Jigs for trout

B
bigboy70
Well this year one of my many angler goals is to try new tactics for trout. I've wanted to try jigs but found a product called the trout magnet its small jig heads that come with a variety of 1 inch grubs. has anybody ever tried these? Also thought about tying some my self would be much like a wolly bugger more then likely just wanted to ask anybody doing this out there? also attempting to get my first trophy and for me the standard powerbait and worms aint doing it.

Thanks y'all

P
pez75
I have tried the trout magnet with no luck. Also looking to try a fly on a spinning rig.

B
bigboy70
yes im getting into fly flinging too waiting for the season to really start and my home lakes to open up.

P
pez75
I live in Portland and I usually have to go a way to get to some fishing water.

troutdude
troutdude
pez75 said:
I have tried the trout magnet with no luck. Also looking to try a fly on a spinning rig.

I've had TONS of luck, with such a set up. Done while BARELY kicking, in my tube. SLOW is the key. Have had the best success, with Woolly Buggers and Teeny Nymphs.

Haven't tried jiggin' for trout; but there are peeps that do.

B
bigboy70
Yea I'm sure trout jigs are nearly identical to Willy buggers or some sort of bunny leach I think I might tie some in pink I mean they got after pink powerbait why not a jig they'd be some bait fish patterns too add some red to male it look like bleeding gills I done know an idea to play with

F
FishFinger
Jiggin' for trout... I hear ya. Who wudda think steelhead would adore the lowly croppie jig... Seriously, a frigging croppie jig.

I too have been looking into kokanee / trout jigs. I wonder about the success of a bugger as a jig, I think it lacks the weight needed to archive adequate depth in a timely fashion. Adding lead further up the leader inhibits proper jig action. From what I gather 1/4 oz (7 grams) is the effective low end and 1/2 oz is favored. That's a lotta lead wraps for a woolly bugger.

Most of the jigs available are like Gibbs, Pline, Zingers, Buzz bombs, all are lead core and range 3/8 to 1/2 oz.

The one thing they all lack (IMHO) are dressed hooks. Just like a bugger, maribou as the last segment of a jig would give enhanced action.

I recently experimented with calf tail to dress a few hooks thinking the extra resistance in the water would give a nice articulated action to what would be considered commercially available stand by trout / kokaneee jigs.

B
bigboy70
Yea I agree I want to tie some bigger guys for vertical jiggin and some small to put under a float

F
FishFinger
TD... lol Those silly Australians. I was all in till they went metric, then I was lost.

What about hoochies? Would they be best jigged weighted and solo or trailing a spoon?

troutdude
troutdude
LOL Don't let metrics confuse you. 2.2 meters, is a depth of about 6.5 feet. While 3.3, is a depth of about 10 feet.

You guys may also want to investigate these. They were invented, by the dude who owns the lodge are Oregon's Lemolo Lake.

P.S. Lemolo's season opener, is April 1st. Anyone want to go?

http://www.lemololakeresort.com/reports/fishing-report/

D
DrTheopolis
Never been to Lemolo... which seems odd, since a friend's family used to own the resort.

One of these days.