Grouse gunners?

M
Markcanby
As soon as Chukar season opens Osmosis you are coming with me I will have you cryin for boat in no time.:lol::lol:

A
adambomb
Sounds like you want to shoot something as bad as I do Osmo! I plan on doing a few small flushes in areas that I saw birds last year, and a fair amount of driving/exploring. I have been hunting this area for years but I always seem to find something new. Also picked up my bear and cougar tag today, just in case;) If that sounds interesting to you, drop me a PM

M
metalmania
Oops forgot to report on my hunt. Wen't out opening day and spent a few hours down in molalla and didn't see one grouse. Hopefully this year will be better than last. Luckily i brought some extra 9mm's with me so atleast I got some practice in. Should be a good yearfor quail though. Gonna try a little closer to home next time.

A
adambomb
Its raining....DEAD GROUSE!!!

Its raining....DEAD GROUSE!!!

I had a great morning in the woods, saw 4 deer, all does, then dropped these 3 grouse. There were at least 5 in the covey, but the limit is 3 so I had to pass on the others. All birds were in flight, one straight away, and two crossing shots. Peppered two a little, but one was a clean head/neck shot:cool:

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Purrty Birds

D
dude young
adambomb said:
I had a great morning in the woods, saw 4 deer, all does, then dropped these 3 grouse. There were at least 5 in the covey, but the limit is 3 so I had to pass on the others. All birds were in flight, one straight away, and two crossing shots. Peppered two a little, but one was a clean head/neck shot:cool:
Good work. You ever want company, I would be happy to tag along.

If anyone would like to help me out and point me towards a spot I can bust brush with the pup, it would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for your secret spot. Somewhat productive, public land that I would probably find, eventually is ikay with me. It is just that there is so much out there that picking a place to start is, well, it's like when I started fishing in Jan. and had to figure out where to start.

Thanks all.

D
dude young
Two in the bag...

Two in the bag...

...but we worked hard for them. Me, MarkCanby, and Adambomb met up to try to put some birds on the ground today. We headed up to some clear-cuts Adam knew. I brought the brown dog, Mark brought his Short Hair. We jumped a couple at the first stop, but could not get a shot. After a while we pulled anchor and drove out to another spot. Eva (Mark's pooch) flushed a covey of about 7 Ruffies that we made a family of 5. Adam got his first, one shot, one kill. Mine came out from under my feet and I got it on the first shot. Eva was quick to show Rhetta where it went down, and Rhetta basically told me that she would only be retrieving birds from the water. I had a shot at a second, but it was a difficult crossing shot and I whiffed.

We called it after about 5 hours. Good day, good times, good (new) friends, and somewhat acceptable hounds.

Well, the season is young, and there are more birds to kill. Let's do it again guys!

3898487246_3e054718a8.jpg

A
adambomb
Definitely a good day in the woods! The weather is supposed to warm back up this week and that means the birds will be on the ground eating insects while they still can. Mark should also bring his .17 for those sniping situations, and I promise to buy some 6 or 7's so that I dont annihilate any more good meat! I did manage to get half a good breast out of that bird, and half a good breast is better than no breast at all:D

M
Markcanby
Yeah Im going to look up the Regs on that cause I like the idea.(an its a lot lighter then my 12ga)

F
Fishtopher
Right on guys! Way to get after 'em! Sounds like your day went waay better than mine!:lol:

D
dude young
Got mine in a brine right now:

6 cups water
3 tbs. Kosher Salt
1 tbs. whole pepper corns
3-4 cloves garlic (halved)
A healty bunch of fresh parsley and rosemary
1/2 cup cooking Sherry

Mix all and bring just to a boil.
Remove from heat and let cool
Completely cover breast in a non-reactive bowl (or zip-lock) for 2-3 hours.
Remove and refer overnight.

I will be grilling it low and slow tomorrow night and having it with some garlic roasted potatoes. Mmm, mmm, good.

J
justinhawthorne
Active?

Active?

Hi all,
just wondering if there was discussion on this thread, I'm newer to hunting in Oregon, and hit the clackamas basin/3 lynx/ripplebrook area when I can, but mostly to flyfish the clack. I'm looking to shoot Grouse, and Mountain Quail, but don't have a dog to help out, any suggestions? I'm pretty novice when it comes to this game, but eager to learn and hike the miles. Great forum everyone

G
GDBrown
First OFF Justin, Welcome to the forum. If you haven't noticed we can get a little light hearted on here. We are about sharing and bragging about our fishing and hunting skills and success. There is not much on here about hunting but it is getting better. There are several of us who are avid fisherman and general outdoors persons. Some of the gals do better that us men folks at both. Give us a little background on yourself and chime in whenever you like.

GD

J
justinhawthorne
Howdy, thanks for the quick response. I'm a fisherman primarily, love spin and fly fishing whenever I can, and have been fishing since my youth. I live in Portland, and make it out of town maybe 1 or 2 times per month, and was just looking to capitalize on my outdoor experience. If you want to throw bass or sturgeon fishing on the Willamette bites my way, I'm all ears, thats the usual haunt for me.