Lakes Green Peter Reservoir Fishing Reports

R
Ray
Hit the water at 6 am and headed down to the dam. Trolled across the front for a hour with no luck. It was pretty windy so we trolled down to the Island. I picked up a decent rainbow between the Island and floating rest stop. Worked my way around the island until about 12 with no further luck. I was using a 1/2 oz weight, UV dodger and a shasta pink squid. Tried tuna scented corn, plain corn, red worm, nightcrawlers etc. The wind at that point was brutal So I packed up and motored down to tally creek. I switched to mini lake trolls and green wedding ring and picked up 12-13 more rainbows and one 12 inch kokanee. So not to bad down there fish wise. I had to bug out at that point as my hide had turned dark red, and I smashed my main motors prop on a stump. Still trying to figure out how to get these darn kokes. May try a little more lead next time to get closer to 40 foot down.

troutdude
troutdude
It sounds like your using good lures, bait, and scents.

Depending upon how far you let your line out behind your vessel; you may have not been deep enough. With 1/2 oz. weight, you can probably get down to them, if you let more line out. Obviously the other possible solution is more weight (our using a down rigger).

HOWEVER, maybe your gear was under the kokes? Maybe they are still near the surface. If so, you've got to put your gear above them. If this is the case, then you'd have more success removing the weight. If you have a 2 rod license...try flat lining (no weight) with one rod and weight with the other.

Watch what others are doing (more weight, down rigger, etc)...and look for places where boats are schooled up. Schooled up boats often means schooled up fish.

P.S. Spell checker doesn't recognize the word KOKE? Obviously a fisherpeep didn't write the programming language! LOL

R
Ray
I have been trying different distances behind the boat. I picked up one of those line counters from Bi mart and have been all over the map from 20 feet to 90 behind the boat. I have not tried going weightless yet but ran a 1/4 oz on the dodger setup. Im not sure what exactly I am doing wrong yet. I have had my boat in the water at least 30 times up there this year trying to get a handle on it. As for down riggers, well there coming. I am saving up for some top shelf electric reeling jobs. I had one of those Cannon plastic wonders and it snapped the second time I used it.

troutdude
troutdude
You're using the right approach to find success...a variety of tactics.

I'm no koke expert and have only used dodgers once or twice. But, I'd say that a dodger and hoochie even 90' behind you would likely be literally skimming the surface. A dodger/hoochie isn't very heavy.

So it stands to reason, that it would not go much deeper than a few feet. And that also explains why you got quite a few trout (which are definitely in the top water right now).

It sounds like you need at least a 1/2 ounce of weight and maybe more like an ounce. And when the kokes really start to dive deep in the upcoming hot weather...you'll really need those down riggers that you're saving for. They'll go down to 120' sometimes; and a big heavy weight is not the way to go.

One other trick that I've heard of, is to use a pretty short leader w/ your hoochies. One guy only uses a few inches of leader.

Suggestion: find someone who really knows how to hammer kokes. Then either invite them to go out with you--or ask if you might be able to ride along with them--and learn all that you can from an expert.

Other suggestion: pick the brains of the guys at the local sporting goods shops. Ask 'em about getting down to depth, leader lengths, color / scent variations, best baits, riggin' up your tackle, etc.

B
Big3d
OK, I know it's supposed to be about green peter, and it's a bit off topic but I planned to go there this week and I was just wondering if there is any way for a bank fisherman to bring in kokes? I always hear about how to troll for them, but us poor folk don't own boats or other nice things, any thoughts???

troutdude
troutdude
You really need to start a new thread for a whole new topic; and not hijack this guy's thread.

But, I'll send a PM to answer your question.

R
Ray
I know a lot of guys jig for them off the bridge with decent sucess. They use buzz bombs white shopeg corn and worm.

O
OregonNative
I'm thinking about going up to Green Peter next week to try to catch some kokanee. I've got a canoe, so I can get out on the water, but covering any distance is not practical without pulling out and putting back in someplace else. I can do some light trolling or I could try jigging.

My question is where would the best place be to launch - by the dam? or up at Withcomb Creek Park? or ???

B
beaverfan
Likely what your gonna want to do is put in near the dam and tie off to a buoy and jig. If the wind is blowing up there (almost always is) you will not have an easy time jigging and I'm sure trolling would be a huge pain too. Another option would be sticking close to shore and in the arms for trout.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. What he said. Yesterday, I read two GP Koke reports on the Best Fishing in Oregon web site. Jigging near the dam in 30' of water is where the action is. If you don't have a fish finder...just park near other boat that are catching them.

BTW, go EARLY. A strong wind happens almost daily around 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning. It will make getting back to shore a real challenge for you. We often go out at o'dark thirty and return before or just as the wind hits. And we have a motor.

C
capblack
i was at gp today from 5 am, until 530 pm. around 930 am a gentleman and his son launched a canoe at whitcomb and headed up the quartzville creek arm. about two hrs later they were being hauled back to whitcomb by some folks in a ski boat with the canoe in tow. when the wind picks up at gp its no joke in a small boat. dont be scared, just be prepared!! i would put in at 5 in the morning at the dam launch and tie to the booms. jig until the wind starts to pick up, take out, and re-launch either up the quartzville creek arm, and fish there, or put in at whitcomb, and head under the fishermans bridge. good luck, Brian

B
bdogdt47
I have been fishing Green Peter for about a month and have learned a lot in that time. The first thing I learned is that you have to have the correct rod for Kokanee jigging. A medium spinning rod with a sensitive tip. I purchased a $50 Ugly Stick and strung it with 8lb dacron line. The dacron line does not have the stretch in it that mono does. With the correct rod and line, you get a good hook set. I found with my light trout rod, I was not feeling the fish and when I did, I missed the strike. Take a variety of jigs and buzz bombs. You can launch your canoe on the far side of the dam (an easy launch with a canoe) and its maybe a two minute paddle out to the boom, where you can tie off and jig. That way, if the wind comes up, you can be off the lake quickly (which you may need to do). I would recommend launching really early, say 6a.m. That should give you several hours until the wind comes up. Tip your jig with Green Giant shoe peg white corn. I scent mine with bloody tuna and let it marinate overnight, which has been working good lately. Don't assume the fish are at 30'. One day they can be shallow, the next day they can be deeper. I set my reel to crank backwards and since I get about 2' for every crank, 15 cranks backward would equal about 30'. Try different depths, until you find the fish, or ask someone fishing nearby that is having success. You may go a few hours w/o a bite and then get bit a lot. Kokanee are schooling fish, so they come and go. Best of luck to you.

O
OregonNative
Ok guys, I get the message - there is a bit more wind than average. I really appreciate the advice given. I decided that I don't really want to get caught between a rock and a hard place, so I took the canoe to Detroit. Ya, I bailed - remember, this is supposed to be fun! We fished for trout and limited out :D

S
Squirrel-Girl
I went fishing at GP after hearing how great the fishing was. I went out Tuesday the 28th. Used hookies, kokanne killers, wedding rings, corn in tuna oil. We only had one kokanee caught all day and it seemed the other boats had the same luck. The fish were 50+ feet deep. I will go again since I cannot let the kokanee elude me.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum!

You were using some great "artillery". And it sounds like you were probably getting down to the right depth; and fishing just above the depth that the fish are holding in.

But, the koke fishing has been sporadic lately, even for seasoned fisher peeps. Perseverance is the key, and it sounds like you have that trait. Keep after it, and you'll figure it out and get into some fish.

You may want to also try "shoe peg" white corn kernels on your hooks. And you can soak them in scent (like the tuna oil, for example).

Good luck.

G
Gunq
Kokanee

Kokanee

Ya I was there on saturday june 25 We took home 2 nice kokanee but we had 5 or 6 other hits that just didn't hookup. They may have been Hitting our flasher. Fishing 45-55 feet on downrigger pink hoochie and white hoochie, pink and silver flashers, Shopeg soaked in tuna oil. Its been a tough season so far.

R
Ray
I am ready to put down rigger weights in my pockets and a knife between my teeth and dive over board to get some fish! I am at the point of yelling at the rainbows when I release them. Where are the KOKES

troutdude
troutdude
Go get 'em Lloyd Bridges! LOL

O
OregonNative
Went to Green Peter today. It was a pretty slow day for most everyone we spoke with on the lake. The kokanee seemed to be around 50 - 60 feet. We had a half dozen or so hits from about 9:30 to 11:30 when the sun started breaking through the cloud cover. But we just couldn't seem to keep any on the line very long. :rolleyes: This was around the west side of the island. Then we went over towards the floating restroom side and finally caught a nice fat 14 incher using a wedding ring like rig with corn trailing some mini flashers. :dance: We thought maybe things would start picking up, but not a thing after that. The wind wasn't too bad today, very pleasant day on the water. Our boat captain had to get back to town to take the grand kids to a hunter's safety class, so we pulled out around 3 pm. A great day, even if the fish didn't want to play.:cool:

troutdude
troutdude
Good day to be on the water.

It's kind of weird. Most of the reports on here have indicated a pretty mediocre Koke season so far up there. But, this weeks ODFW Rec Report says it's been hot. Go figure.

Anyway thank for the report, and I'm glad you got something.

Top Bottom