Guide recommendation request

T
TannerL
I'm from Oklahoma but will be in the Portland area for work and will be staying over the weekend (3/22-3/23) with my wife and 5 year old daughter. We'd like to go on a half day guided trip either Saturday or Sunday. The ideal trip would be high action, 5 year old friendly, involve species that aren't prominent in Oklahoma, provide necessary gear and be located within 1 hour of Portland. We aren't necessarily after trophy sized fish, just good fun. I'd love to hear recommendations on good guide services that accommodate children as well as species we should chase.

Thanks!

T
TannerL
We would also consider crab or shellfish. Again, fun times and kid friendly are the primary requirements.

O
OnTheDrop
Man, there's so many options out there this time of year. You got late winter steelhead still going, trout picking up, Sturgeon, and the beginning of Springer season on the Columbia and Willamette.

If I were you, I would choose the winter steelhead as March is a great time of year for hookups. ( Keep the kid occupied ) I could name countless guides in the area. Most will be running the coast which is maybe a little over an hour from Portland. If this seems like it's what you're looking for shoot me a message and I can give you a list of guides that will certainly get your rod bent.

Good luck,

E
eugene1
Tanner,

Crab are a good choice for a trip with kids since there is always lots of sorting to do. The thing is crabbing is over at the coast which is a little far for you. Tillamook bay would be a good place to go if you can drive a little further from portland. Like Steelmon said, lots of guides fishing over there as well.

Best,

TannerL said:
We would also consider crab or shellfish. Again, fun times and kid friendly are the primary requirements.

Y
youngbuck307
As a steelhead guide and a father to a 8yr old I wouldn't choose winters for the kid friendly part. a 5yr old probably have a hard time holding on to a rod with steelhead on other end unless maybe they fish a lot already pluse be hard to get them to cast and be on point with where there casting. Crabbing be good idea or trout fishing. Just my 2cents

Aervax
Aervax
What haven't you caught that you want to try? Late March fishing can be pretty great depending on what species you want to chase.

If my children were still young, right now I would take them out for trout, walleye or Sturgeon. All 3 are fishing well, especially if you go with a guide who is on them every day.

For trout, most guides specialize in fly fishing. You might look around a bit to find one who specializes in bait and trolling. You may even offer to trade with one of the fishing fanatics on this site. They will have gear and local knowledge. You will get your youngster into multiple fish. And there isn't much better crappie and cat fishing than what I experienced fishing with friends in Oaklahoma if they want to trade a trout trip here for a warm water trip with you down the road.

The best walleye fishing right now is 90 minutes east of Portland. This is coming into peak season for the guides on that species. There are several advertising online. I would be sure to communicate that you want to cater to your 5 year old and wife. Maybe focus on trolling and bait. With a guides help they will get to reel a few in. This time of year they are getting more active and moving shallower to get ready to spawn. This is probably the best time of year to get into walleye.

Most guys do not think about Sturgeon during steelhead and salmon season because it is catch and release only on most water this time of year. The fish are less harassed and less wary right now. If you want to catch and release high numbers of these prehistoric fish now is peak time. An experienced guide will get you into 20+ fish in a day, and they will range from 30"-50" in size. The big ones, 4ft-8ft long show up later in the spring. If you haven't fished for sturgeon before that is what you should try. They are native to the Columbia River. Locals call them "The poor man's Marlin". They will jump. There are more in this river than anyplace I have ever fished. With a guide who focuses on Sturgeon it is the surest thing that requires the least amount of technical expertise from the clients. And some of the best areas are 30 minutes or less from Portland.

Let us know what you decide to chase after, and post a couple of pics of your fish on the blog when you get done!

Good luck to you!

Reactions: eugene1
Aervax
Aervax
image.jpg

This is a pretty average size sturgeon caught below Willamette falls a few miles south of Portland.

M
minnowmagnet
If you want to show your 5 year old a great time, I would recommend sturgeon as well. Otherwise you might just show her a lot of boredom. There are lots of sturgeon in the Willamette just 0 minutes from Portland right now and if you go with a guide your chances of hooking up are extremely good. There are monsters as well as "average" sized in this river year-round. These aren't noodling sized catfish!
Many guides will be booked for salmon right now, but there are many guides to choose from.

T
TannerL
Thanks for the recommendations guys. We ended up booking a steelhead trip in a drift boat with Grant Rilette. I'm sure we'll chase after sturgeon in the near future. That sounds like a ton of fun!