I just want to know

G
Gary W
I have lived in the valley for years and waited for the first rains to fish the Alsea Now I live in Winchester Bay.We used to fish fall creek (alsea system)below the hatchery for silvers and chinooks and usually used a piece of red yarn and a small marshmallow. Fall creek would close around the middle of October and we always prayed for rain around the 1st. Many times it would not rain till it was already closed. My question is for old timers who have lived on the coast for many years. How much rain will it take for the salmon to blow out of the ocean to fresh water. Will they be hungry soon after they come in the bar? Or will they jump all around your boat with no bite on? How long will I be able to still catch salmon in tidewater before I quit trolling?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
If you live Winny Bay you should be slaughtering them!

G
Gary W
Gary I have seen very few nets flying or boats sideways for almost two weeks. I did not go out today but saturday we went out and trolled with cut plug herring from winchester bay to the elk refuge and back I only heard of two caught near the elk refuge. It got rough in the afternoon and sunday was windy with 3-4' swells in the bay so no fishing then. This morning it was calm but I bobber fished in the harbor with no luck. Never saw any carcases in the trash at the cleaning station this afternoon.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
It was pretty good off the shore at Half Moon Bay 10 days ago, fish the incoming tide in that area! Trying catch fish after they leave tidewater is tough they boogie up river fast!

G
Gary W
Yeah silvers were pretty thick 10 days ago. I quit then because I had my two and could not find chinooks unless I threw spinners below winchester creek or half moon bay or Osprey point but it was shoulder to shoulder. Those fish were step fish. They are still there but I saw nothing rolling below winchester creek today I fished an hour before and an hour after high slack.