Gilbert River fishing report

R
RustyShackleford
Went to Gilbert River today looking for catfish. Ended up catching 10 sturgeon instead. The largest was about 4 feet. Saw 3 small cats caught. The guys out in the kayaks and boats were slaying the sturgeon. Used chicken liver tipped with worm off the bottom. Did a little jigging later around the edges and lost what I believe was a decent sized smallie.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
sapo
OFF the bank?? If so, I need to get out there, seems like a good sturgeon bank spot.

bass
bass
Awesome job Rusty! I have never launched nor fished there but always think about it. Once the springer bite dies down I will give it a try. Looks like a cool place to fish for sturgeon and bass. Thanks for re-motivating me to get out there.

C
cdumitru78
Sweet! I saw decent sized catfish caught by the Gilbert River boat launch, is that what you are talking about? They are there for sure, maybe the water needs to get warmer?

bass said:
Awesome job Rusty! I have never launched nor fished there but always think about it. Once the springer bite dies down I will give it a try. Looks like a cool place to fish for sturgeon and bass. Thanks for re-motivating me to get out there.

R
RustyShackleford
This was next to the parking lot with the fishing dock right next to sturgeon lake. I went back yesterday and it was all small cats. I think they sturgeon were spawning the previous time.

C
cdumitru78
Where you getting small channel cats, or bullheads? I saw people getting channel cats out of there, I think there is only one boat launch/fishing dock on the Gilbert on Sauvie's island.

R
RustyShackleford
They were bullhead cats. There is a small cove about 50 yards to the left of the dock where you could launch a canoe or kayak.

C
cdumitru78
Cool thanks! I will be fishing from the bank, but may check that area out! I caught carp and channel cats from the bank there, would love to catch a sturgeon from the bank if possible, never got one from the bank and it would be fun!

C
cdumitru78
Just an update on this thread, I got the chance to go there and try it out, it was FUN. Fished from around the boar ramp, landed 6 in about 3 hours, with a large one around 50 inches or so. They were hitting both shrimp and anchovies.