Invasive species

B
beaverfan
Good job contacting ODFW about it, did they mention if any Chub's are native to the Rogue?

C
colbypearson
the salmon kid said:
after me and a couple of buddies looked at the fish everyone said that it was a golden shiner
ya i got the picture offline but i got the picture of the fish that looks exactly like the one i got.
and in the regulations there is a page that says report any unfamiliar and invasive species
so i called them and told them that there is i different species that could make it into the hatchery
i was just concerned about our future fish and their health
and i didn't know that they would come all the way up to the hatchery

shiners really arent that shape at all especially the ones i am familiar with golden shiners.

first off golden shiners have tiny mouth's and tui chubs at any real size have decent size mouths to really be a menace since they kinda hit anything if there is a good number of them.

second shiners have a more of a diamond shape unlike chubs that are much more streamlined and narrow

Last edited:
F
fishkiller
My question is, why do all boaters in OR pay a $17 invasive spiecies fee? Where does that money go? Into the general fund like much of our tag increase does? Seems to me the sportsman fit the bill for all of ODFW experiments without any oversight. Catch a chub throw it on the bank like a squaw fish pretty simple.

T
the salmon kid
no odfw was closed so i left a message for them, telling them what i found and where i found it.
but the guy at the hatchery said that it was not good that they are up as far as the hatchery
he didn't say much he just said thanks for telling me,.. i don't know what he did with the fish,he just put it in a little cup and drove off in the little yellow golf-cart.

and i read that the golden shiner is food to the cuttroat trout,,that is good,.
but the only thing that i a worried about,. is if the come up in mass numbers they mite get into the spawning beds and destroy the salmon and steel head eggs

for instance Evans creek where it meets the rogue there is a little cliff and when you look off that cliff the water is black with the pike minnow and the golden shiners ,, literally thousands of them,.

what would happen if they moved up into the spawning beds?

C
colbypearson
the salmon kid said:
and i read that the golden shiner is food to the cuttroat trout,,that is good,.
but the only thing that i a worried about,. is if the come up in mass numbers they mite get into the spawning beds and destroy the salmon and steel head eggs

for instance Evans creek where it meets the rogue there is a little cliff and when you look off that cliff the water is black with the pike minnow and the golden shiners ,, literally thousands of them,.

what would happen if they moved up into the spawning beds?

be worried about the pike minnows over anything, shiners are almost always super small prey feeders on algae and other waterborn food like that and maybe a microscopic organism, salmon eggs would be pretty rare to see in there diet i am not too concerned, anyways think of the watershed as a whole there is so man fish in there that shouldnt be, look at evans creek in your example i have seen mass numbers of fish there and caught them most of those are chubs!!!, but that creek is like the gutter of random fish species i have seen 10+ species there from mentioned chubs to bluegill and others and i think there are shiners there also not as many as you think, the majority are chubs and pike minnow and the shiners (or shiner look a likes) i havent seen one over 4", i dont know how all these trashy fish get here but they are there......

when you think of a shiner think of a almost diamond shape with a big curve in the lateral line and they tend to have orange tipped fins on occasion, they have a really narrow head and a super small upturned mouth, they have a pretty deeply forked tail also and can range from silver to brownish.

T
the salmon kid
thanks for the incite guys and Colby me and you have got to go fishing for coho sometime ill show you some really good ways to catch them

V
viento
the salmon kid said:
thanks for the incite guys and Colby me and you have got to go fishing for coho sometime ill show you some really good ways to catch them

Is there such a fish as a Cohaaawwwgggg?

R
Razz
Rogue estuary upriver 15 miles New Zealand mud snails.FYI

O
OnTheFly
ODFW is involved with a Chub control program in East Lake. There are two floating catch nets near the resort and chubs are sorted out from the trout then removed. This operation happens twice a week during the season. From what I understand, East lake was first stocked during the fourties. Back then, stocking was done by carrying buckets of live trout by foot to the waters edge. Before that, East lake was void of all fish. So my question is: How did the chub get introduced? Was it done deliberately or were there chubs inadvertently dumped in during the stocking process?:think: Anyone know?

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Chubs were probably brought there to use as live bait. Thats just my guess though.

C
colbypearson
Throbbit _Shane said:
Chubs were probably brought there to use as live bait. Thats just my guess though.

or spread as so many other things are, and to say a lake that is level and can support life had no fish is ignorant, there wouldnt be a way to know if it had any fish back then who knows if there was a small sustaining population of chubs already (not saying there was). who knows how they got there.