Kokes and the moon...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the moon is often considered a factor in fish activity and I think that I experienced it first hand this week at GP...details below after the basics of our kokanee harvest:

Doug (brother-in-law) and I fished GP Mon, Tue, and Wed. from the Crab Bandit (16" Alumicraft) We know what we are doing but are not 'super experts' at harvesting kokes, at times it was a slay fest, slower others, we ended up boating 60 (most all 10" to 12") and lost about half that many on the way to the net. We were both double stacking on manual Attwood riggers that worked really well, no problems ($52 at Cabela's), fish were mostly 45 to 70 feet, most catch was on sling blade, short leader (18"), then the normal variety of: wedding rings, smile blade lures, small hootchie stuff, mostly green but some on red, also apex 1.5" trout killers. koke schools were everywhere, HD sonar was showing swarms of them and you could see them changing depth to match our flasher depths....and we caught fish going slow slow slow, 0.8mph was our best catch rate speed....

what I found really interesting was the relationship between moon set and the kokes. we hit the water at 5:30am each morning and fished until about 10:30am each day. Monday was the full moon, it set at 6am, already below the hills when we launched. Monday was a slay fest right off, probably 10 in the cooler within 40minutes, then it went slow and we picked up another 6 the whole rest of the morning. Tuesday, the moon was still up, fishing was slow for about 45min, 2 in, then it went crazy, at least 10 in the next 30 minutes, right at moon set.

and then we went out Wednesday, needing 16 fish to hit 60, that was our goal then we would go in and break camp. moon was higher and things were slow, and slow, and slow, so much so that we started to doubt getting 16, then about 8am, getting close to moon set, it went crazy, 12 in by 8:45am, then it went cold, trolled back towards the launch as it go closer to 10am and got one last koke near the launch....

so for the 3 mornings, we were basically fishing through the same density of fish/schools from start to finish, what changed each day was the time at which they were hitting lures at a high rate, and each day it was hot for about 30min, and each day it happened damn close to 45min later into the morning, right around moon set. I find this very interesting..and continue to consider Kokes to be 'good eats'..cheers, roger

S
Spydeyrch
Dude, that is freakin' awesome!! Great job there man. Congrats. :clap:

-Spydey

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Thanks for an awesome post!
My nephew and I hit green peter tuesday for kokes without downriggers on my nucanoe. I could see schools of kokes everywhere on the lake at 45 - 75 feet down on the FF, just like you said. We tried to get down to them with 3 to 5 ounces of banana sinkers in-line trolled at 150 to 200 feet back at 1.2 mph. We trolled various colors of wedding rings tipped with shoepeg corn from 9 am to 10:30 am without a hit, so i figured we might not be getting down deep enough.

I will definitely invest in a manual Attwood downrigger for the next trip out. What a beautiful lake GP is! Once we gave up on kokes, we switched to smallmouth and landed 6 pretty quickly. The wind was brutal and kicked up whitcaps at 11:30 am or so, and we had to hide out on the leeward side of the island until it stopped blowing so hard around 2 pm.

By the way, can you attach more than one line tot he Atwood DR? Or is it one line per DR?

Thx!

troutdude
troutdude
Great report!

I have always been a firm believer, in ALL weather conditions as well as sunsets/rises and moonsets/rises, as having an impact on fishing action. If one pays attention to those things--it does indeed improve your fishing success.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
oops, i just read that you said you were double stacking on the Attwoods, so that answers my question! I'm exhausted from camping and can't read.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Thanks for an awesome post!
My nephew and I hit green peter tuesday for kokes without downriggers on my nucanoe. I could see schools of kokes everywhere on the lake at 45 - 75 feet down on the FF, just like you said. We tried to get down to them with 3 to 5 ounces of banana sinkers in-line trolled at 150 to 200 feet back at 1.2 mph. We trolled various colors of wedding rings tipped with shoepeg corn from 9 am to 10:30 am without a hit, so i figured we might not be getting down deep enough.

I will definitely invest in a manual Attwood downrigger for the next trip out. What a beautiful lake GP is! Once we gave up on kokes, we switched to smallmouth and landed 6 pretty quickly. The wind was brutal and kicked up whitcaps at 11:30 am or so, and we had to hide out on the leeward side of the island until it stopped blowing so hard around 2 pm.

By the way, can you attach more than one line tot he Atwood DR? Or is it one line per DR?

Thx!

were you at the Whitcomb Creek campground? on the way out, we stopped to tighen our boat straps right in front of a Nucanoe...

the Atwood DR was easy to double stack 2 lines, I can do it from my kayak, my method normally is: let out about 10' of line and connect to the release behind the DR ball and start lowering it, "park" it at about 10 feet, put that pole behind the DR and aim it out toward the rear...then connect the second line to sliding release like a Scotty 1171 ($8 at BiMart), that pole goes in a holder in front of the DR and I point it out to the side, away from the boat as far as possible. now with both lines connected to the DR, smoothly lower them and if you are trolling slow enough (we hooked fish as low as 0.7mph), usually easy to see both DR releases on the sonar (lure is usually slightly higher than the sonar response, so I go just below the fish)....the idea is for the lower to release and swing out behind the boat, the upper would release and swing slightly out to the side, reducing fouing the lines when a fish hooks up. Scotty link: http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/line-releases/powergrip-plus.htm

cheers, roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
almost forgot: we were tipping all our hooks with shoepeg corn that was marinated in Mike's Kokanee Lunker Lotion and we often added an extra drop of it to the corn, first time using that scent product and very impressed...roger

J
JimBob
That's a lot of cleaning.

C_Run
C_Run
Nice report and glad you had success.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JimBob said:
That's a lot of cleaning.

very true but it isn't bad if you plan for it- folding camp kitchen thing with sink, vacuum sealer+inverter+battery...once they are vacuum sealed and into ice/water mix in cooler, then at home right into the freezer (or smoker)...the heads we bag up and save (great crab bait), I also bagged the eggs and started curing them today, about a pint of nuggets (half skeins) that will be fun to experiment with......cheers, roger

H
Hawk
Well done guys...looks like y'all had lots of FUN ......:lol::lol::lol:

:cool:

:clap::clap::clap:

D
DYJ
I love the chaos of several guys dragging multiple lines each through a school of Kokes. You really have to fineness them in and that's sometimes hard to do with doubles and triples or more and only so many guys reeling. My brother and I have had some great days out on GP with five or six rods out the back of his boat and only the two of us on the back deck as our wives sit inside the cabin, sipping wine and laughing at us, as we try to stay on top of the chaos. It reminds me of Tuna fishing on a hot day.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
rogerdodger said:
were you at the Whitcomb Creek campground? on the way out, we stopped to tighen our boat straps right in front of a Nucanoe...

the Atwood DR was easy to double stack 2 lines, I can do it from my kayak, my method normally is: let out about 10' of line and connect to the release behind the DR ball and start lowering it, "park" it at about 10 feet, put that pole behind the DR and aim it out toward the rear...then connect the second line to sliding release like a Scotty 1171 ($8 at BiMart), that pole goes in a holder in front of the DR and I point it out to the side, away from the boat as far as possible. now with both lines connected to the DR, smoothly lower them and if you are trolling slow enough (we hooked fish as low as 0.7mph), usually easy to see both DR releases on the sonar (lure is usually slightly higher than the sonar response, so I go just below the fish)....the idea is for the lower to release and swing out behind the boat, the upper would release and swing slightly out to the side, reducing fouing the lines when a fish hooks up. Scotty link: http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/line-releases/powergrip-plus.htm

cheers, roger

Yes we left the whitcomb creek campground around 1:30 pm wednesday, and about 12:45 or so I saw a guy with a goatee and ponytail pull his boat up next to our nucanoe. There was a lady with him that said something about tying down the boat.

Thanks for all the tips on using a DR from a yak! I can't wait to try it out.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
yep, that was us, if you sort of smashed Les Stroud, George Carlin, and Red-Green together, add a ponytail, that's me. good fishing! roger

B
brewer
Roger,

Just wondering how you keep track of how deep your downriggers are. Since the attwoods don't have counters on them are you just using your sonar to keep track of depth? I got a boat last spring but am new to all this, I picked up an Attwood in anticipation of next spring but when I tested it out I tried using a line counter on my pole which was a bit of a pain.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
brewer said:
Roger,

Just wondering how you keep track of how deep your downriggers are. Since the attwoods don't have counters on them are you just using your sonar to keep track of depth? I got a boat last spring but am new to all this, I picked up an Attwood in anticipation of next spring but when I tested it out I tried using a line counter on my pole which was a bit of a pain.

good question- sonar. we are trolling slow enough and the riggers are a few feet up the side of the boat, so my HDS8 gives a nice 'line' for each rigger ball, makes it easy to adjust depth to the lower part of the koke schools (clusters of aches, look sort of like suspended brush piles)....I am really impressed with the Attwoods, my first impression was 'flimsy/plasticy' but they worked great, even easy to use one-handed on my kayak..I like low cost stuff that works!

FYI- next summer, we are targeting Odell and Cresent for kokes and hopefully a big mac! can't wait.....cheers, roger