Great Saturday on the Willamette

B
btplayer
Went out early today, fished for 4 hours without a bite. Trolled crankbaits up the Yamhill, thew spinnerbaits NOTHING!. Found some submerged wood in about 7 feet of water near the mouth of the Yamhill, caught 12 fish including a 4 pounder and one just shy of 3. This was the funnest action I have had on the Willamette.

• DSC_0028.jpg
  • DSC_0036.jpg
Reactions: igquick
J
jrbecca
Congrats! It sounds like patience paid off! Great pictures!

I
igquick
dang it, I've been looking for places to fish like that, but can only find submerged trees in two feet of water. I just figured out today they would have to be in more deeper water if they were to hold up near submerged trees kind of like your spot

well done

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Very nice catch, BTP!
Was that one photo next to the boat seat the 4# 'er? That smallie looks like a pig! Good job sticking with it until you found the magic.

B
btplayer
Yeah the one by the seat was. Photo does not do it justice. There bellies were full, must be the time to catch them in the shallow water.

bass
bass
Great job! Somehow I missed this thread when you first posted it. Were you still using the crankbait and the spinnerbait around the wood or did you change tactics?

B
btplayer
I caught most of them including the bigger ones on a smoke colored red flake Gizit tube bait. I found that to be a great all around lure lately one the Willamette and Hagg Lake. Use a more flexible hook and they can be pulled off limbs and timber. In the same area I caught a couple on spinner baits. Tried some different lures since I knew I was in the fish. Nothing worked like that tube bait. Did not get a bite on the 4" Senko which I usually have luck with.

bass
bass
btplayer said:
I caught most of them including the bigger ones on a smoke colored red flake Gizit tube bait. I found that to be a great all around lure lately one the Willamette and Hagg Lake. Use a more flexible hook and they can be pulled off limbs and timber. In the same area I caught a couple on spinner baits. Tried some different lures since I knew I was in the fish. Nothing worked like that tube bait. Did not get a bite on the 4" Senko which I usually have luck with.

Great! Thanks for the information.

T
troutmasta
Love that spot! The confluence of those rivers is a hot spot in my experiance. Thats where I hooked (and got spooled) by my first sturgeon, in fact that sturgeon is the reason I sought out the forum way back when. Thanks Willy/Yamhill junction!
Nice feeshes!