Forest grouse

Q
quackerjack
Grouse hunting is rapidly approaching! I have been doing as much research as possible to find locations to go upland game hunting but some local expertise would be very beneficial. I was wondering if anyone needs a grouse hunting partner or if they would like to try and find some birds with me?

Y
Yogidabear
The only way I have ever hunted grouse was driving logging roads early or late in the day, I don't know if it's legal or not but that's how I and anyone else I know has ever hunted them. three places come to mind, crale creek road this is up hwy 58 acoss from look out point area. just above that just a couple of miles off of hwy 58 is another area. and saddle blanket mountain in the mckenzie unit above fall creek. you just need to find those blue berry looking bushies (maybe they are called elder berries) tall timber and water. watch out for bears in the willimette unit several times i have been up there one will run acoss the road.

U
Username
^ thats how i have always hunted them too,lol. And no its not exactly legal.

Q
quackerjack
Opening weekend I went out to the Coastal Range and all the roads were gated but had signs say "Walk-in access only. No vehicle traffic without written permission." Would that be legal to hunt on those roads?

T
TTFishon
You guys should be careful about road hunting. Apparently you haven't heard about the robo chicken. lol Law enforcement is cracking down on road hunting for grouse.

Q
quackerjack
quackerjack said:
Would that be legal to hunt on those roads?
I mean walk the roads to get to the hillsides and groves I want to push. I that legal? I really don't want to be doing anything illegal but haven't found anything that says it is not legal. Please let me know.
Thanks

M
Mherriford
Anybody who might be interested in a noobie tagging along on their upland bird hunt should give me a shout. I have zero experiance but would love to learn. I keep reading about all these different places to go but without knowing what I am looking for I am having trouble actually getting on any birds

Thanks
M