GP koke blitz -kayak style

C_Run
C_Run
I did not get the usual cute landscape pictures this time.

maj83.jpg

We went out to Green Peter yesterday and caught 13 kokanee and two trout trolling mini squid tipped with fire corn behind dodgers. My goal was to get enough to smoke a batch. Mission accomplished. We located a school and caught about half right away until the bite dropped off and then scratched out the rest trolling all day long.They were all 11-12 inches. You guys better get up there!

C_Run
C_Run
I'm not really sure how deep but I just put out 50'+ of line with a 1 1/2 oz banana weight on it and it seemed to work. Probably the top 20 feet. I went two weeks ago and just caught a couple and had a fish finder that time. That day we saw fish at all depths. Some people put downriggers on their kayaks but I haven't gotten that sophisticated yet. I just wanted to make a couple of early season trips to see how it would go. I might go back later in the year when the fish are bigger.

troutdude
troutdude
That batch will smoke nicely. Well done. I like flat lining with banana weights up there too. This time of year, it can really be the ticket!

T
tomriker
nice! my grandpa was there thursday and caught 40, we had a koke feast lastnight :)

bass
bass
Wow, great job C_Run. I have never tried kokanee fishing from my kayak. Looks like another thing to put on my fishing to do list :)

B
bernduffy
Dang! I'm drooling at those kokes...can't wait to get down there! Nice going!

M
minnowmagnet
Thanks for the report. My plan is to fish Odell out of my kayak next weekend, as long as the wind isn't howling too bad. It will be my first time kokanee fishing and I don't have a FF yet, so all the info is super helpful to me. Good catch!

C_Run
C_Run
minnowmagnet said:
Thanks for the report. My plan is to fish Odell out of my kayak next weekend, as long as the wind isn't howling too bad. It will be my first time kokanee fishing and I don't have a FF yet, so all the info is super helpful to me. Good catch!

Good luck in the kayak . Let us know how you do. I'd love to go to some of the high lakes some day.

H
Half-Fast
Part of what I do for a living is make kokanee gear. Sounds like I'd better get out there and 'test' some of it! Maybe I can use the fishing trip expense for a tax write-off!