Lake Tahkenitch - close to a perfect day...

J
Jake
Happy M.D. and I left Crow at 6:30am undecided if we would try the Siuslaw or one of the coast lakes for Salmon. As we were skunked on the Siuslaw during the run last month, we opted for Lake Tahkenitch seeking the RV park near Mapleton was a ghost town and observing a half dozen boats on the Siuslaw on the drive to Florence (more boats were observed when we were heading home at 4:30p (high tide was 2pm, yesterday)). The road was wet, I figured we were in for a marginal day weatherwise. Tahkenitch weather turned out to be overcast and warm (perfectly happy in short sleeves for half the day). A party of 3 putting in at same time as us said they had caught 2 Silvers on Tues on Blue Fox spinners. Lot's of weeds and a few snags on blow downs. We saw salmon in the water, had a Salmon breech nearby in the Western Arm. I had a strike from a Cutthroat on a trolled needlefish (it jumped). I landed a Cutthroat on a blue fox #6. We saw a total of 5 other boats on the lake all day, no hookups witnessed, 1 other Cutthroat catch reported.

Seeing how fish friendly the cover was for Bass, it makes me inclined to want to throw a Carolina Rigged pink plastic worm at the shorelines (supposedly, that is where the fish are in the arms of the lake).

Hightlight of the day (besides the weather) was seeing a Bald Eagle across the arm of the lake from us, hunting a Coot in the water. I'd love to have one trained to take out Cormorants!

Tight lines and screamin' drags,

Jake

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, nice report, sure wish you had caught some nice photo worthy coho...FYI- there is a camera on the fish ladder at Tahk damn and I heard it is showing fish coming in slow and steady, hopefully we will get a big surge of fish and the catching will pick-up after some heavy rain (like we are having today)..

I hear Tenmile lakes are the best place for bass and usually have fresh coho through December...cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
Very nice first thread. Welcome to OFF!

B
billfisher
Nice post Jake! Tackinitch is my favorite, always beautiful there.

N
nwdunerider
I have a friend on the lake today and tomorrow.
Will post results.
Hey rodgerdodger how do I access the camera at the dam ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nwdunerider said:
I have a friend on the lake today and tomorrow.
Will post results.
Hey rodgerdodger how do I access the camera at the dam ?

I don't think we can, it is operated by the STEP group here in Florence, I think it stores images to a memory card and they check it periodically...

heavy rain here now, Rachelle and I are heading to Tahk Friday in the PB...cheers, roger

W
waco
Welcome to OFF Jake, nice first post!!!

E
eugene1
Jake, sounds like a good day anyway even no ho's were had.

Any size to the cutts? We've caught some big ones at Siltcoos.

Welcome to the forum,

J
Jake
12" give or take. It was actually my first Cutthroat - won't be my last :thumb:. Now I gotta go see how big they can grow.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum, Jake! Too bad we can't do like the Japanese and train the Cormorants to catch fish for us, but, at least they aren't as horrible as sea lions.