Jig & color help

brandon4455
brandon4455
hey guys,ill be going to the nestucca very soon and i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for jig colors and brands. im going to bi-mart. and also what color corkies. i already have some pink ones but what other colors will work well? thanks for any input,

brandon

S
SantiamDrifter
Anything pink will do.

N
n8r1
I don't have any advice for you but I'm eager to hear others who do.

I just went to an estate sale down the street from us, and the old man who passed on was an avid fisherman. Somebody beat me to his poles and other gear, but I was able to purchase a tacklebox full of rooster tails and other spinners for $12. There are about 50 spinners in all, 30 of which are still in their packages.

Also--he had a small box full of Steelhead jigs in all colors and sizes. I think there were about 35 of them.

Deal of the century if you ask me! Now I just need to figure out what jigs work well on the coastal rivers.

M
metalmania
Pink and white is my all time best winter steel killer. Second to that is a green head with pink body, especially in low water( I make mine so i'm not sure if anyone sells this combo). Anything with pink in it usually works. Tipping your jigs with a shrimp tail is also a good idea.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i have this jig rigged with a slip bobber for the nestucca right now. i am getting 2-3 more jigs along with spinners thanks for the replies guys

brandon

• PICT0042.jpg
S
steelheadstalker31
If I were going to purchase some jigs at Bi-mart I would probably use the wooly bugger jigs. Pink, black, white, shrimp pink, and cerice are some really good colors for winter steel.

brandon4455
brandon4455
steelheadstalker31 said:
If I were going to purchase some jigs at Bi-mart I would probably use the wooly bugger jigs. Pink, black, white, shrimp pink, and cerice are some really good colors for winter steel.

thanks for the reply bro really appriciate the help. hope you and chad get into a few out on the tucca. careful though. the fish there get big. my uncles best friend landed a 23lb steel out there on a pink marabou jig. tight lines,'

brandon

S
steelhead_stalkers
Sounds good to me!! I will be using a black hybrid, it kills more fish than seals do! :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
nightmare, year round has killed more fish than anything else for me.

Diehard
Diehard
orange works or peach caught coastal steel on these colors

S
steelheadstalker31
No, I'll be using a black hybrid, it only works on my rods :)

B
Born2Fish55
A weight forward brass beadshead jig (First Cast style) made with Chartreuse fluorocarbon yarn, crystal flash and green Marabou feathers tied in my own design. Works great under a Steelhead Stalker float. And if that fails, my backup, a 'Cop car' jig with a pink worm that has been 'crazy rigged' behind it. If those do not work it leaves only the 'Kitchen Sink' or a 'Dupont Spinner'

J
Jig'n
I second the Nightmare! ;)

M
Mckenzieguy
Brandon,

Not to start a flame war over color, I have found that success winter/summer steelheading comes from feeling confident in what you choose and where you fish. For instance, take two people using the same set-up in the same hole/run, the person who feels comfortable and confident with the choices he/she made will have a more successful outing. Presentation comes in a close second to feeling confident in your method..

Pinks/ whites/blacks/orange/yellow/salmon/red/flash/no flash all catch fish, but if you second guess yourself throughout the outing you'll never have success..

Just my opinion.

Steve

J
JeannaJigs
Mckenzieguy said:
Brandon,

Not to start a flame war over color, I have found that success winter/summer steelheading comes from feeling confident in what you choose and where you fish. For instance, take two people using the same set-up in the same hole/run, the person who feels comfortable and confident with the choices he/she made will have a more successful outing. Presentation comes in a close second to feeling confident in your method..

Pinks/ whites/blacks/orange/yellow/salmon/red/flash/no flash all catch fish, but if you second guess yourself throughout the outing you'll never have success..

Just my opinion.

Steve

definitely agree

B
Born2Fish55
Mckenzieguy said:
Brandon,

Just my opinion.

Steve

Well said... :clap:

S
SALTYFISH
a third for the nightmare, i put the hurt to the summers with that color. I like AEROJIGS.

B
Born2Fish55
SALTYFISH said:
a third for the nightmare, i put the hurt to the summers with that color. I like AEROJIGS.

Aerojigs.... really? I have friends that swear by them, but I couldn't pick anything up no matter what I tried, I switched over to a white Marabou with red flash and tagged on my first cast in the same hole. Go figure, temper-mental fishes out there!:(

My fav's are some of those 'Salmon Carcass' imitations that I picked up in Alaska, but I have not found a source down here in the lower 48... anyone know where to pick them up?

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the replies everyone, i was looking at aero jigs this past week at wal mart thought about grabbin one but did't. it think ill get one aero jig and one wooly bugger jig and somnthin else. id have to say im most confident in the colors black and pink. thanks for the input everyone. it's always a nightmare chosoing tackle until you get thew hang of it.
take care,

brandon

J
JeannaJigs
Born2Fish55 said:
Aerojigs.... really? I have friends that swear by them, but I couldn't pick anything up no matter what I tried, I switched over to a white Marabou with red flash and tagged on my first cast in the same hole. Go figure, temper-mental fishes out there!:(

My fav's are some of those 'Salmon Carcass' imitations that I picked up in Alaska, but I have not found a source down here in the lower 48... anyone know where to pick them up?

I tie my own variation of an aerojig and it's deadly, and not on a crummy gamakatsu hook that's tore up and done after one fish... But once again, think it comes down to timing, presentation, and confidence.

What do you mean by salmon carcass imitation? Ate you talking about a flesh coloration? I've got some I tie that are a flesh/white Combo with a twitching tail that work pretty well. Haven't seen them in stores but that's the beauty of tying my own.