High lakes thread..

T
Throbbit _Shane
Four Mile Lake and the Sky lakes are in southern oregon. Iv only been to four mile its a big lake and has a great view of mt. mcloughlin, next year i plan on hiking to those other lakes not far from there.

I just looked at your map and WOW there are a lot of lakes up there. I know iv probably been to a few when i was young, my family is from the dalles and hood river.

Too many lakes and not enough time LOL

N
Ntofishing
Spydeyrch said:
I am assumming that you are refering to the soutern part of Oregon, right? I ask because there is an AWESOME hike up in the Olympic National Forrest in Washington called Seven Lakes Basin. It actually has 8 lakes but it is just amazing!! The lakes are full of wild cutts, brookies, and bows. Not the same place as what you are talking about, right?

-Spydey

Yes you are are right. The seven lakes basin I am talking about is located in the sky lakes wilderness.

The best part of this area is finding the streams that connect the lakes and trying to sneak up on the fish. You will mostly find brook trout in these lakes and streams but there is the chance to catch a rainbow.

There is also the mountain lakes wilderness area that is on the other side of hwy 140 that has a few good fishing lakes in it also. In my experience this area has gotten a lot less pressure than Sky lakes but it has been a long time since I have been in that one. ( since High School )

J
jkeek9
does anyone know when the road to olallie lake and monon lake will be ok for a vehicle to get in, i know in some years past it has been accessible by now but it seems like we will be waiting until towards the end of june this year with the winter the way it was

E
eggs
Yea late June would be the earliest unless the new resort owners are going to have the road plowed before then..

J
JHawk
Went up to Tule Lake today to do some scouting. The snow was finally gone, but we didn't see a single fish break the surface and didn't get a single hit. It's still pretty cold up there so I'm wondering if the water temp was just too low for them to be very active for feeding.

C
CCRedbands
My neighbor is on the crew plowing the Crater Lake Rim Drive, he's the one that told me 20' a few days ago, but they're making good progress on the plowing. You can get to Cleatwood Cove already, perhaps all the way around the lake by now.

I have a family reunion taking over the whole lodge this holiday weekend, with some avid fishermen in the bunch. They saw lots of BIG active fish in Crystal Spring, and with now having a few days of heat (and more on the way) there will be more fish coming up from Upper Klamath Lake for the colder waters. Too many bugs still to get into the Seven Lakes Basin, Puck Lake, etc.

B
bobaconda
have u been to beth lake in oregon mt hood area

B
bigcase007
went to Puck lake this weekend, and was a big bust, didn't see any fish rising in the early morning or evening, Big Puck lake looks like it's pretty shallow for the most part. Little Puck seemed to have enough depth but couldn't buy a bite, usually we fish the seven lakes basin but decided to try this lake out. I wouldn't suggest it. The mosquitoes were bad at times but had plenty of spray for it. Next year were looking for a lake we can drive to and maybe hike from there some other lakes like Fourmile lake or something like that, anyone have any suggestions haven't been to Central Oregon and looks like there lots of lakes like that may fit the bill, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

P
psguardian
Spydey, I love the map! Things I would add: best point of entry (parking & maybe a trail head), water access (bank, waders, tube/toon, boat), hike-in (difficult/moderate/easy). Most of which i'm sure would need to be filled in by actual visitors, unless your online sources have if this info.

Looking forward to this getting fine tuned.

~psguardian

S
Socaaron
eggs said:
I figured I would start a thread about how to get to some of the high mountain lakes.. I will update this as I have time and explore more this summer.. Anyone willing to contribute would be welcome.. I will be adding more for Olallie area in the near future..

These lakes are up behind harriet lake

Buck Lake - bout 8 acre lake /w a couple camp spots, bout 1/2 mile hike in.. You take NFSR 57 past harriet lake and hang a left on NFSR 58 go up a mile or so and take a right on NFSR 5810 and ride it for about 8 or 9 miles then you will see a road take off to the left this is NFSR 210 it is barely marked but usually has spray paint in the intersection up this road about a mile there is a large pullout on the left hand side of the road enough to put like 10 cars in.. trainhead is right there.. good rainbow and cuttie lake bank access is rough but fishes well..

Pyramid Lake - bout 6 acre lake w/ 8 or 10 camp spots, bout 1/2 mile hike in.. You take NFSR 57 past harriet lake and hang a left on NFSR 58 go up maybe 5 miles, make sure to stay right when you get to the fork with NFSR 5830 to stay on 58.. you take a left on NFSR 210, this road is unimproved.. a subaru can make it but with some good driving.. take 210 to the end, it will dead end at the trail head in a parking area big enough for like 10 cars... good rainbow lake but rough bank access

Hideaway Lake - bout 8 acre lake 1/8 mile hike at most.. You take NFSR 57 past harriet lake and hang a left on NFSR 58 go up maybe 3 miles, make sure to take a left when you get to the fork with NFSR 5830 to get on 5830.. keep going on it for like 8 miles, stay to the left when you get to the fork with NFSR 130 to stay on 5830 until you see a turnoff on your left for the lake, it should be marked.. good rainbow lake and decent bank access
When was the last time you were up to some of these? not saying you are incorrect but I've been hitting a lot of lakes and ponds up on Hood this year. The directions are fine but my catches have been much different.
Buck was all wild rainbows with no cutties
Pyramid was 100% wild cutties though caught plenty and some of good size too!
Hideaway was just wild cuts too but I only caught 2 so not ruling the bows out.
Also hit Dinger which is all wild brookies
my goal is to fish as many of the lakes and ponds (especially the unnamed ones) up on hood/clack as i can this year

E
eggs
Socaaron said:
When was the last time you were up to some of these? not saying you are incorrect but I've been hitting a lot of lakes and ponds up on Hood this year. The directions are fine but my catches have been much different.
Buck was all wild rainbows with no cutties
Pyramid was 100% wild cutties though caught plenty and some of good size too!
Hideaway was just wild cuts too but I only caught 2 so not ruling the bows out.
Also hit Dinger which is all wild brookies
my goal is to fish as many of the lakes and ponds (especially the unnamed ones) up on hood/clack as i can this year

I havent been to some of these in 2 or 3 years..

I fished what would have been the bigger 07 stock or fresher 09 stock... they stocked again last year.. they do seem to be inconsistant on what flavor of trout they put in some lakes.... thanks for the update on your findings

Last edited:
H
HeBeGB
@socaaron Was that really a question or just a round about way of bragging? :) I've fished a lot of the spots on this thread over the past couple of years (thanks eggs!) and it seems like any lake that gets stocked up in those alpine areas has a chance of producing bows, cuts or brookies or even some weirdo hybrid cut-bows. I think they stock all three in various locations but I have never been able to get any info on exactly what they plant where.

S
Socaaron
HeBeGB said:
@socaaron Was that really a question or just a round about way of bragging? :) I've fished a lot of the spots on this thread over the past couple of years (thanks eggs!) and it seems like any lake that gets stocked up in those alpine areas has a chance of producing bows, cuts or brookies or even some weirdo hybrid cut-bows. I think they stock all three in various locations but I have never been able to get any info on exactly what they plant where.
Lol I wish it was bragging! There's so many lakes up there I've yet to visit! I do most of my trips out of Fishing in Oregon(9 yrs out of date come on guys!) and forest service maps. I've been surprised on many occasion to find completely different fish then what was/is listed to be in there. But as long as there is fish that's all that matters right! I'm having fun just driving around finding fishies! lol.

S
Socaaron
brandon4455 said:
odfw does not stock cutthroat trout.

they do in very limited quantities and at only a few hatcheries. only a little over 7,000 lbs last year were reared/released compared to the over 1 million rainbow trout. @HeBeGB You are reading the sheets right :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for crrecting me,i apologzie for my ignorance. never knew there were hatchery cutties.

S
Socaaron
brandon4455 said:
thanks for crrecting me,i apologzie for my ignorance. never knew there were hatchery cutties.
Neither Did I until HeBeGB posted that link so don't feel bad! All the cutties I've caught have been natives

H
HeBeGB
@Socaaron yeah it was cool to find out that some of the lakes on this thread are the same ones that get those limited numbers of brookies and cutthroats I wonder if it has to do with their ability to handle warmer (shallower) water because some of those "lakes" are more like glorified puddles. :) I can't wait to get up there in a few weeks!

S
Socaaron
HeBeGB said:
@Socaaron yeah it was cool to find out that some of the lakes on this thread are the same ones that get those limited numbers of brookies and cutthroats I wonder if it has to do with their ability to handle warmer (shallower) water because some of those "lakes" are more like glorified puddles. :) I can't wait to get up there in a few weeks!
let me know if you can't company I'm running up there every time I get some time off. Usually off thursday/friday