If you could choose, what would be your home river and town?

M
Myhappyplace
Hi everybody. Great forum. I’ve read lots and learned lots from you. I’m an addicted fly fisherman, Life Member of TU, dedicated conservationist.

Here’s the part you have to forgive me for: I’m from out of state and planning to retire in OR in the next year. I live in CA and have fished mostly the Eastern Sierra and MT. In OR, I’ve only fished the Williamson years ago on private property above Chiloquin. So my knowledge of OR water is limited to what I read and see on videos. We have friends in Sandy, OR but they don’t fish so while they’re fun people, they’re useless on this subject.

My question: what river and town would you buy near, if you were in my place and wanted a great “home river”? I’d like it to have decent trout opportunities; it doesn’t necessarily have to be great for salmon/steelhead because I figure I can drive for that. I’d like my happy place to be no more than 1½ hours from PDX. After I get settled, I’ll hope to explore as many of your great rivers and little streams as possible. I prefer to hike and bushwack my way to some uncrowded water rather than stand in a river with 56 other people on either side of me:). I’m looking for advice on a place you guys think would be a good home base.

Thanks.
New Member - Myhappyplace

troutdude
troutdude
On the west side, Eugene would put you pretty central. You'd have the McKenzie, and Willamette Forks, in your back yard. Also not far, from great coastal fishing--or some southern streams.

But Central Oregon, like Bend, would be a better bet--for the type of fishing that you described. Bend proper; has IMO become a rat race. But there's plenty of places nearby that, would be less populated. Over there is the Metolius (which takes major skill), the Deschutes, the Crooked, and several other blue ribbon streams.

M
Myhappyplace
Thanks, Dude. I appreciate your feedback.

T
TimberTodd
I would also say Eugene/Springfield.

P
pinstriper
None of those meet the 1.5 hour from PDX requirement. I would suggest considering WA. You can live around Olympia and be 1.5 from Portland, 1 from SEA, live right on the Chehalis and minutes from the Sound. And no state income tax.

M
Myhappyplace
I'm grateful for all of your suggestions. Thanks to all of you.

M
mjans813
Albany gives you quite a few ponds that can be good for warm water fishing, and some of them get stocked for trout too. You also have the Willamette that goes right through town, with public sloughs all over that can hold some decent sized bass if you are in to that. It's is a pretty central area (you wouldn't have to drive far) for things like Portland and coastal streams; the cascades aren't too far away as well. I have never actually lived there, so I can't talk to what that would be like for retiring.

That being said, I will echo the Bend area for the Deschutes. Like troutdude said, though... you wouldn't be the only person moving there - its been blowing up.

troutdude
troutdude
pinstriper said:
None of those meet the 1.5 hour from PDX requirement.

Good point. But I went w/ Eugend and Bend, because there's not as much good stream fishing close to Portland (in Oregon anyway). Plus, anything within that range from Portland is ALWAYS crowded!!! Always.

Eugene, BTW, is about 3 hours one-way from/to Portland. And Bend is about the same range from/to PDX.

P.S. But Washington does have a Sales Tax, which could affect a retiree moreso than an income tax.

P.P.S. Go online, to Flying Pencil Publications and get a copy of Maddy Sheehan's "Fishing in Oregon" 11th Edition. It's our fishing Bible; and you'll learn a LOT in a short time.

I also highly recommend, "Oregon River Maps & Fishing Guide", by Frank Amato Publications. And "Oregon's Top Fishing Maps", also from Amato.

One more good one, for you, would be: "Flyfisher's Guide to Oregon", by John Huber. Wilderness Adventures Press, publisher.

Last edited:
Reactions: sapo
T
TimberTodd
troutdude said:
Eugene, BTW, is about 3 hours one-way from/to Portland.
I have been driving from Aloha to Coos Bay since 1989. 45 minutes to Salem, 1 hour to Albany, 4 hours to Coos Bay. I drive the speed limits. There are times it can take 20 plus minutes to get to 217 from home. Not sure about the 3 hours Eugene to PDX or vice versa unless traffic is a real cluster.

G
Gary W
Best and more varietys of fish is on the Oregon Coast but does not in your time frame to pdx. Eugene is close to the coast and has a nice airport.

M
Myhappyplace
You are amazing -- thank you on my first day here for all of your suggestion. Thanks to Troutdude, TimberTodd, pinstriper, mjans813 and GaryW.
I think we all realize that, before the internet, there was no way you could all give me great advice based on your experience fishing in Oregon.

Thanks so much. I'll check out the links and books you've recommended and be grateful for the help.

F
Fish
troutdude said:
Good point. But I went w/ Eugend and Bend, because there's not as much good stream fishing close to Portland (in Oregon anyway). Plus, anything within that range from Portland is ALWAYS crowded!!! Always.

Eugene, BTW, is about 3 hours one-way from/to Portland. And Bend is about the same range from/to PDX.

P.S. But Washington does have a Sales Tax, which could affect a retiree moreso than an income tax.

P.P.S. Go online, to Flying Pencil Publications and get a copy of Maddy Sheehan's "Fishing in Oregon" 11th Edition. It's our fishing Bible; and you'll learn a LOT in a short time.

I also highly recommend, "Oregon River Maps & Fishing Guide", by Frank Amato Publications. And "Oregon's Top Fishing Maps", also from Amato.

One more good one, for you, would be: "Flyfisher's Guide to Oregon", by John Huber. Wilderness Adventures Press, publisher.

Thanks for the book tips! I just ordered "The Bible".

Irishrover
Irishrover
What type of trout fishing are you most interested in? If you like fly fishing you might give Madras a look. It fits your drive time to PDX. You have the Deschutes river very close by and that is a trophy trout river not to mention steelhead. Also close by is the Crooked River it's a short drive to Prineville up to hwy 27 and some fantastic trout water. There are many other trout opportunities in the area. I owned land in the area and would have lived there to take up year round trout fishing. My wife figured we should stay in Sandy near or three kids and 12 grandkids. I was out voted. That area is by far an over looked part of the state..300 days of sunshine a year. Bend as Troutdude mentioned has become a rat race, but Madras remains a small town and is much closer via hwy 26 to PDX. My dream place was just out of Culver above the Crooked River overlooking the Cascade Mountains. Welcome aboard.

I just paid a little more attention to your question, you asked about the Willamette zone, but I see you are retired. Being retired I'd look outside that zone as it is by far the most populated area.

Last edited:
S
sapo
Bend is the best but Eugene is good

troutdude
troutdude
Fish said:
Thanks for the book tips! I just ordered "The Bible".

Another convert! Glad to help.

troutdude
troutdude
TimberTodd said:
Not sure about the 3 hours Eugene to PDX or vice versa unless traffic is a real cluster.

It's 45 minutes, from Eugene to Albany. Then 1.5 hours, from Albany to the burbs in Portland (all on I-5). With the wind at your back, light traffic, and a lead foot...maybe 2 hours one way; to/from the outskirts of each. But it can easily take 3 hours, with heavy traffic--or more, dependant on starting point and destination.

Just trying to give, a general feel for it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Don't overlook the Salem area. I recently moved further east in the Santiam Canyon and love it. There are numerous parks along highway 22, which threads it's way along the scenic Santiam River and leads to Detroit Lake, the most popular recreation park in the state and then over to the Bend area. Don't let Detroit Lake popularity deter you, though. There are tons of small streams and bass ponds in the area. Even here in Mill City, I'm only 90 minutes from Portland, and maybe a little farther to the coast.

S
sapo
Ya the Santiams are great for trout, plus they get steelies and salmon.

T
troutmasta
Sandy OR, on the sandy river(trout steel/salmon). 30 min from portland, 30 min from multiple trout lakes. 30 min from the clackamas river(trout steel/salmon). No sales tax. affordable housing Most important small beautiful town on Mt. Hood.

My list:
1st Sandy OR 30 min from PDX small town mountain vibe
2nd Bend OR 2-3 hours from P-town farther from coast, beautiful high desert mountain town. More trout opps but less salmon/steel
3rd Coast: any town from Lincoln city north to seaside is gonna be about 90 min from PDX and all have a multitude of fishing opps

All have plenty of good breweries as well.

And TD I get from sherwood to eugene in 90 min all the time. :peace:

Reactions: sapo
T
TimberTodd
troutdude said:
Just trying to give, a general feel for it.

Sorry if that post came across gritchy TD, I wasn't meaning to come down on you.