Sauvie Island carp report

M
MikePierce170
Being as this was my first year ever fishing for carp I think I've done fairly well. My search this year for carp started at Sauvie Island and that's where it will probably end. My fight is Oct. 5th in Minneapolis, MN on FX 5. It will be streamed live on the UFC Facebook Fan Page (so hit "LIKE" and watch me kick some ass). I leave the 1st and won't get back till the 6th. Then on the 7th I fly to the middle east to go support the troops. I'll be touring around to Djibouti, UAE, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait. That will take the better part of two weeks and by then I'm sure most of the carp will be gone. So today could very well be my last outing for carp this year.

That being said, this is what happened... Crystal, Madison and I went out initially to Sturgeon Lake. The 1hr and 10min drive seemed to go by quick getting there. I anticipated the water to be low but holy crap! I wanted to put my kayak out there and hunt for carp, but I would have been forced to drag it through about 75 yards of soft mud before getting to the water. So we backed out of there and hit another spot close by that I'd seen our good friend Van try to fish before. Naturally he never landed anything but I don't rely on trickery or bait to catch carp :lol:. Plus my fishing skills just rock.

Anyway, from the top of the road I spotted 2 carp swimming together going from one weed patch to another. I knew this was a promising spot (even if Van couldn't get one landed) and unloaded my kayak. After rigging the yak up I slid it down the hill and into the water. That's when I noticed just how loaded with carp this spot was. Late in the season I thought the carp would have been a little more thinned out. However, this place was hopping with carp. I must have spotted at least 30+ carp. Unfortunately for me I got there kinda late (around 3:30pm). The sun and murky water were working against me with every passing minute. After a few shots I finally nailed one:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img189.imageshack.us\/img189\/9655\/img74881.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img84.imageshack.us\/img84\/7098\/20120923173028.jpg"}[/IMG2]

This mammoth carp weighed in at 18.13lbs... minus 10lbs :D (I have a scale igquick).

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img211.imageshack.us\/img211\/8272\/img75421.jpg"}[/IMG2]

So there you have it folks. Sauvie Island is still turning out loads of carp if you're in the mood. For me, I think this caps my first year of carp fishing. John Montana has already given up on carp and is currently targeting edible fish :D. Next year I may actually try fly fishing with him. He keeps calling me a caveman and refuses to take me to his "A-water" haha. So many mixed emotions about that... learn to fly fish or hire a private investigator :think: Time will tell.

Until then I wish you all the best of luck in your carp fishing adventures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eggs and C_Run
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Dude that is TIGHT! What model is your Wilderness Systems? Well done!!!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
"Larry Chair" hahaha.. Nice man. My father has the Tarpon 105. He loves it.

I don't know how you stand on that thing. I tried to sit on the top of my sit-in and spent the next 10 minutes gathering my stuff from the bottom of the lake haha. Nice ride though man! I have an old Pearson bow around here, loads of carp 10 minutes from my house.. I might have to give this a shot.

You ever smoked carp? :D

M
MikePierce170
GraphiteZen said:
"Larry Chair" hahaha.. Nice man. My father has the Tarpon 105. He loves it.

I don't know how you stand on that thing. I tried to sit on the top of my sit-in and spent the next 10 minutes gathering my stuff from the bottom of the lake haha. Nice ride though man! I have an old Pearson bow around here, loads of carp 10 minutes from my house.. I might have to give this a shot.

You ever smoked carp? :D

The "Larry Chair" makes it considerably easier to get up and down. The 2012 Ride 115 is also a lot wider than the Tarpon 105 if memory serves me right. Much more stability. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to fall in the water haha. And to answer your question, NO! I will never eat carp. The only thing they're good for (to me) is crab bait.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Looking at the photos, the Ride also may have a lot more surface area on the water over the Tarpon. Really a nice boat!!
I was out with my cousin today sighting in some deer rifles. He had taken the neighbor's kid out on the Willamette to hook him into some fish and came back with a load of Pikeminnow he kept for crab bait. I tried to talk him into throwing some in the smoker so we could bond over the experience of *trying* to eat them, he wasn't down hahah. Someday, the challenge will be accepted. A pound of smoked pikeminnow. ;)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
MikePierce170 said:
Being as this was my first year ever fishing for carp I think I've done fairly well. My search this year for carp started at Sauvie Island and that's where it will probably end. My fight is Oct. 5th in Minneapolis, MN on FX 5. It will be streamed live on the UFC Facebook Fan Page (so hit "LIKE" and watch me kick some ass). I leave the 1st and won't get back till the 6th. Then on the 7th I fly to the middle east to go support the troops. I'll be touring around to Djibouti, UAE, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait. That will take the better part of two weeks and by then I'm sure most of the carp will be gone. So today could very well be my last outing for carp this year.

Good luck and take care overseas! I'm sure you will receive many thanks!!

My cousin is in Afghanistan right now with the Marine Corps (on the left) I'm sure he'd like you to come see him!!

Last edited:
J
john montana
great pictures...yes...i need a kayak.

O
OnTheFly
Unlike John's carp threads where he is gently cradling his catch like holding a baby, I really enjoy your carp threads Mike. I especially liked the third picture except it would have been even better if it were a head shot.:yay:

M
MikePierce170
OnTheFly said:
Unlike John's carp threads where he is gently cradling his catch like holding a baby, I really enjoy your carp threads Mike. I especially liked the third picture except it would have been even better if it were a head shot.:yay:

Haha couldn't agree more. It also might be because John's really frail. But he does baby those ugly suck lips.

The shot could have been better. But on the positive side I did hit its egg sack cuz I saw them all over my arrow lol. John witnessed me head shot one at Chinook Landing. I felt like an assassin haha.

J
john montana
was that the day you went 1 for 10 or something? Granted, it is harder for you to see the fish with your lower vantage point than most of us...1 for 10 ain't bad for a guy that is 5 ft 8 in wading boots.

M
MikePierce170
It was more like 2 for 10 a$$hole haha. And I do well with my vantage point. It was the lack of polarized glasses that added to the difficulty. As it stands I'm better at catching carp than you are at coho :)

E
eggs
thats dope! good luck in your fight man!

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
thats dope! good luck in your fight man!
Mike, take your fist and do to your opponent what your arrow did to the carp. lol!

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Good report! Kick some ass Mike!

V
Van
Love that first pic Mike. Really cool.

I have thought about a kayak as well. I have a 1 man pontoon that works well enough, but it is slow when i need to cover some water and doesn't track worth a crap.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Van said:
Love that first pic Mike. Really cool.

I have thought about a kayak as well. I have a 1 man pontoon that works well enough, but it is slow when i need to cover some water and doesn't track worth a crap.

You can fill the pontoons until they are pretty tight, unless you have a compromised seam of the outer bladder, filling them tight is not really a worry. The only danger is filling them tight when they are cool (morning camp or in the garage) then taking them out in the heat where the air will expand. This will help it float a little higher (less friction).

You can also move the frame around so that the side you are rowing towards won't dig in so much during the stroke.

Other than that.. Yeah. Kayak.

S
SeanC
I love these threads between john and mike. They always give me a good laugh. Good luck with your fight mike.