Jig & color help

C
Chedster
Having a variety of jigs will be to your favor on the water. It seems on some days steelhead will hit anything put in their face while on others, only a certain pattern/color will work. I have been tying a variety of jigs for the upcoming winter steelhead season. I have tied more stand-by patterns but also have fun experimenting with new ideas and patterns I have seen elsewhere. Here is a fly pattern I tweaked with the addition of some chartreuse UV dubbing. Two of my favorite colors for steelhead with the rubber legs should hopefully trick some steelhead.

B
Born2Fish55
JeannaJigs said:
I tie my own variation of an aerojig and it's deadly, and not on a crummy gamakatsu hook that's tore up and done after one fish... But once again, think it comes down to timing, presentation, and confidence.

What do you mean by salmon carcass imitation? Ate you talking about a flesh coloration? I've got some I tie that are a flesh/white Combo with a twitching tail that work pretty well. Haven't seen them in stores but that's the beauty of tying my own.

The Salmon Carcass jig is just that....
it mimics the decomposing flesh of Salmon after the spawn...
In Alaska, we knocked the Jacks, Graying, Dollies, and small tidewater Halibut silly with them. I have tried tying my own, but I have not been able to blend my colors to match their mix.
I have tried them in our streams and had similar results right after and during the spawn (I am going to dig them out and take photos, which I will post).

M
michigan_transplant
I seem to remember a thread where someone was fishing and one of the Steelhead Stalkers finally got one after really working over the hole on a white jig, same thinking he said (dead Salmon caracass). something to keep in mind on those real slow days when they won't bite.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Chedster said:
Having a variety of jigs will be to your favor on the water. It seems on some days steelhead will hit anything put in their face while on others, only a certain pattern/color will work. I have been tying a variety of jigs for the upcoming winter steelhead season. I have tied more stand-by patterns but also have fun experimenting with new ideas and patterns I have seen elsewhere. Here is a fly pattern I tweaked with the addition of some chartreuse UV dubbing. Two of my favorite colors for steelhead with the rubber legs should hopefully trick some steelhead.
thats cool lookin. i like the rubber leg idea. very creative that might just be the ticket for ya this season.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, later in the year when fish are starting to die the fleshy colors jigs are great! White with a touch of shrimp-pink seems to do the trick. ;)

M
michigan_transplant
steelhead_stalkers said:
Yeah, later in the year when fish are starting to die the fleshy colors jigs are great! White with a touch of shrimp-pink seems to do the trick. ;)

If you guys make some of those up ill be sure to buy them later in the year.
btw I bought 4 or 5 colors of yarn from you. ill let you know how they work out.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, the hybrid (woolly bugger) jigs are my favorite, if I was to carry only one jig it would be that style. ;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
im debating on getting a bunch of yarn a bunch of jigs or a split descision.. not sure yet. but i wont be doin it for a week so theres no worry yet. i i would definitely pick the hybrid jigs out of any of them idk why but they just have that look to em.. havent got my hands on one yet but when i do mr steelhead wil hear the dinnerbell ring.