Crab traps: round vs square

W
Wickerdave
Hi Guyss

Gonna take a shot at making crab traps. Need some input first. What do you think is the best crab trap, round or square, and why,

Thanks
Dave

jamisonace
jamisonace
The best trap I have in terms of numbers of crabs trapped is hexagonal. Second best is square. Third best and ironically most expensive are my round pots.

My $.02

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've had luck with both but prefer round. That's because the square ones I had were Danialsons and they were not as solid as the heavey duty round ones.

Casting Call
Casting Call
The question is so way out of my thinking! Do crabs really know the differance in the types and which ones to avoid? LOL Tony

L
Leon Fish
Build a better crab trap! There are some interesting videos on YouTube showing the underwater action of the traps; how the crabs get in, how they act once they get a chunk of food, how hard they try to and often do escape back out, and how easily the seals break into some of the traps to steal your bait. Ive only used snares and rings though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Wickerdave said:
Hi Guyss

Gonna take a shot at making crab traps. Need some input first. What do you think is the best crab trap, round or square, and why,

Thanks
Dave

an interesting comparison would be swing door vs. ramp traps.

I have great success with the low cost Danielson box traps modified like this:

I attach 2 pieces of 1/2" rebar across the bottom of each trap, corner to corner so they cross in the middle, using nylon zip ties, this adds just enough weight to keep them flat on the bottom even in strong tide/current conditions. I use double floats on each trap.

to each door, I wrap about 4" of 3/16" pencil lead wire, this provides quick solid door closing but doesn't slow the crabs on the way in.

for bait bag, I use one of the standard plastic mesh pouches secured vertically in the center of the trap, this pulls the crabs into the center and makes room for more crabs to enter and lets me add bait from the top (small pieces like koke/trout heads) or from the side for larger pieces...

some of these adjustments came after attaching GoPro to traps, here is best one that I uploaded, this was in the Siuslaw just up from the CG station:

cheers, roger

Reactions: Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
"to each door, I wrap about 4" of 3/16" pencil lead wire" Now that's a great idea!. That was one of the thing I did not like about those traps, was the door.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I agree. I have two danielsons. They catch a lot of crab but they are flimsy. Roger has some great ideas to make the better. I'll have to try that.

Irishrover said:
I've had luck with both but prefer round. That's because the square ones I had were Danialsons and they were not as solid as the heavey duty round ones.

B
brewer
That was awesome Roger, thank you for sharing.

D
DrTheopolis
X2 on Roger's ideas.

I'm not the world's biggest crabber (don't really like to eat them), but some fishing buddies are, and one of them (primarily a crabber) has a house right up the street from the Wheeler boat ramp. We hit it with an assortment of traps, from el cheapo Danielson's to some high dollar ones. Nothing I've seen has convinced me any are significantly more effective than others. but as mentioned, the Danielson's are flimsy. I think the round ones with the ramp-opening are easier to use. But in all, I don't have the vast amounts of experience to definitively expound on the virtues of each (although it's the internet, and I should probably just make some stuff up). I don't think my diehard crabbing buddies have a strong preference, either.

I just think the round style make it easier to get them out of the cage (without getting nipped). I think the last time I saw a crab draw blood was out of a Danielson's (could be entirely coincidence).

I'm guessing anything you build will be nicer than the Danielson's. Tack-welded small-diameter rebar could be pretty cool (would need some good urethane or epoxy paint, I would thin. At least some good rust-inhibitor undercoat with a solid equipment enamel topcoat.*)

* - I have some experience with industrial coatings and know a bit about coating chemistry (and can always consult an expert) if anyone ever has any questions. I might not know much about much, but I know a little about that.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
DrTheopolis said:
X3 on Roger's ideas.

Definitely going to add weight to the doors!

W
Wickerdave
My thought was that after I get them built I would spray them with a vinyl coating.

EOBOY
EOBOY
OK that video is really freaky!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
EOBOY;n596646 said:
OK that video is really freaky!

thanks man. I thought it was cool that my niece, who was on the boat when we made it, used the video in a mixed media report she did while an undergrad at UW (Marine Biology).