Kinda mean but I had to.

T
Trout-tacular!
Took some visitors from out of town fishing to the Crooked (as I mentioned in a report in the Crooked forum) and to the Fall. It occurred to me that I might have been the meanest host. I took them to the Crooked first, which resulted in a fun, all day, dry fly bonanza. Good count and good sizes on the fish. But then the next day I take then out to the Fall. The gin clear, can see everything, meaning they (the fish) can see everything too, river of defeat.

Scouted for fish and found a few pods. Told them to fish the pods until you either spook the fish and the pod scatters or you catch a fish which will spook the pod and scatter the fish. I did offer up more help here and there like fly selection and size, presentation possibilities (like the ever present down river presentation) and such. After everyone managed to land a fish I gathered them and told them "good day on the Fall, now lets get a beer." They looked at me kinda puzzled but with understanding.

I could't join them for their last day in town but suggested places they could go over that beer. After hearing all the options they told me unanimously and without equivocation, the Crooked.

I started to think that this might have been kinda mean. To take someone from an easy hotspot with plenty of eager trout like the Crooked to something with good size trout, which you can see as if their in an aquarium, that will only take a fly in the right size and color and presented in the exact feeding spot of the fish like the Fall. But I also thought that there isn't a better way to show OFF Central Oregon.

Thanks for letting share,
T-T

S
steelhead_slayer
The fall is a gorgeous river, making lower numbers not that bad. It is frustrating watching fish refuse your offers though

T
Trout-tacular!
I laugh ever time one snubs me. They remind me of a toddler saying no; just to assert themselves. When you ask them why they said no they just say 'cause', like thats some sort of explanation. In both cases I'm left there in wonder and completely confused.

O
OnTheFly
They would have really been disapointed had you brought them to the Metolius.;)

T
Trout-tacular!
OnTheFly said:
They would have really been disapointed had you brought them to the Metolius.;)

Yeah, that would have definitely put me in the 'mean guy' category. I did however suggest the Met and some good water to hit if they went, but they've already heard about the river and its reputation.

F
FlyBum
I don't think you were mean at all. That was a nice thing for you to do! You could have taken them to try and get a steelhead on the lower with a Skater ;)

M
MattZ
Am I to assume the Fall and Metolius are technical rivers whereas the crooked is a slightly more forgiving fishery?? The Metolius sounds fun. How far apart are all these waters? My wife and I are gonna try and be in Bend in November and I plan to hit as many spots as possible while in town.

I enjoy technical sight fishing. sometimes its fun to be humbled by those dumb fish. Its never mean to make people bring their "A game".

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
I don't think you were mean at all. That was a nice thing for you to do! You could have taken them to try and get a steelhead on the lower with a Skater ;)
That's brutal.

F
FlyBum
MattZ said:
Am I to assume the Fall and Metolius are technical rivers whereas the crooked is a slightly more forgiving fishery?? The Metolius sounds fun. How far apart are all these waters? My wife and I are gonna try and be in Bend in November and I plan to hit as many spots as possible while in town.

I enjoy technical sight fishing. sometimes its fun to be humbled by those dumb fish. Its never mean to make people bring their "A game".

Both of these rivers are within an hour drive of Bend. And yes, they are technical, but they can get stupid!