Has anyone fished the Suislaw lately?

J
JeannaJigs
yellowjacket said:
Didja get out on Thurs AM? If so land any fish? etc
Thanks,
YJ

Hooked up three times in the last 2 days, and lost all three. Was out yesterday and today alllllll day.

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_stalkers said:
What a circus over there, I can't believe anyone hooks a fish with a million fisherman six inches apart. I did not hear of many fish hooked yesterday but I only stayed around whittaker or a short time!
Whittaker wasn't so bad today as far as the circus goes, yesterday it wasn't so awesome. I hooked one yesterday, and two today...and lost all three of them. Dissapointing. Will be the last time I fish that river, so I was hoping to get one or two banked.

F
fourgotten
steelhead_stalkers said:
What a circus over there, I can't believe anyone hooks a fish with a million fisherman six inches apart. I did not hear of many fish hooked yesterday but I only stayed around whittaker or a short time!

Yeah... it was pretty gnarly there yesterday afternoon... put me off to the place today even... I went to Waldport and dug clams instead... and nearly stole a big native steelhead from a bald eagle... it had just caught it, apparently and had enough time to eat the guts and half of the belly when I arrived on the scene. It didn't like me walking on the same beach as it and flew off... leaving this huge fish for me to drool over.

Y
yellowjacket
Not so bad today

Not so bad today

:doh:
JeannaJigs said:
Whittaker wasn't so bad today as far as the circus goes, yesterday it wasn't so awesome. I hooked one yesterday, and two today...and lost all three of them. Dissapointing. Will be the last time I fish that river, so I was hoping to get one or two banked.

Went this afternoon. About 10 bankies when I got there around 12:30. Saw 7-8 boat trailers but only saw 2 boats. Was mostly trying to hone my drifting today & got one hook up . Felt like a real nice fish for the 10 seconds I had it on. Had 3 scales on the hook tip when I hauled it back in.:doh: Tequila sunrise corky w/orange yarn. Know of about 7 fish landed. Saw one- silver spoon or spinner wasn't close enough to tell which. One of the boats I talked to when I first arrived hadn't gotten anything - one hook up in early am. Late in day when leaving about 6pm 2 guys had just gotten there about 5:30 fishing the bank opposite Whittaker creek w pink jigs under bobbers got 2 in the first 15 min they were there according to the 2 at the mouth of the creek who hadn't had any action all afternoon. My only hit was 4:30-5:00. I have a hard time staying at the same spot relentlessly casting for hours at a time. By the time I had the hit I was getting robotic & wasn't as ready for action as is needed. Prefer places where I can move around, keeps me alert. Debating on trying again tmorrow (sun) rain may keep the crowds at bay.

J
JeannaJigs
I was going to go out today, but my rod's broke, so no dice. Won't be fishing it again for a long long time :( Hope you do well if you went out today.

M
mlw
I just got back, nada. Upper lake creek was ok when I got there (other than the driving rain), but by the time I got down to Konnie it was a raging torrent. The hydrograph looks like a vertical line. But better than staying home and wondering if I would have caught fish.
Michael

J
JeannaJigs
I'm glad I didn't go out, I guess 126 is closed indefinately due to a slide. Gotta love the torrential down pour.

Y
yellowjacket
Outta the Banks

Outta the Banks

JeannaJigs said:
I'm glad I didn't go out, I guess 126 is closed indefinately due to a slide. Gotta love the torrential down pour.

Decided to go this aftn once the morning monsoon tapered off. Got to Poodle Creek & 126 was detoured so I figured Lake Creek or Deadwood Creek would be plan B. Lake creek was ok for color@ Fish Cr. but was out of the banks & a raging flow. Another mile or 2 downstream chocolate milk. Thought it would have been nice for the local tv to run a travel alert scroll that 126 was closed. So I turned around at Deadwood & took a drive over Nelson Mtn Rd for jollies. Saw a nice elk herd. Wonder if there will still be any fish running once the rivers get back in shape? Still calling for more rain during the week so the tail of the run might be out of the picture seeing what conditions looked like today.:(

F
fourgotten
yellowjacket said:
So I turned around at Deadwood & took a drive over Nelson Mtn Rd for jollies. Saw a nice elk herd. Wonder if there will still be any fish running once the rivers get back in shape? Still calling for more rain during the week so the tail of the run might be out of the picture seeing what conditions looked like today.:(

Don't suppose that was you that I pulled over to let pass me on the way down... *chuckle*
My GPS tried to take me from Nelson Mountain Road directly to Badger Mountain on the back roads.... :lol:

Y
yellowjacket
Driving a Van

Driving a Van

fourgotten said:
Don't suppose that was you that I pulled over to let pass me on the way down... *chuckle*
My GPS tried to take me from Nelson Mountain Road directly to Badger Mountain on the back roads.... :lol:

Had a "minivan" behind me . If it was a van with a bike rack on the back door ladder & I slowed us down for the calf on the roadside that would have been me. No GPS in my rig, can get lost without help from a dashboard unit:rolleyes:. Would like a decent handheld though for those holes that are down the hill & through the brush & hard to get back to. Had seen the roadsign on 126 & 36 before so I figured a scenic drive would suffice as a substitute for fishing. Kind of curious if the creek along the road is legal to fish. close to 126 a couple spots by bridges looked potential for plunking. Of course the raging flood water wasn't best for scouting.
Tight lines & clipped fins on the Grill to yuh :)

F
fourgotten
yellowjacket said:
Had a "minivan" behind me . If it was a van with a bike rack on the back door ladder & I slowed us down for the calf on the roadside that would have been me. No GPS in my rig, can get lost without help from a dashboard unit:rolleyes:. Would like a decent handheld though for those holes that are down the hill & through the brush & hard to get back to. Had seen the roadsign on 126 & 36 before so I figured a scenic drive would suffice as a substitute for fishing. Kind of curious if the creek along the road is legal to fish. close to 126 a couple spots by bridges looked potential for plunking. Of course the raging flood water wasn't best for scouting.
Tight lines & clipped fins on the Grill to yuh :)

That wasn't me... I was in the S-10 Blazer... but if that WAS you, I was going to tell you that I slowed us down 'cause of the dog that had to come investigate... :lol:

I find that on some of those back roads that I don't know (like Nelson Mt.) it can help... (sometimes)... 'course, on the roads that I DO know, it's just fun to have...

That creek is Chickahominy Creek.... being that there's no special regs, it falls under the zone regs... and I think that's Willamette zone...