Input on paint

J
JeannaJigs
The white beast is finally getting a facelift next month when I have some down time before fall fishing, and I'm looking for input on what brand of paint works best for painting fiberglass. I also am going to patch some worn down spots on the inside and repaint that as well. It's currently blue and I am tired of the white and blue lol. I think I'm going with a dark grey interior and then a black and grey exterior. Something that won't look so damned white.

I also am looking for feedback on refinishing the wood gunnels. I sanded it down and applied about 10 coats of helmsman spar urethane 2 years ago and it's wrecked and looks like crap again, and this is after being stored indoors. So I'm wondering if there is something that will hold up better because it's a pain in the arse to do again and again. I didn't buy a wood boat because I didn't want to work on constantly refinishing lol. The trim is white oak.

Any feedback much appreciated. I want to do it right the first time.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Darker colors on the inside will cook you in the summer. Something to consider. ;)

troutdude
troutdude
Good point GZ. Dark colors absorb the sun's rays.

F
Finneus Polebender
Will do a little research through my paint guys on the fiberglass thing ,definitely mcloskys man o war when it comes to spar varnish best stuff out there!

J
JeannaJigs
True, will see about the interior, all I know is that crap isn't going to be blue anymore. Good riddance to the blue!!

Thanks Dave!! I couldn't remember the name of that varnish, it had been mentioned before but I went with something else and forgot about it. Will add to shopping list.

G
GDBrown
When you get the varnish make sure you get the kind with ultra-violet protection, it lasts longer but still not forever. If it is possible store it under something that will block the sunlight from getting to it. Whatever color you choose for the interior make sure you can see your stuff when it gets dark out. Nothing worse than looking for something you really need in the bottom of a boat and you can't see it because it's a similar shade.

Good luck with the project. Would love to see some before and after photos as you work on it.

GD

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks gene. Yeah it was stored in a dark storage unit with no light and still didn't last long. Now it's just sitting outside because at this point I don't care because I'll be redoing it soon. I'll take pics of progress