Hike in fishing: Are you concerned about personal safety?

R
rainman
OnTheFly said:
That's hilarious!:lol: Reminds me of a redneck joke about grandma wanting ammo for Christmas.:lol:

Is this the same grandma that got ran over by a reindeer ?? :lol:

S
ShdwmnkyX
As far as people go in BFE I really only think you have to be worried if you come upon a Marijuanna grow operation, and from what I'm told you can smell them long before you see them. You do get the odd whacko out there but I would be more worried wandering around in certain parts of the city, or crowded forest land. As far as animal's I'm pretty sure anything in Oregon will keep a healthy distance from a human. The enviroment itself is probably more of a threat than anything.

That being said I usually carry my folder, a Machete, and a pistol if I'm going to do head to the middle of nowhere, but I'm lazy so I never do.:lol: Really the safest thing to do is take one or two friends with you.

M
Mike123
OnTheFly said:
My concern would be the lowlifes. Plenty of dense forest out there to hide a body.

Yea me too... especially around the Metro rivers.
There are crazy, psycho fisherman too.(I'm sure some are on fishing websites). No doubt people have come up missing from going fishing by themselves. I'd imagine it was because some psycho fisherman got mad because of something stupid and decided he'd just throw them in the river. Then it turns up that the person just drowned and was an accident. Never go to the river without my side arm. I tend to open carry to let people know I have a gun as well.. Just letting people know you can defend yourself is the main key. Very rarely does anyone ever have to use a weapon to defend them self. I wish I had a dog I could take with me.

I have a PFD vest that I sometimes wear when hiking and wading in remote areas. It inflates when you fall in. I made it go off by falling off my raft this year on the Santiam. It works good!

M
Mike123
TTFishon said:
Well I've had scary encounters with animals and people. I think a gun would have helped with at least two of the animal encounters but I don't think it would have turned out so well with the human encounters. You start pointing a gun and it kind of ups the ante.

I almost forgot to answer your question. Yes I am concerned for my safety. I have social anxiety issues so if I can help it I usually try to avoid anyone I happen to see.

I worry about that as well... Like I said before, I think it's just an intimidating thing. You may deter a bad guy from attacking you if he sees the cannon you have on your hip. If you pull your gun out you better be ready and willing to use it. Sad but true... I have my fish beater for scum bags that I don't want to kill, but just wound. :lol:

Irishrover
Irishrover
I agree with metalmania and GD Brown. I am much more concerned about falling on my butt and knocking my head on a rock or something similar. I've heard of darn few assault in the woods compared to the nightly happenings in P-Town. I remember last year when that lady killed her husband and dumped him near the Sandy and tried to make it look like a fishing trip gone bad. That being said Troutski's analogy of having tire chains is a good one. Go prepared and go aware.

I'd would like to through one more thing out there when it comes to being aware. If you think you will ever be in a position where you might have to use deadly force, you should have a post shooting plan together before you pull the trigger. A shooting event does not stop when the lead stops flying, that's when things just start rolling. I'm not saying don't shoot I'm saying be prepared. There are three areas that need to be cover to survive. One just surviving a shooting physically, two you need to survive it legally. This is not as easy as it seem. There are two court systems out there civil and criminal. It is likely that you could see both of them. Know the law before you pack and know a good attorney who knows deadly force issues. Have an understanding of the psychological effects that you may incounter in a post shooting environment. Be safe and be careful;)

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I myself carry a pistol when I'm out alone, which is often. My first defense though is my dog. She is alert to everything. When she starts growling, something is severely wrong, and she's never been wrong she's alerted me to some sketch situations. I've had some sketch encounters out there with people and animals. As far as animals go, I'm more concerned about the safety of my dog, she'd go after a cat without a second thought if one approached and she's a tough dog, but I don't think she'd stand a chance against a cat, in which case, I'd do whatever necessary to protect her. As far as people go, there's nothing more unnerving to me, for some reason, than to be out in the middle of nowhere, and come across someone where there shouldn't be someone...I always get wierd vibes...in which case I leave the area usually because it gives me bad anxiety. Heard too many stories about crap that goes down...and while the likelyhood of such an encounter might be low, I'm not fond of taking chances. I also always carry a machete on my backpack's shoulder strap that is clearly visible for the purposes of cutting brush, but it might work as a deterrent a bit too, I myself wouldn't approach someone with a 24" machete, but that's just me.

J
JSpencer
I have a small fillet knife in my fishing vest, mostly for cutting bait/line. But if i ever needed to...it's there.

Chances are my old security training would kick in before i ever reached for the knife though. Come to think of it, i would probably get in trouble for concealing it, it's over 3 inches. I just dont have a practical means of keeping it out in sight unless i set my pack and vest down, usually i only do that if im fishing a spot for awhile and loose some leads or need to change things up.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
After reading these posts, it looks like the concensus indicates the need for some kind of weapon in addition to other survival items. Although no one ever intends to use one, it would certainly give you an advantage in a bad situation. Also, simply displaying a hand gun or a fillet knife may discourage anything from going further. If used for nothing else, I believe it would give you a better sence of security.

Here are some other items that would be handy to have in case of trouble. Some of these have been mentioned.
Tow rope, battery cables, chains, Come-a-Long, water, change of cloths and sleeping bag, chain saw, matches. Other camping things, like a tent, lantern, food, (Jamesons?:think:)etc.

I guess the bottom line here is to plan ahead for any situation and weather and most likely you will come out of it OK. Nothing's going to stop me from seeking out new and remote places to fish. I love it out there. Being stuck in the wilderness can be a humbling experience. Be safe out there.:)

Last edited:
F
fishtales
Well last night acouple of us went up into to woods to play with our off road toys and broke down. Acouple of guys stopped in their truck and gave us a hand. They had a full tool set and offerd to fix it there on the spot.

Really nice guys! We thanked them and went home!

M
Markcanby
I have several friends that are into the self defence stuff an this subject has been talked about a lot. First you need to asses the situation or attacker would a warning shot work? In a house or town its not safe to fire a warning shot and someone strung out on drugs wont respond. Second don't shoot to wound! Wounded men can testify.

I also read above that there is no wildlife in Oregon that is threatening! These people must have never walk up on a Cougar or Bear. Sure most times they will run from you but I dont plan to count on that. Also most of us have a kid or two I don't know if a Cougar would avoid My 10 year old at 4'9" an
90lbs He is well within attack size.

F
fishtales
Threat Dynamic is a good training for for police and and is open to citizens. I have done it and fealt real.

C
chris61182
Markcanby said:
Second don't shoot to wound! Wounded men can testify.

Though you don't shoot to kill either, you shoot to stop the threat. Now what ever that means is another story ;).

J
JSpencer
And this is why i like all the pressure point training i received. It's awfully hard to build an assault case with no visible injuries, and a lot easier to defend.

H
halibuthitman
chris61182 said:
Though you don't shoot to kill either, you shoot to stop the threat. Now what ever that means is another story ;).
I don't shoot to kill either, 2 in the chest... one in the head.... if they die from these wounds... bummer;)

M
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
I don't shoot to kill either, 2 in the chest... one in the head.... if they die from these wounds... bummer;)

:lol::lol::lol:

B
bigfootfish
Well now....

Well now....

If you are out in the woods, then a really hungry cougar could cause some problems. Most likely you wouldn't even know a mountain lion was there until too late. Perhaps. And surprising a Mama Bear with cubs would be a tricky situation.
I myself? Honestly, there's nothing like placing a few claymores on your backtrail if you think you might be being stalked.:lol::yay::lol:
And a Bowie Knife is a great little edged tool too.:)

BFF

F
FishFinger
SNDSLGR said:
I agree, I was just having some fun with the scenerio. Remember also that Oregon is an open carry state, no need to conceal anything though while in the local 7-11 may not be a great idea standing on a river it would be totally acceptable... and a sidearm in plain view would stop any of these "friendly" encounters I am sure.

True statement, Oregon is both a shall issue and open carry state. Not to hi- jack the thread but the are a few FYI that need to mentioned.

Several local municipalities have passed their own bans on the open carrying of "loaded" hand guns. In essence all your "allowed' to do is carry it as an expensive hammer. Having a CHL preempts these bans, but if confronted by a LEO not "in the know", anticipate getting real grief for exercising your rights as defined in the Oregon Constitution.

The 7-11 example is not totally correct. The defining line is between public and private properties. * federal building, court houses and sheriff dept have bans beyond the Oregon constitutional limits**

A 7/11 tho a "public store front" is till considered private property ("we reserve the right to serve any one") If asked to you must vacate the property, if not; your indeed trespassing in the eyes of the law.

I'm a proponent of open carry, however with the shear numbers of the antis you have to be careful not to venture too far off the public trail.

Y
Yentz
I wouldn't be to scared of fishing out in the woods by yourself. As people have already mentioned, biggest issues is falling and breaking your leg, not having someone try and kill you.

I WOULD however, recommend two things if you are concerned.

1. A cell phone. If you break a leg out there, you are going to be stuck unless you have a cell phone on you.

2. A machete. It's practical for hacking through some underbrush on your way to the stream. In addition, there are Cougars and Bears around here, so its not a bad thing to have for scaring off wildlife.

P
Pita
I agree with everything that all of you have said and appreciate this post. I also venture out into the deep woods alone often and have given this topic much thought as well.

I once asked an old timer I ran into in Mt. Hood Nt'l Forest about this (who was not packing heat) and he broke it down into one simple statement ... "Why would thugs bother to drive all the way out here into the forest to pop someone if they can do it right in their own neighborhood?" Basically he was saying because you are alone, you feel more vulnerable and can become paranoid easier.

As for wildlife threats, we are lucky to live in a state where they truly are minimal to human safety. Cougars rarely starve around here because small game is in abundance and there are no fatal cougar attacks in Oregon on record. A black momma bear I guess would be the only real risky predator that I can think of.

Not saying it isn't wise to carry a weapon and the tools you all have mentioned are great things to have, it's just my opinion that you probably (hopefully) will never have to use a gun when you're out there. Then again, look at the John Day incident that happened this year, though that was hardly in the deep woods at all.

Given a choice when I'm hiking by myself, I'd choose a GPS and first aid kit over a firearm. As you guys have said, the biggest threat to my safety is probably my own clumsy @ss. :pray:

M
Mike123
There may be no deaths from cougars.. but there have been plenty of attacks for me to carry a gun! I've heard stories from people hunting that have turned around just to see a cougar in mid air leaping toward them. I myself have been stocked while bow hunting. Luckily i didn't get attacked. I've also had a momma bear and 3 cubs running around my tent at night.. woke up next morning to have them sitting in the tree right next to me and I didn't even know it. Cougar numbers are on the rise right now! I've seen and have been hearing reports of them in places they "shouldn't" typically be this year.