High lakes thread..

H
HeBeGB
Last weekend I went out to lower lake and had a great time (thanks eggs!). Got some decent sized cutty's and a little rainbow too. I did some poking around out there at several of the other lakes a little further down the trail. Most of em are fairly shallow but a few seem big enough to have fish. Sheep, Wall and Averill should all have fish but the best of the lot in my opinion is Gifford.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
High laks Highway lakes

High laks Highway lakes

I spent a 5 day weekend at Lava lake last weekend, there is just something about Central Oregon - it truly does recharge the batteries. Not to mention the Trout are the size of Footballs, spent my days and nights with a couple of Offer's - Mokai and BottomBob. A total laugh fest, my gut is still sore; we fished three different lakes and only one refused to cooperate:rolleyes: . Brookies........brookies, and of course Rainbows oh my:shock:

Chuck

Reactions: MT_dirtbag
B
brookie47
Eggs do you have any current info on Mt Hood lakes??? Small to med with good sized brookies. I am tired of catching 6-9 inch brookies.

J
JHawk
We hit Meadow Lake, Link Lake, and Island Lake about two weeks ago. Ran out of time and didn't get to Hand Lake. All are about 2.5+ hours from PDX; just about far enough to cut down the traffic.

Island Lake is accessible via a short hike (0.5 miles) or a round-about road, but it is tough to fish unless you have a tube/toon, or want to work the north edge with a fly rod. There is virtually no bank access at Island Lake. We didn't catch anything at Island.

Link Lake is real pretty and you can drive right to it. The deeper part seems to be on the north side. Of course, we fished the south side primarily...didn't catch anything.

Meadow Lake is also very pretty. You can drive right to it. I caught one small one on a hair rig with Power Eggs (trying to C&R off a spinning rod). Plenty of bank access along the north and east sides particularly.

I've wanted to try Long Lake, which is on the north side of Hwy 20. You can bushwack through the brush for about 0.5 miles, or take the roads and hike in about 1.0 miles from the north on the trail.

I read in the Fishing in Oregon book that Square Lake gets a lot of traffic since it is so close to Hwy 20. Round Lake is supposed to be fair, but I've never fished it.
Three Creeks has some spectacular scenery, but that last 1/2 mile on that road is a bear.

E
eggs
Sweet thanks jhawk

B
Brookiebuster
natro said:
Glad I found this thread, I was wondering if there was a thread about this.... and here it is. Any info on any lakes in the Eugene, Springfield areas??? Just wondering.

Natro Have you ever tried Linton Lake on hwy 242? You can park at Alder Springs Campgound and walk in through a lava feild to the lake.
Hard to fish from shore but it has some good size Browns and Eastern Brook in it. Early Spring and later in the year is the best.

B
Brookiebuster
JHawk said:
We hit Meadow Lake, Link Lake, and Island Lake about two weeks ago. Ran out of time and didn't get to Hand Lake. All are about 2.5+ hours from PDX; just about far enough to cut down the traffic.

Island Lake is accessible via a short hike (0.5 miles) or a round-about road, but it is tough to fish unless you have a tube/toon, or want to work the north edge with a fly rod. There is virtually no bank access at Island Lake. We didn't catch anything at Island.

Link Lake is real pretty and you can drive right to it. The deeper part seems to be on the north side. Of course, we fished the south side primarily...didn't catch anything.

Meadow Lake is also very pretty. You can drive right to it. I caught one small one on a hair rig with Power Eggs (trying to C&R off a spinning rod). Plenty of bank access along the north and east sides particularly.

I've wanted to try Long Lake, which is on the north side of Hwy 20. You can bushwack through the brush for about 0.5 miles, or take the roads and hike in about 1.0 miles from the north on the trail.

I read in the Fishing in Oregon book that Square Lake gets a lot of traffic since it is so close to Hwy 20. Round Lake is supposed to be fair, but I've never fished it.
Three Creeks has some spectacular scenery, but that last 1/2 mile on that road is a bear.

jhawk I used to fish both square and long when I was younger. Last time I went in to square was before the B&B Fire and did really good. A boat comes in real handy at both lakes.

T
TTFishon
Brookiebuster said:
Natro Have you ever tried Linton Lake on hwy 242? You can park at Alder Springs Campgound and walk in through a lava feild to the lake.
Hard to fish from shore but it has some good size Browns and Eastern Brook in it. Early Spring and later in the year is the best.

I love Linton Lake. I'm thinking about going there sometime in October. I've only fished there in late spring and summer. I know right where the big browns hang out and know just what to use.:D

H
HeBeGB
The combo of epic scenery and good fishing make for some fun times out there for sure! The one drawback is the crowds... but I was there on a holiday weeekend so I'm hoping it isn't always so busy. Glad to hear you had a good time out there too. Special place!

S
Spydeyrch
High Alpine Lakes - Google Map

High Alpine Lakes - Google Map

Hey there everyone! So I took the time to research some Alpine Lakes and the fish that they do/may have in them. I came up with some really good info. I decided to take the info that I had and create a little Google map to show locations and type of fish in the lakes.
These are all lakes, no rivers/streams. But who says you can’t fish the streams/rivers to flow in/out of them (of course one should always follow stat regulations.)
According to the info I have, the majority of these lakes were stocked at one point and many of them still receive routine stockings every 2-3 years. The majority of them have self-sustaining fish populations thanks to the prior stockings. Although, I haven't fished even 1% of them so I cannot really say with any guarantee if they really do have fish in them, nor can I say exactly how to get to the lake (via trail, road, waterways, etc). All I did was use the info that I found and locate the lake on a map, and then I posted/pinned it in the Google map I created and added a little info.
Feel free to add places to it, info, notify if something is outdated, trails, roads to get to them, etc. I added 76 lakes and still have another 40 to add!! I just have to find them on the map and coordinate them with the Google map below. Some of them have already been mentioned here in this thread so thank you to those individuals that helped mention them. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

These are the sites that I got my info from:

Lakes of Mt. Hood National Forest (revised) - Maintained by the Federal Dept. of Fish & Wildlife with assistance from the ODFW.

Lakes of Mt. Hood National Forest (older edition)

Mt. Hood National Forest Campground List

Well Known Alpine fishing Lakes - Maintained by Federal Dept. of Fish & Wildlife

-----------------------------------------------------------

So those are the primary sources that I got my info from and the map link is below:

High Alpine Lakes for Fishing - Personal Google Map

Let me know if it helps or if there are issues. I created it for mostly personal reasons but then decided to share it. I am excited to go out and try some of these pristine, isolated, hike-in lakes!!!!!! :pray::pray::pray::pray::D:D:D:D:D

-Spydey

Last edited:
E
eggs
freaking great idea!!

S
Spydeyrch
Good, I am glad that you liked it. I kind of actually copied the idea from another forum member. I can't remember his name but I know that it had something to do with the Beavers team. His avatar used to be a picture of a guy with "shark teeth". He created something very similar to this but for holes on the Wilson River. so props to him for giving me the idea. EDIT: His name is 'BeaverFan'. :D

It took me about 5 days to find all the material, locate the correct lakes based upon location, name, elevation, and general vicinity. Then I just pinned them on the custom Google map. I hope to find the other 40 that I have on my list. I think that I am going to have to pull out some of my old Mt. Hood NF maps, from back in the good ol' days of hiking and camping and climbing.

Feel free to add to it and edit it if you would like. I really do hope that people take advantage of it as there are TONS of lakes in just the M.H.N.F. that hold tons of potential ...... not to mention all the other lakes in the rest of the state!! I hope to be able to do one for the coastal mountain range sometime soon. that would be a blast to hit up some solitary lakes in the coastal Mountain Range!!!!

-Spydey

Last edited:
S
spark
Spydeyrch said:
Hey there everyone! So I took the time to research some Alpine Lakes and the fish that they do/may have in them. I came up with some really good info. I decided to take the info that I had and create a little Google map to show locations and type of fish in the lakes.
These are all lakes, no rivers/streams. But who says you can’t fish the streams/rivers to flow in/out of them (of course one should always follow stat regulations.)
According to the info I have, the majority of these lakes were stocked at one point and many of them still receive routine stockings every 2-3 years. The majority of them have self-sustaining fish populations thanks to the prior stockings. Although, I haven't fished even 1% of them so I cannot really say with any guarantee if they really do have fish in them, nor can I say exactly how to get to the lake (via trail, road, waterways, etc). All I did was use the info that I found and locate the lake on a map, and then I posted/pinned it in the Google map I created and added a little info.
Feel free to add places to it, info, notify if something is outdated, trails, roads to get to them, etc. I added 76 lakes and still have another 40 to add!! I just have to find them on the map and coordinate them with the Google map below. Some of them have already been mentioned here in this thread so thank you to those individuals that helped mention them. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

These are the sites that I got my info from:

Lakes of Mt. Hood National Forest (revised) - Maintained by the Federal Dept. of Fish & Wildlife with assistance from the ODFW.

Lakes of Mt. Hood National Forest (older edition)

Mt. Hood National Forest Campground List

Well Known Alpine fishing Lakes - Maintained by Federal Dept. of Fish & Wildlife

-----------------------------------------------------------

So those are the primary sources that I got my info from and the map link is below:

High Alpine Lakes for Fishing - Personal Google Map

Let me know if it helps or if there are issues. I created it for mostly personal reasons but then decided to share it. I am excited to go out and try some of these pristine, isolated, hike-in lakes!!!!!! :pray::pray::pray::pray::D:D:D:D:D

-Spydey

Awesome!!!!!

H
HeBeGB
Dang Spydey! Awesome resource you created there. Thanks!

S
Spydeyrch
Hey there everyone, if you visit the google map that I created, please feel free to leave a rating and/or comment on the map page and/or here on the thread too. What could I improve or change? Also, I would love to hear how things went if you visited a certain lake that you found on the map.

Did you catch anything (fish)?
Did you even see anything (fish)?
How did you get there?
What was your overall experience there?

Thanks again! :D

-Spydey

H
hendrixfan
Great idea! The map is great. I will send you some info on the lakes that I am familiar with when I get a chance.

O
okieinor
Going camping this weekend and wondering if anyone has recommendations on these lakes as far as fishing this time of year - Rock Lakes (Middle, Lower, Upper), Pyramid Lake?

Thanks!

E
eggs
Any of those should be great. Comes down to how far you want to hike! All of them are about the same elevation!

N
Ntofishing
I love these hike in lakes. Here are a few of mine, from the southern part of the state.

From hwy 140 turn on road 3650 to go to four mile lake. This gives you access to the sky lakes trail head.

Four Mile Lake
Budger Lake
Squaw Lake
ect...

But my favorite in this area has to be in the Seven Lakes Basin. You will have to find out which one yourselves. LOL!!

S
Spydeyrch
Ntofishing said:
I love these hike in lakes. Here are a few of mine, from the southern part of the state.

From hwy 140 turn on road 3650 to go to four mile lake. This gives you access to the sky lakes trail head.

Four Mile Lake
Budger Lake
Squaw Lake
ect...

But my favorite in this area has to be in the Seven Lakes Basin. You will have to find out which one yourselves. LOL!!

I am assumming that you are refering to the soutern part of Oregon, right? I ask because there is an AWESOME hike up in the Olympic National Forrest in Washington called Seven Lakes Basin. It actually has 8 lakes but it is just amazing!! The lakes are full of wild cutts, brookies, and bows. Not the same place as what you are talking about, right?

-Spydey