Hike in fishing: Are you concerned about personal safety?

L
lilsalmon
sheesh....I go fishin alone all the time...dont have a handgun (yet...but soon when I find the perfect inexpensive type :)) I have a machete but it is so dull all I could do is whack them up the side of the head....:lol: I have never had any trouble though. I think because I chose the right spots....no fish so no other people :D

E
eggs
Having a CHL I carry everywhere... but that's me .380 in the woods I carry the .357...

T
Throbbit _Shane
I dont carry but its probably best i dont :D I need to buy a sharp machete just in case though... Last year i had a stringer in the water with some trout and i look down and theres and tiny snake attached to one.

J
JeannaJigs
GROSS!! I'd of ran and left the stringer.

O
OnTheFly
T
Throbbit _Shane
JeannaJigs said:
GROSS!! I'd of ran and left the stringer.

I jumped up on a big rock, and it started to rain stones in the direction of the snake :D

J
JeannaJigs
It would have to be a pretty big rock for me to stick around lol

Z
ZeeBorn
Unless your going into country with large populations of dangerous animals your greatest danger in the wilderness is personal injury. If you become unable to get back to your vehicle then your spending the night outside. That alone can be deadly. You should make up a small survival kit to take with you, and practice the use of the items in it. Also a personal location beacon would a good bit of insurance. Stay aware of your surroundings tell someone where your going and when you will be back.
I wouldn't worry about a psycho lurking in the woods. But if your going into places with good populations of dangerous animal or a place frequented by druggies or squatters then a easily accessible side arm and blade would make fore good hiking companions along with the survival kit.
Have fun, be safe and ketch fish!

C
cookshot
I don't think there is any downside of carrying if you know guns. The people who go out and buy one without ever shooting are the ones who could get into trouble. I generally carry a .22 with 2 snake shot and 3 hard shells (leave it on an empty chamber) and if I'm really getting out there I'll pack my .44 or .357. I'm not worried about an animal attacking me, but If I were to see a cougar or bear I'd like to be able to scare it off.