How protective are you over your steelhead spots or streams?

N
Native Fisher
I am sure everyone has seen the meme that shows 100 fisherman fishing a small spot with the caption "the internet ruining fishing spots since...." I was just thinking today, about that meme and how things have changed. I fish on small streams, some call them creeks, and to be honest they receive small hatchery plants or no hatchery plants and they get over crowded really easily. I didn't used to think talking about rivers made that big of a difference, but lately I have changed my mind. I was fishing a small stream the other day and some folks from 3 hours away had come to fish it because they had gotten a call from a local, that told them the fishing had picked up recently. These were nice guys and I enjoyed fishing next to them, so I wasn't upset or mad about "out of towners" fishing my home water, but it really made me think about my own mistakes in this area.

I made friends with a guy who had just moved to town, we came to be good friends and I showed him a lot of spots, and turned him onto streams he had never fished. He in turn showed other friends these streams, and spots on those streams he found on his own, but now his friends show up at the spots that I showed him and they bring their friends and the cycle just repeats. These aren't big streams which might hold lots of fish in a single hole, most of these places are good for a single fish or two and it is on to the next one, so a hole can be burnt for the whole day or several days in low water conditions, rather easily. I can't really blame my friend for wanting to share his fun, maybe show off some fishing prowess to his friends, after all I guess I did the same thing in showing him. So then I began to ponder whether or not steelheading could be a team sport or if it was best left solo? I cringe when I see people asking online for info on one of my streams, I'd like to help, but honestly I'm just not interested in sharing anymore information. I really wish people would think twice about sharing information online, even in private messages the end result is the same. You try to be nice and share some tidbit, the person drives 3 hours and fishes, catches a fish, then invites his friends next time pretty soon, well you get the picture.

The longer I think about the more I think that small stream steelheading is a solo sport. Some of the larger rivers that can be done by boat are great to share with friends and family, but there is something special about small stream winter steelhead fishing....Something that seems to get ruined so easily when the competitiveness, that almost certainly ensues, when you trek a half mile to your favorite hole only to find it full of people....

EOBOY
EOBOY
Very interesting topic.

T
Throbbit _Shane
It's not just a small stream steelhead thing. There's some bass ponds around here that id never give up. Id rather tell you which rock to stand on and what lure to use on a certain river then give you a location of a bass pond.

J
JonT
It's very bad mojo to show a friends' spot to other of your friends'. That's fishing etiquette 101. Shame on your "friend".

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'll gladly share some of my most productive and private steelhead holes. The number one spot is the Salmon River out by Welches. The best spot is Final Falls, get there before the sun hits the water and swing a fly. You'll have great fishing. Another great spot is the mouth of the Zig Zag River. Again get there before the sun is on the water and swing a fly. The only thing you have to watch out for is the guy from OSP. They closed my favorite spots some years back, now no one can fish there I'm lucky just to be able to hike by them. Seriously at my age I'm more than willing to share because I can't get to them on my legs like I used to. Someone ought to be able to enjoy them. The one spot I refuse to give up is the starboard side of my boat! :lol:

jamisonace
jamisonace
I love taking people to my favorite fly fishing spots but every one of them is sworn to secrecy before we go. It's my rule not to tell someone about a spot but to show them. We go together, fish it together and they keep it a secret. I got used to fishing the Provo River by myself after class in college so I've never felt compelled to have a fishing buddy. This is why I hardly ever take people to the spots I've found on my own.

I don't have any gear fishing secret spots. I put in and take out at the same ramps as everyone else.

A
Aton
" I think that small stream steelheading is a solo sport"

I don't blame you in the least...and that is basically my modus operandi when it comes to blacktail hunting. I think it is up to the individuals as far as unwritten rules go. That being said... My job takes me all over the states of Oregon and Washington, and I don't go anywhere, anytime of year, without fishing gear. And I find it quite enjoyable to fish new water. I don't make any apologies to any locals when I get there either. My fishing licenses are for the states of Oregon and Washington. And unfortunately, once, I even had to wave my license in dudes face and let him know I had every rite to be there. I try to get information on here or other forums because when I arrive I want to do like the Romans do when I'm in Rome. Whether that means using certain methods, or certain gear, or leaving certain amount of elbow space. And if it is a stream that has a hatchery, or releases hatchery fish, then most bets are off as far as expectations of privacy go. Don't get me wrong, and I know where you are coming from. I used to harvest Chanterelles, Hedgehogs and other fungi to supplement my income. Shared a few spots, and suffered the same snowball effect that you speak of. I think it is great that so many people want to be involved in the sport, save a few honey holes, but (minus poachers and litterbugs) sharing information and helping others is a win win.
And since it is that time of year, ask your self...WWJD?
What would Jesus Do?
Teach a man to fish:)

T
Throbbit _Shane

S
sapo
This is an interesting topic. As far as being protective about certain streams, not really. Unless the stream is small, not very fished, or relatively unknown I'll usually tell people what stream (or the general area if I don't want to name the stream) where I caught the fish. As for spots, I am somewhat protective and will share them with close friends. I think that steelheading can be a solo sport but I have a couple fishing-obsessed friends and I think it's better when we go together, at least two of us. However, I'm not super secretive or mean about my spots if I don't want to give them away to someone...I just give some helpful info and a general area.

S
steelhead_slayer
JonT said:
It's very bad mojo to show a friends' spot to other of your friends'. That's fishing etiquette 101. Shame on your "friend".

I agree. I learned that the hard way after showing a friend a few of my good spots. He in turn starting bringing his firends who didn't have as much respect for the sport, area, or fish.He will never go with me to my favorite spots now.

I will show someone a lot more water if they come out fishing with me than I will tell them about if they ask. I like to share but keep a few secrets to myself or only share with people I know I can trust. I have one tiny creek full of large eager fish that I have not shown anyone.

C
ChezJfrey
Knowing the general area you live, I'm not sure how I would behave. Where I fish (mainly Clack and Wilson), the systems are well-known and well-populated, so keeping secrets is moot. But small systems, in more rural areas, with little public accessibility is a different ball game and a few words can surely over crowd.

Hard to say how I would handle this, but I'm inclined to believe I would probably just sit by quietly.

C
Calir1
ChezJfrey said:
Knowing the general area you live, I'm not sure how I would behave. Where I fish (mainly Clack and Wilson), the systems are well-known and well-populated, so keeping secrets is moot. But small systems, in more rural areas, with little public accessibility is a different ball game and a few words can surely over crowd.

Hard to say how I would handle this, but I'm inclined to believe I would probably just sit by quietly.

Knowing the area myself, there are a million areas on more than one river to toss a line in that isn't in front of a hatchery. Having 2 or 3 guys fishing 3 or 4 Different rivers twice a week does not constitute over crowding a "secret hole".

jamisonace
jamisonace
By definition, even one person in a "secret hole" would be overcrowding.

Calir1 said:
Knowing the area myself, there are a million areas on more than one river to toss a line in that isn't in front of a hatchery. Having 2 or 3 guys fishing 3 or 4 Different rivers twice a week does not constitute over crowding a "secret hole".

C
Calir1
jamisonace said:
By definition, even one person in a "secret hole" would be overcrowding.

There are no "secret holes". I actually remember a friend of the OP sitting in a hole starting well before sunrise for two hours so no one else would crowd us without throwing a line in just so the OP had first water when he finally showed up. Funny things "friends" do.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have no idea what that has to do with the secret hole comment I made but it's definitely sad how butt hurt you are about this thread.

Calir1 said:
There are no "secret holes". I actually remember a friend of the OP sitting in a hole starting well before sunrise for two hours so no one else would crowd us without throwing a line in just so the OP had first water when he finally showed up. Funny things "friends" do.

C
Calir1
I am butt hurt because just yesterday I told him how the best years of my life were up there fishing with him. Today he publicly posts how much he wishes he didn't show me a few spots because a few more people are catching his fish. Being in the coast guard I have few/none local friends due to transferring every 4 years. If I wasn't fishing with him, yes I brought one of like 3 dudes I know have any interest in fishing with me. Please stone me for liking to have a buddy with me. This is why I am butt hurt.

Reactions: Irishrover
jamisonace
jamisonace
You sound like a nice guy and it's unfortunate that your work prohibits you from finding long term friends to fish with. No one here knows you so I guess it doesn't matter but no one would have known he was talking about you and to be honest I didn't think he was calling anyone out by name with this post.

I sincerely hope you can find some friends to fish with but if they show you a spot they consider secret, respect that and don't take others there later.

Calir1 said:
I am butt hurt because just yesterday I told him how the best years of my life were up there fishing with him. Today he publicly posts how much he wishes he didn't show me a few spots because a few more people are catching his fish. Being in the coast guard I have few/none local friends due to transferring every 4 years. If I wasn't fishing with him, yes I brought one of like 3 dudes I know have any interest in fishing with me. Please stone me for liking to have a buddy with me. This is why I am butt hurt.

Y
Yogidabear
I'm with you Calir 1 your a great guy, your videos are excellent too btw. I have fished that general area as well and I can tell you that there are hundreds of spots to fish on that river. The first time I fished it and not knowing were to go just the general river I caught fish. it made for a very long day and I never saw one other person. Calir 1 if your ever in my area I would be glad to take and show you any of my spots I fish. Thank you and I really like my buffalo gloves they are perfect.

secret spots I think your dreaming

N
Native Fisher
Kelly, I'm sorry man I never meant to hurt your feelings, I shouldn't have used our experiences together as an example for the point I was trying to discuss. Just so everyone knows Kelly, CaliR1, is a great guy and yes he is the one who sat at a hole 2 hrs before daylight "holding" it because my old lady wouldn't let me out of the house that early. You are a good friend man. I tried to call you, but ended up just leaving a voicemail. I don't regret showing you any spots, and I enjoyed fishing with you and our families hanging out. I'm sorry this post was never meant to be seen as a personal attack on you or anyone else. You were not the only person I was talking about nor the only example I used.

I was just trying to start a discussion about a topic that has frustrated me at times. One that I am as guilty as anyone else, which is that when we share our successful spots, runs, techniques whatever does it in fact lesson our future successes?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'm sure glad Lewis and Clark were of a mind to share what they found. I've been more than happy to share fishing spots and knowledge with folks on this forum. Calir1, as a guy who fishes out of Astoria, thank you for your service and thank you USCG.