Is it deep enough?

F
Fish_Hunter1
hopefully i will be purhasing my first fiberglass clackacraft this sunday and was wanting to take it out on either the clackamas or the sandy. which one would be better or what is the minimum water level? and where could i find the water levels?

D
DrTheopolis
As discussed a few days ago, 11.1 is the point it really starts to suck. The Clackacrafts seem to do a little better than most in the skinny water, but get ready to drag it -- drag from the sides, not the front, so if it floats and grabs current, it doesn't run you over (and pushing from the back can lead to a runaway boat).

If it's brand new, scraping the bottom might bum you out (although it will happen sooner or later). On the other hand, "fear no rock" and stuff, and leaving a new boat in the garage until fall would suck. If it's used, the bottom probably has scratches anyway. This is a decision for you to make, not me or anyone else.

I'm not much of a Sandy guy, but someone here can give you the scoop, I'm sure.

Congrats on the new toy.

F
Fish_Hunter1
thanks doc for all the info that you have givin me. and yeah its a used boat. i am very excited!!!

D
DrTheopolis
Fish_Hunter1 said:
i am very excited!!!
Duh, since I assume you're human.I'd tell you to have fun and enjoy, but that would be silly.First boat?

F
Fish_Hunter1
haha and its my first drift boat i have a hand me down old 16ft olympic

H
halibuthitman
You have a clackacraft... You can go anywhere you want-

Irishrover
Irishrover
Here is a site for the Sandy. It running about 8.5 feet that is skinny water but I have taken my Clackacraft down at 8 feet. Now mind you there might be a place or two where you'll have to step out of the boat to float it over thin water. Remember that when you see the bottom of that boat flex and kind of wobble, well that's what it is designed to do.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=sndo3&wfo=pqr

F
Fish_Hunter1
thanks so much guys! hopefully fishin is decent.

F
Fish_Hunter1
and another question which is a better drift? on the sandy from oxbow to dabney. or from to dabney to lewis and clark?