Late October help

Irishrover
Irishrover
Maybe the the steelhead your looking for is waiting for you to hit the John Day River. :) If you get the chance you still have to make that Maupin trip sometime, lots of water to fish. Glad you did get the chance to hit the lower Deschutes and hook a big redside! Irishrover

J
joesnuffy
I'm going to try and hit the johnday somtime in November or december. I think vetrans day weekend I'm going down to Hells Canyon to give it a shot.

F
FishSchooler
Troutski said:
In my opinion you did much better with the 20" Rainbow than any Steelhead...Just my opinion...:clap: :clap::cool:

Chuck
Very true, a 20" rainbow is very rare, a 20" steel isn't... :D:dance:

A
ArcticAmoeba
joesnuffy said:
I'm going to try and hit the johnday somtime in November or december. I think vetrans day weekend I'm going down to Hells Canyon to give it a shot.

I hooked and fought my biggest 'Bow in an Eastern OR river, in Hell's Canyon in a section called Walker's Drift. In memory of a friends brother who passed. He used to murder 8 pound trout every winter, and the Christmas day of last year I hooked up with monster weighing in at close to 10 pounds, and just absolutely enormous. It took my 5 wt. for a ride! We were drifting a modified GB Skunk. Little different all around, but very similar in design. Winter is the time for big fish on the John Day, and the Canyon hosts some of the best fly fishing I have ever been a part of in Oregon.

kirkster
kirkster
joesnuffy said:

Hey joesnuffy, A buddy and I fished the lower john day 10/24 from daylight till 11:30 and left with four nice chromers. There was aboat below us that had caught three that we seen. talked to a couple boats trolling plugs and no good on the plugs. All of ours were on bobber and cured prawn tails. I realize this thread is a year old but I do remember you talking about fishing the john day on another post

Last edited:
M
Marvin's Guide Service
how far do you want to drive?