Late October help

J
joesnuffy
I'll be in this area the later part of October. What areas should I be heading too? I'll have a fly rod or two in hand.

Irishrover
Irishrover
You might try the the Maupin area and check in at the Canyon Fly shop. There's lots of river in that are to fish and bring your steelhead gear. If you go further up river towards the Trout Creek Mecca area check in at the Riffle Fly shop. It's up river from the Warm Springs bridge. Again be ready for steelhead at that time of year. Bring your nymphs if you want to hook up the redside trout. I use a floating line cast up stream and let the nymphs drift along the bottom. I also use a soft hackel (green body) and let it drift through the riffles. For the steelhead try a wet fly and let it swing out in the current. If you do go to Maupin my best recomendation is to finish the day at the Oasis with one of their cheesebergers and a beer.;) I'm headed over to the in about an hour so I'd better get packing. Irishrover.

J
joesnuffy
Maupin is exactly where I was planning on heading. lol

I've heard from there down to the end of the dirt road at the canyon.

good luck today.

S
sherretb
Offer

Offer

joesnuffy,

I am in the area this fall/winter as well and love to fish steelhead. If you are looking for someone to share gas/ techniques with, reply back. This offer goes to anyone else as well.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF

Welcome to OFF

sherretb said:
joesnuffy,

I am in the area this fall/winter as well and love to fish steelhead. If you are looking for someone to share gas/ techniques with, reply back. This offer goes to anyone else as well.

Welcome to OFF sherretb, another Central Oregon angler. Nice to have you on board...tight lines and thanks for the offer.

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
well I'll be somewhere downstream of Maupin Friday afternoon and Sat morning then back again next Tuesday.

I'm not usre exactly where I'll be because I've never fished there. I'll just look for some decent looking water and let loose. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

F
FishFinger
October 20, 2008
Deschutes River:

As can be expected, the Deschutes has been "Steady Eddie" for steelhead anglers. A favored month, October continues to see fish entering the river with regularity. Additionally, larger fish become more the norm. This is a fantastic year overall for steelhead in the river, biologists estimate nearly 15,000 fish calling the "D" home for the winter. Fish are spreading throughout the river all the way up to Pelton now with the greatest concentration downriver from North Junction. However, there are ample opportunities upriver at South Junction, Trout Creek and even Mecca. Floating line tactics continue to be productive, but sink-tip fishing is game-on as well. Carry traditional wets, skaters and leech patterns - now is not the time to hold back on the arsenal. Trout fishing is very good now...Colder days have turned on your fall Baetis hatches and fish are found with more regularity in back eddies and slow riffles. October Caddis as well as smaller caddis are still a staple as well. Pupal patterns are "go-to". Stonefly nymphs are also an October fly as fish chow down in anticipation of winter. Additionally, our staff here has some "secret-weapons" for fall fishing on the Deschutes...if interested, just ask. Trout anglers, be advised...when nymphing in October there is a great chance of hooking chrome. I've lost count of the "steelhead on a PT" stories over the years.

TIP: Many steelhead are still roaming between Bonneville Dam and The Dalles Dam on the Columbia River.

This makes the mouth of Eagle Creek and Herman Creek great places to make a quick stop. Strip a size 12 BH CDC Pheasant Tail Nymph, or a tan Damsel nymph. Easy wading access can be found by the mouth of Eagle Creek. You can easily wade or use a float tube here. This water can be crowded and reminds one of steelhead fishing the Great Lakes area, and only recommended for the patient angler. However, fishing can at times be spectacular.

Credit where credit is due I copied this from Kaufmans website. They usually have the skinny on the Deschutes.

Kaufmann Streamborn - Everything for the Fly Fisher - Since 1969 - Northwest (Oregon and Washington) Fishing Report

Been a few years but I've always liked the rattlesnake canyon streach. Some classic spots scattered all along the road.

Good luck and take some picts the area is amazing.

J
joesnuffy
Fishfinger,

thanks for the nice post. This has been one of the longest weeks I've had in a while. The anticipation is driving me nuts! lol

I'll be taking 4 rods with me (#4, #6, #8, and a spinning rod) just in case.

In 2 days.......................... FISH ON!!!!

pics to follow.

J
joesnuffy
Well crap, today is the day I'm headed over to the Deschutes. Last night I spoke with a guy I know and he was fishing there last weekend. His party didn't catch a single steelhead in 4 days. Argh.

Even though it doesn't really matter to me if I catch a Steelhead or not, this wasn't the news that i was hopeing to hear the day before I depart. LOL

Wish Me Luck

F
Fishtopher
All I know is in early September, I was on the mouth of the Dechutes, throwin spinners and most other guys used a green butt skunk or something like that. Steelhead fishing was red hot then. Those steelies are majestic! Most beautifull sewer trout Ive ever caught. Unfortunately,(for me) the crew I was with were c & r guys. Does anyone know if the red-sides taste any different than their cousins over this way?

H
Hawk
Good Luck Brother Joe..........................:D

Catch some Big'UNs........................................:lol::lol::lol:.......................................:dance::dance::dance:................................:cool:

F
FishFinger
Yeah buddy, good luck. Enjoy the get away and come back with some great stories.

F
FishSchooler
Totally off topic, but fishfinger, how much does it cost to tie a normal dry fly, lets say an adams? :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Like 40 cents if you use uber high quality material and a wicked sticky hook.

The Deschutes fish do taste quite a bit different, especially after they travel so far, but most fish from different systems have different taste qualities than those of our local rivers. They still are a decent dinner if you are into Steel though.

F
FishFinger
FishSchooler said:
Totally off topic, but fishfinger, how much does it cost to tie a normal dry fly, lets say an adams? :think:

Todays price or the price I paid for the materials in 1980.
#1 grizzley neck hackles are big $$$$ ( geez they were then @ $45.00)

So by using materials from last century maybe $.18 cents.

Now, AA is darned close @ $.40 for top shelve materials.

A
ArcticAmoeba
One time on this trip to Yellowstone I saw this sweet 3 wt. fly rod at a shop in Idaho on the drive over...Hand assembled custom Sage blank that an employee was going to use, but lost interest, and quit...Long story short, I ended up gathering about 5 pounds of Buffalo fibres, and Grizzly fur fluffs, and I traded the shop owner for my very first trout fur flinger. Don't know how much it was listed for, but I imagine it was a pretty penny even 14 years ago. He probably sold the "Buffalo Hackle" for bookoo dollars, not to mention the Grizz fluff too, so I don't feel too bad about the trade!

J
joesnuffy
Well Hell, I didn't get to fish as much as I wanted to. only about 5-6hrs total. Needless to say, no Steelhead. I did however catch a 20+" Rainbow 15 minutes after I got there on Friday (camera in the car, LOL).

I also didn't make it to Maupin like I planned, I fished right near the mouth. Hope everybody elses weekend was alittle more productive then mine.

F
FishFinger
That's a junoir steelhead, and a darned nice sized catch in it's own rights. You'll have better luck next time

Troutski
Troutski
Better catch...

Better catch...

joesnuffy said:
Well Hell, I didn't get to fish as much as I wanted to. only about 5-6hrs total. Needless to say, no Steelhead. I did however catch a 20+" Rainbow 15 minutes after I got there on Friday (camera in the car, LOL).

I also didn't make it to Maupin like I planned, I fished right near the mouth. Hope everybody elses weekend was alittle more productive then mine.

In my opinion you did much better with the 20" Rainbow than any Steelhead...Just my opinion...:clap: :clap::cool:

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
I'm not bitchin' about the fish, but I wish I had hooked up with it on my #4 or #6 instead of my #8.

Biggest trout (besides steelhead) that I've caught since last X-mas eve.