Lami, or IM8?...

M
meluvtrout
Fishtopher said:
After looking at reels for a while, I kinda like the Pflueger President 6750x. Hehe...I still have an old Pflueger Rocket...ahhh, the good ol' days!
The 6750x has a 4.6:1 ratio, while holding 220 yards of 14lb test weighing in at 1lbs 2.7 ounces, for 65 dollars. Anyone out there like to pfly Pflueger's?
The only other reel I have really looked at is the Shimano Symetre SY4000FJ, 160yds/12lb line, 5.7:1 ratio, weighing in at 14.1oz.. Cheapest I've found is 99 bucks.

Any reel repairmen out there? I sure would like to fish my Pflueger Rocket. As of right now, it sits on an old! square rod. Wish I could remember the name.

Pflueger Trion Low Profile Baitcast priced $99.99 at Joe's will be going to my X-Mas List...

F
Fishtopher
meluvtrout said:
Oh no worries... Next time you take a cigarette break, I'd suggest keeping a close eye on your Grigg though. I heard awful stories about these bears, coming out of the woods and jumping on unsuspecting fishermen's rods when they are not looking... :D

:lol::lol:

F
fish_4_all
I can't help with spinning reels, the only bigger ones I have that I like are Spidercast SC300. I don't fish for big fish very often with spinning gear. Bobber fishing is about the only times I pull them out and then only when I have to go too small for my baitcasters.

My favorite baitcats is my Quantum heat although it has one major problem. There is a part in the reel that wears down too fast and I have had to replace already. I even bought an extra because it is likely going to happen again.

If I was looking for a new reel I would really have to try the Quantum Accurist for a baitcaster and Shimano Symetre® FJ SY4000FJ. But I am not the best to ask when it comes spinning reels. I look for a click adjustable drag, instant anti reverse, a tall spool and something that holds between 120-140 yards of 12 pound test. Other than that I am more into looks in a reel than I ever have been for a fishing pole.

F
Fishtopher
Thanks OFF'ers!

Thanks OFF'ers!

:clap::clap:Thank you all for your input on this subject, it was much appreciated, and all of you will recieve a certificate...good for nothing in the mail for your time and effort. Not really, but thats what the survey guy said that I just got off the phone with.

:yay:I have taken possession of a brand new Berkley Buzz Ramsey AIR IM8 A94-9-6M., Medium action spinning 8-12# rod. A-and a Shimano Symetre 4000FJ, 5.7:1 ratio, 8#(240yds), 10(200), 12(160) line capacity. Weighs 14 ounces, and it seems like a nice all around reel. I think it only came with one spool though:(, they said the new Shimano's dont come with a extra spool anymore:think:...:whistle:, and my thumb and pointer sure felt nice all hugged up to the handle.

Troutski
Troutski
Sweet set up...

Sweet set up...

Fishtopher said:
:clap::clap:Thank you all for your input on this subject, it was much appreciated, and all of you will recieve a certificate...good for nothing in the mail for your time and effort. Not really, but thats what the survey guy said that I just got off the phone with.

:yay:I have taken possession of a brand new Berkley Buzz Ramsey AIR IM8 A94-9-6M., Medium action spinning 8-12# rod. A-and a Shimano Symetre 4000FJ, 5.7:1 ratio, 8#(240yds), 10(200), 12(160) line capacity. Weighs 14 ounces, and it seems like a nice all around reel. I think it only came with one spool though:(, they said the new Shimano's dont come with a extra spool anymore:think:...:whistle:, and my thumb and pointer sure felt nice all hugged up to the handle.

Good on you...it's like picking out an extension of your arm and hand; with all that is on the market and information we have access to it can be nerve wracking to say the least - such a bummer for you ;) Enjoy and tight lines.

Chuck

F
fish_4_all
Let us know how much you like the reel. I have been looking at that one for a long time and might just have to get one so I can have a nice spinning reel to use for more than bobber fishing.

Congrats on the new outfit and hope it works out.

B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:

Ok so now that you got it when are we going to go out and test drive it?

A
allford
It's threads like this that truly make my head spin as a newer / renewed fisherman. I guess I am lucky to have both ends covered. My IM7 salmon/steelhead pole sits in my truck next to my bright yellow Eagle Claw " packet " spin/fly combo backpacking pole that I use for the trout. Both have cheap Cardnal reels on them. One day I hope to have nicer stuff but I am still lumped in the " some people have to drowned a mile of line " catagory. :) LoL, I love that signature! It should also say loose a bunch of spinners and have a ever tangled drift rig.

A
allford
It's threads like this that truly make my head spin as a newer / renewed fisherman. I guess I am lucky to have both ends covered. My IM7 salmon/steelhead pole sits in my truck next to my bright yellow Eagle Claw " packet " spin/fly combo backpacking pole that I use for the trout. Both have cheap Cardnal reels on them. One day I hope to have nicer stuff but I am still lumped in the " some people have to drowned a thousand miles of line " catagory. :) LoL, I love that signature!

H
halibuthitman
fish_4_all said:
That is kinda point I think. I didn't mean to make it sounds like I was bashing anything over $100. Hell, I spend an extra $0.17 each for my spinner beads to make my spinners because they look good to me and for me, I catch more fish on them. Could go and get one for a penny apiece and probably catch fish but I don't.

Loomis, Fenwick, IM?, Garcia, Eagle Claw, Lami Glass, Grigg or whatver you decide to buy, it needs ot feel right to you and thatis all that matters. $20, $200 or $1,000 doesn't matter if you can afford it, it has to feel right.

The old timer catches fish on his old brick rod because it feels right and he knows every single thing that he feels on the rod.

Quality wise, I still recommend the IM8 although I would get an IM7 before the IM8 but that is what I like. But with the ability to get the Lamiglass and try it and then take it back if you don't like it, I might go that way. Never turn down the opportunity to try it if you can return it with no questions asked. There is one rod I would pay the big money for if I could find one though. Kunnan 9' medium light casting rod. I have never felt one I liked better and will likely never find one.

Main point, I used to buy a rod because it looked good and because of the name. It now takes me way too long to decide on a rod because I know what I like and it is hard to find. I won't use a trout sized Fenwick rod but I own 2 of them for salmon and steelhead. I can not stand Abu Garcia rods over 6' long so I use them for trout. Shakespeare, great trout rods for me but I can't stand them for slamon or steelhead. Lightning rods, great for one way I fish but I hate them for everything else.

The nicest, best looking, best made pole I own was a gift when I signed up for a club. Guess what, it will be as pretty in 35 years as it is today because it is the worst feeling pole I have ever owned.

Get what feels right, find it in a pole you like the look of and tight lines!
the old timer actually outfishes everyone on the river becouse he knows the river... it has nothing to do with the rod...

H
hunt-fish-trap
I read this post from start to finish before I looked at the date! I miss those north x northwest rods. that is all

H
halibuthitman
I revived this thread becouse I like it, and it has Fishtopher... kinda miss that guy-

B
Boombollie
My wife is threatening to get me an Uglystik for christmas. 8'6, I think, for a very basic all purpose spinner, bobber throwing from the banks of the suislaw type rod. Any thoughts on the brand from all you salmon/steelhead folks?

V
veilside180sx
Boombollie said:
My wife is threatening to get me an Uglystik for christmas. 8'6, I think, for a very basic all purpose spinner, bobber throwing from the banks of the suislaw type rod. Any thoughts on the brand from all you salmon/steelhead folks?

Personally, I don't think there really is a do everything rod. Spinners and bobbers require less sensitivity than others, so it would be tolerable. As a drift rod...it'll stink.

With that said...there have a been a lot of salmon on steelhead put on the bank with one of those rods.

Reactions: Boombollie
B
Boombollie
veilside180sx said:
With that said...there have a been a lot of salmon on steelhead put on the bank with one of those rods.

Ultimately, that's what I show up to do, but I'm glad to have the feed back about the sensitivity. I'm not one to drift as I don't have a boat and even if I did I'd still be a spinner freak. Well, that and bobber. I'm also looking at an (I think) IM8 (if I do actually get the ugly stick, I might just exchange it). I like name recognition with my gear in general, it's why I wear Whites on the fire line and not Georgias or Danners.

V
veilside180sx
Boombollie said:
Ultimately, that's what I show up to do, but I'm glad to have the feed back about the sensitivity. I'm not one to drift as I don't have a boat and even if I did I'd still be a spinner freak. Well, that and bobber. I'm also looking at an (I think) IM8 (if I do actually get the ugly stick, I might just exchange it). I like name recognition with my gear in general, it's why I wear Whites on the fire line and not Georgias or Danners.

The IM8 or Okuma SST is a decent enough stick to cover most things, depending on which model you get anyway. They can get had pretty regularly on sale for under $60. The extra $15 or so over an Ugly Stick will make a big difference.

Even an Okuma Celilo will be a step up from an Ugly Stik.

B
Boombollie
veilside180sx said:
The IM8 or Okuma SST is a decent enough stick to cover most things, depending on which model you get anyway. They can get had pretty regularly on sale for under $60. The extra $15 or so over an Ugly Stick will make a big difference.

Even an Okuma Celilo will be a step up from an Ugly Stik.

BAM!!!! Got the IM8 with a Diawa Regal 3500 XiA. I'm SO hittin' the Slaw tomorrow......