john day steelies

C
carl hungis
Kodiak said:
I live on the north fork of the Santiam. In the years of the drift nets we lost a lot of our native fish. There is a huge difference between the hatchery fish and wild fish. I am well over 200 river miles from the ocean. By the time we see hatchery fish they are darker, slower, and not nearly as aggresive. Our winter hatchery run has been removed by order of the feds, however we still have a wild run. These fish are still bright, strong, and very very angry when you hook one. these fish will battle to the death, and prefer that death be yours (poor Archie...thats a different story). These fish deserve to be protected, and please club away at the hatchery fish.

I hooked into one of those drifting below stayton last spring. The fish schooled like no other. It almost completley spooled me running up river! never have had that happen!

K
Kodiak
Sure it was a steelie?

Sure it was a steelie?

That drift from Stayton to Shelburn has some fabulous water don't it? Thats what I cut my steelhead teeth on so to speak. The naitives in this river I'm pretty sure are some of the nastiest on the planet. I have a friend who's passing came at the hands of a 20+ winter on the main stem in Jefferson. Dropped dead of a heart attack right there. We all new it was comming eventually, 2 yrs before a 14 lb. gave him a stroke. Any way that fish hung in that run for about an hour still fighting the rod till one of the local guys managed to get ahold of the rod and get the fish to hand. A discussion took place right there about what to do with the murderous fish....eventually we decided to release it..it was how he wanted to go anyway...besides a fish mean enough to kill a man needs to spread those genetics;)

J
joesnuffy
Holy Crap! a killer fish?

M
mgdguy
Kodiak said:
That drift from Stayton to Shelburn has some fabulous water don't it? Thats what I cut my steelhead teeth on so to speak. The naitives in this river I'm pretty sure are some of the nastiest on the planet. I have a friend who's passing came at the hands of a 20+ winter on the main stem in Jefferson. Dropped dead of a heart attack right there. We all new it was comming eventually, 2 yrs before a 14 lb. gave him a stroke. Any way that fish hung in that run for about an hour still fighting the rod till one of the local guys managed to get ahold of the rod and get the fish to hand. A discussion took place right there about what to do with the murderous fish....eventually we decided to release it..it was how he wanted to go anyway...besides a fish mean enough to kill a man needs to spread those genetics;)
WOW Kodiak...that is a STORY. Someone should flesh out that story and background of your friend...would make a great article in remembrance....