Knots to use when attaching rope to a crab trap harness?

C
Crabbin503
I just bought a few new crab traps that I will have to attach rope to the harnesses. Having said that, can you guys recommend some good knots to use?

In the past the crab traps I've bought were all setup and ready to go.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I like just your standard fishing knot. most rope seems to tie it pretty well. I have also used anchor knots, but I don't always remember how to tie one, and bowlines seem to work pretty well. If you are going to be swapping the rope back and forth between traps or different uses then I would use a bowline.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Ditto here also, plus I used gorilla tape wrapped around the knot. Going Thursday with Big Ben, hope the crab are swarming.

P
pinstriper
I use a Palomar to a carabiner and clip that to the cage. No slippage or unraveling with that knot, even using stiff lead-core crabbing line.

B
Billamicasr
Knots to use when attaching rope to a crab trap harness

I do not tie knots to connect crab pot lines. The three strand lead core line lends itself well to making three strand loops which I connect with stainless steel “ready links”… see the photo.

If you want to try your hand at the three strand loop, you may want to first buy or make a proper “fid”

Then: watch this video a bunch of times… yes, it takes a bit to learn but once you “get it”, it’s easy.

Refer to the photo of my rope set: I use two main floats with a small oval kicker float at the top. This makes it quite easy to see (identify from others) as the first float is often pulled under water when a plus tide comes roaring through. I tie my rope sections at 50’ lengths. Often times I’ll place pots in 40’ of water at a low tide to find I can still see them a few hours later after the tide is up. If I go past 40’ I’ll add another 50’ section using a ready link. The yellow smaller rope in the photo is Danielson’s crab trap yoke. They cost under $20 and make the outfit easier to use. Look close and you will see blue discs cut from storage tub lids. They prevent the figure 8 knots from slipping into and out of the holes in the floats.

Knots to use when attaching rope to a crab trap harness

Knots to use when attaching rope to a crab trap

Reactions: Jessals Fishing