Great common carp in Commenwealth today!!!

T
Troutier Bassier
I tryed float fishing, I made a really! sensitive float out of a drinking straw. Tryed to catch a carp with it and ended up catching about 20 bluegill and a perch.. dident work.

T
topbloke
If you're going to be float fishing in 8 or more feet of water you are going to want to use a polaris float, or a sliding float with a float stop, if you don't have a long fishing rod.

It would also depend on how far out you want to fish, how windy, and how choppy the water is, on selecting the right float.

I have a lot of succes with "The Lift Method" of float fishing.

G
gypotats
bait idea

bait idea

a guy i worked with told me to make velvetta cheese balls and get mini wheats wet and soggy and cake it around the cheese ball.never did try this but sounds good for those nasty suckers.this is all he ever used and said it works;)

T
topbloke
I've read that carp will eat just about anything. Some of the latest baits have spicy chilli in them. Might have to give the cheeseballs a try as they weren't biting on sweetcorn yesterday

T
Troutier Bassier
They eat Sour candy too. Like sour gummy worms, Found that out today...

bass
bass
I grew up doing a fair bit of carp fishing and we used to make a lot of different dough baits. The two that seemed to produce the best for us were: 1. wheat germ, milk and salt 2. cornmeal, water and tabasco. We also made lots of other flavors - especially jello based. My brother used to fish in a weekly carp contest (back in PA) and he won several times with tabasco flavor. Hint: do not inhale when dumping tabasco in boiling water :)

T
topbloke
Yeah, carp seem to love spicy flavors. Soaked, then boiled hemp seeds with plenty of chilli pepper seeds is a good one. It's called "hot hemp" and sends them wild.

B
beaverfan
Most of the Carp I've caught have been on spicy sausages

bass
bass
Commonwealth pond carp fishing 2-21-2010

Commonwealth pond carp fishing 2-21-2010

Went to Commonwealth yesterday (2-21-2010) with my 5 year old for a few hours in the afternoon. We had good action fishing with corn. First fish snapped off after a bit. Son reeled in the second one and it took quite a while. By the time he got it in he had quite an audience :) I forgot to weigh the fish but I would guess that it was in the 8-10lb range. Next one was of similar size and popped off right at the bank. Since we were going to throw it back anyway I just let go rather than trying to wrestle it up onto the bank. Those were the only 2 we got to shore, but we had quiet a few other bites that dropped the bait after mouthing it for a while. All in all it was a beautiful day to be out with my son. We were quite lucky as I spoke with someone on the dock (we were beside it) who had not had any luck and was also fishing with corn. Not sure if it was the brand (we had Jolly Green Giant) or if being 50 feet down the bank just happened to be the right spot. When I get around to getting the picture off my phone I will post it.

M
Moe
Anyone want to fish commonwealth next week? Since there are going to be lots of trout there, it will be a possibility to catch one of them too. Just new and have never caught a carp, looking for someone to fish with. I live really close to both commonwealth and Bethany pond, so both I can fish. I will probably fish both everyday during spring break.

Thanks, Moe.

T
topbloke
If the weather's good I'll be over at Bethany on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'll just be going for carp.

Last edited:
M
Moe
Sounds good, monday is probably your best bet as it is the warmes. Hope to see you out there!