Kokes but no Macs..

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
start with the bad news, I could not get any Macs to hook-up, did paint some big fish down deep here and there, targeted them for several hours from my kayak...no takers.

we did find plenty of big Kokanee, caught about 20 (half from PB, half from kayak), lost as many at the surface (not unexpected with bigger kokes..).brought home 8 vacuum sealed packs for the freezer and the rest were fire cooked and tasty. the largest, easily 16", I hooked from the kayak and had up by the boat, net down and then it launched itself right over my 'coho' sized net, back into the water, and gone...I already had a 14" in the cool bag under my seat so no worries...

the bite was tough, it came on and off really quick and changed with location. corn soaked in tuna oil from one of our canned jars was hot day one, another afternoon garlic soaked corn was hot for 20 minutes of chaos (3 in the cooler, another 3 or 4 lost), then nothing. the fish at 35' were hitting. the schools of nice looking fish down at 70 to 80' would not hit anything...

great wild bird show, dozens of Osprey and a pair of Bald Eagles...watched an Osprey do a free fall dive from way up high, hit the water and come up with a nice fish, flying low under the weight of the fish and with us in the way, it flew close by our boat staying just above the white caps...

Trapper Creek is a nice campground, quiet mid-week (except the trains going by now and then), looks like it is busy weekends, looks like there are 4 campsites on the lake that you can park your boat at but they cannot be reserved on-line, those along the creek are the next best sites...cheers, roger

E
eugene1
Sweet, sounds like a good trip except no lakers. Looks like you saved some of the cuttings for crab bait(?) as well, good idea.

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Sweet, sounds like a good trip except no lakers. Looks like you saved some of the cuttings for crab bait(?) as well, good idea.

Best,

exactly, we have found that kokanee heads (and eggs) make fantastic crab bait, put a few in one of those plastic bait bag things and the crabs go crazy trying to get at them...

C_Run
C_Run
:Nice trip. Do you have a downrigger on the kayak? Looks like we won't be making it up there this season :sad:

T
Throbbit _Shane
nice report!! hopefully i can get up there this year. those kokes are tasty!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
:Nice trip. Do you have a downrigger on the kayak? Looks like we won't be making it up there this season :sad:

yes, I am running a Attwood/Roberts minirigger off the right side grab rail, just at my side, I can run it with one hand while steering with the other. We have a second minirigger so we can use one off each side of the PB, before my next kokanee trip I am going to add a Roberts mount to the left side rail so I can run then off both sides of the kayak.

Throbbit _Shane said:
nice report!! hopefully i can get up there this year. those kokes are tasty!

you got that right and after catching smallish kokes the last 2 years at GP, really nice to pull in 12"-14" Pounders! we are heading back in 2 weeks to get more, Solar/Lunar data is much better for that trip so we shall see if it is confirmed by catch numbers.

best thing is koke fishing in August is it keeps me from starting my 'quest for kings' too early. There is however a rumor that I am shining up some herring over the weekend and giving the Slaw a go on Monday and Tuesday. just rumors though. ;)