How to prevent salt water corrosion?

T
TJR_84
I have taken my boat in salt water and on some of the hinges on my compartments are getting corrosion, anything that i can spray on them to prevent it? I thought about W-D40 but i have carpet and dont want it to soak it up!

O
OnTheFly
Wash everything down with fresh water.:think:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Clean it well with a steel brush,then apply a few coats of auto paste wax, letting it dry between coats. Re-apply the paste wax after a couple of trips for best results. Make sure you get it in all the nooks and crannies.

Reactions: bigsteel and gjonesjr
T
TJR_84
My boat has carpet throughout and i wash it with fresh water everytime but still i get corrosion due to the salt water.

Reactions: bigsteel
K
Kevinb5688
I use clp ( clean, lubricate, protect ) on my carpet. Wait 1 hr then spray it out with a hose. Enough stays behind that it protects but dosent stain or smell.
It is basically wd40 but way better. The military uses it so you know its good stuff. Be careful with your motor in salt water. I flush my 8hp kicker every trip and it still built up enough coroision to clog my thermostat. A little clp and boiling water and she was good for one more year.

G
GDBrown
It really helps if you can do the cleaning before the saltwater has a chance to dry! If it dries then the rinsing takes a lot longer because you have to get the dried salt back into solution before it will rinse completely from the material. Also make sure your anode is fresh and working correctly as salt water will conduct electricity (electrolysis) better than fresh water.

GD

Reactions: bigsteel
D
deejay
anything metal or electrical that could corode i spray with corrosion x get.jpeg wiper motors, everything under the motor cover, bilge, suspension seats, hinges, etc. did i mention electrical everytime i go out