Gales Creek report and warning 7/24/11

H
hookbait
After having fun camping and fishing on the Wilson my daughter and I had a bit of time left on Sunday for a quick trip to what used to be our favorite spot on Gales Creek. More on the "used to be" part later. The spot is under the Roderick Rd bridge. We liked the spot because there was a nice pullout and the climb down to the water wasn't too bad. There is a nice pool under the bridge and to both sides that is very bank fishable. Every time we have been there we have seen nice looking fish flashing near the rocks chasing fry.

On this trip we were teased unmercifully by good size trout right below our feet feeding on the small fish around the rocks. They made a point of being tantalizingly visible, and utterly uninterested in any of the spinners we threw out. Towards the end of the day I did manage to get the little Cuttie below to hit a black bodied spinner with a silver blade and a bit of chart tape. He was in the 7 to 8" range and we let him go grow up after posing for a couple pics.

100_0535.jpg

The unfortunate part of the of the trip happened as we were packing up to leave. While I was extracting my daughters last cast from a stick fish wedged in rocks we heard a vehicle cross the bridge from the side opposite the main highway. It stopped and didn't leave which I found odd. As I was stowing the gear for the hike up to the car, loud thumps were heard from the parking area followed by a hiss. The vehicle then drove down the highway toward the town of Gales Creek. When we arrived at the car I found that the back driver side tire's valve stem had been cut off. So, we ended our fun evening of fishing having to change a tire in the dark.

This experience has ruined the spot for Chloe and I. If this was a "message" from someone, I get it. They are someone I don't care to know and my daughter and I won't be coming back. It's not worth the risk of something more destructive happening to my daughter, self, or vehicle.

To end on a less distasteful note. The only harm done was to my ego, Les Schwab in FG was kind enough to fix the tire for free. Chloe got an object lesson in the results of vandalism. I am very grateful.

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
WOW!!! I am sorry to hear of your bad experience. That is horrible!! Hopefully this experience hasn't ruined your daughter's joy of fishing. There are some nice holes on Gales Creek a little further up the creek, over next to dorman's popnd and it is a little more public, so not as isolated.

Take care!!

-Spydey

H
hookbait
Yeah we've fished the creek by Dorman. Chloe liked the closer spot because we could watch fish there. I liked it cause there weren't that many rocks in the bottom so I didn't have unsnag her so often.

No fear of this denting Chloe's urge to fish. The first thing I heard when I got home last night was, "Let's go fishing dad!". So, fish we did, we just went over to Elk Creek CG on the Wilson instead.

S
Spydeyrch
hookbait said:
Yeah we've fished the creek by Dorman. Chloe liked the closer spot because we could watch fish there. I liked it cause there weren't that many rocks in the bottom so I didn't have unsnag her so often.

No fear of this denting Chloe's urge to fish. The first thing I heard when I got home last night was, "Let's go fishing dad!". So, fish we did, we just went over to Elk Creek CG on the Wilson instead.

Nice!! I am glad to see that she still likes to fish. That is important.

Hopefully you guys didn't fish Elks Creek but rather the Wilson. :D

-Spydey

H
hookbait
Yup, we fished all the way from where the South Fork comes in down to the little falls just past where Elk Creek joins.

J
JHawk
Great report! Thanks for sharing.

I just don't understand why people would vandalize someone's car like that. It's ridiculous. Too bad you hadn't popped up a little earlier and got a plate number on them.

H
hookbait
I prolly could have dropped what I was doing and headed up when things started to seem odd. However with whomever at the top putting their poor judgement and impulse control on display. I wasn't in a hurry to drag my daughter up the hill. Or explain to her that she needed to hide until daddy said it was safe.

And thanks for all the good wishes all.