have you looked into San Salvador? It's maybe a mile upriver from the Yamhill confluence. The current isn't bad in that stretch. Sketchy area though, we tried not to use the launch there.

I saw that site but I had been warned against using it in the past. It is good to learn that the current is not too bad there. In looking at the map the river looks fairly narrow so I figured it would be ripping pretty hard.

I will probably just pass on that area, I was just doing a little lunch time reconnaissance looking for interesting places to try at some point in the future.

troutdude
troutdude
Try asking the landowner; if you can your kid could launch OFF his property. Maybe you'll get a "yes"?

M
Modest_Man
bass said:
I saw that site but I had been warned against using it in the past. It is good to learn that the current is not too bad there. In looking at the map the river looks fairly narrow so I figured it would be ripping pretty hard.

I will probably just pass on that area, I was just doing a little lunch time reconnaissance looking for interesting places to try at some point in the future.

Your idea of ripping and my idea of ripping may be different, since I've only been out there with a sled with 105 horses.

H
HereFishy
Check out willamettewatertrail.org. It'll tell you where you can launch, where you can take out, where you can pull over to camp, how far it is (in river miles) from place to place and how long it takes to float from place to place. They even mention wineries that you can beach or dock at for wine tastings. You can plan out week long camping/floating trips. It's a pretty good resource.