Hoping to get some help on salmon fishing from you

B
bakercity
We are retired and live in Baker, Or. My wife and I would like to make a trip to the coast and hopefully get an ocean salmon trip this summer or fall. Can we get help on the best time and location(s)? If anyone can recommend a guide company it would also be helpful. If you wish to respond by PM, my address is darlhagey@gmail.com

T
troutmasta
Just found your question.
Go in Sep. Look for open saltwater regs.
Captains Reel Newport OR
Ill post more tomorrow. Good night.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmmm, I have only fished the Salmon River and the Alsea over in that area, so I'm not an expert at all. But if I were you, I would start by reading what I could find in the archives. There is a ton of information there for you. Are you planning on doing some ocean fishing or are you hitting the coastal rivers? If you can afford to go with a guide for either choice that would be great. Going out to sea with an experienced captain and crew sounds like it would be great fun and I don't think it is all that expensive. Maybe some of the folks here can steer you in the right direction. Whaddya say, folks, can you help this retired couple out?

H
HereFishy
In Sept. I'm heading back to Elk City to target salmon on the Yaquina. I've had good luck there in the past. Last year I hooked in to the fish you see on my profile picture. It was a monster and it was still the smallest fish to come out of the water all weekend. If you're not sure where Elk City is, it's between Toledo and Newport. The Elk City campground has a dock next to a boat ramp. I've never seen anyone walk off of that dock empty handed in the fall..

Happy Fishing,
Kyle

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
No useful advice, though I want to welcome you to the forum! :)

Welcome to the forum!

F
fishsauce
There are a lot good guides out there. Just Google to get their contact information. These guys mainly guide the northern Oregon coast.

David Johnson
Chris Nordling
Scott Amerman
Joe Salvey
Grant Scheele

T
troutmasta
Just got back here sorry,

The last few years ODFW has lifited ALL regs on ocean salmon during Sep. You'll have to cross your fingers and CHECK before you go, but usually in Aug. Itll be announced if it is . Clipped and Non clipped, Nooks and Hos. That means everything.

Captains Reel is the place to go

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
troutmasta said:
Captains Reel is the place to go

Agreed. Though some of the good guides have moved to, I believe, the charter service out of Newport Marina.