Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

GungasUncle

AuSable Bombers:

Baby crawfish (meant for light line rods down to #3)

Soft hackles

Big crawfish - #2's for big rods and big fish

GungasUncle

So I've been on a streamer binge lately, and gotten way into streamer fishing in the last year. I went from "normal" stuff like buggers, to massive, ugly stuff I've tied up for trout and bass.

Here's a couple back stabber bucktail & craft fur minnows - these things are tied up on Gamakatsu B10S stinger hooks. I bound a size 1 to a size 1/0 - their eyes are the same size and the wire is the same diameter so this was easy - then tied on the rest of the materials, including glass rattles. These are intended for bass, but any trout hungry enough is also welcome...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/4IXzCHv.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Also done a bunch of foam headed sliders and pole dancers - the sliders I fish on a sinking line or sink-tip line, they dart under water and float upwards like a floating rapala when fished this way. The pole dancers are to mimic the action of a Zara Spook, which is my favorite top water gear lure.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/sWz8F12.jpg"}[/IMG2]

And everyone loved Boobies - these I call "Double Ds" because they are very well endowed. Before anyone gets their panties in a knot - I did not come up with the name of the fly, Google 'em. Like the sliders above, when fished on a sinking line these things dart and dive, then pop back to the top. Drives fish nuts.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/rqMiiL0.jpg"}[/IMG2]

More Crawfish flies too, but different from the last ones I posted:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/OipbjXO.jpg"}[/IMG2]

And lastly, here's some worm flies - inspired by Yum Dingers and Yamamoto Senkos

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Kc3r8Ma.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:

GungasUncle

Here's one more fly pattern - it's super simple, I came up with it to imitate a soft plastic Fluke type soft jerk bait. It's rabbit strip, with a dubbed body on the shank, tied on an EWG style worm hook:

First time I fished it - I found out that Trout like them too:

GungasUncle

You have no Idea, Lon. I've been in the process of organizing/reorganizing - and adding to the mess. Just in *bass* flies I have 8 Plano 3500 size boxes, plus a couple normal fly boxes of streamers and bass flies, and they spill into other boxes yet. And of course I have half a dozen or so trout boxes, a box of panfish poppers & flies... my 5 year old son has two of his own fly boxes (which have flies I tied, some he tied, and some store bought) - as I weed through these, some are getting cut up and materials reused, others are going into a big pile to give away or sell (or both)

My passions have shifted away from dry fly trout fishing to chucking junk for bass and trout. I've got a Plano 3700 full of dry flies that currently have no other home in my boxes - most are size 16 and smaller, and my eyes just don't see that great anymore without glasses, and I don't like fishing light tippets for anything bigger than bluegill anymore. I sold my 2 weight - the lightest rod I own right now is a 4.

I'm trying to move a Loomis 8 weight to make room in the stable, with plans to replace it with a TFO Mini Mag (much better swing weight for overhead casting = less tiring) for chucking big junk at bass and maybe some saltwater stuff. There's also Muskie to target up in Merwin this year. I got to cast the Mini Mag at the Sportsman's show and fell in love. It's exactly what I'm looking for - I was thinking about ordering a custom 7'6" or 8 foot blank from CTS - but the Mini Mag does exactly what I want, and the complete rod is half the money of the CTS blank by itself, so the cash from the sale of the Loomis will be enough to get the Mini Mag rod and a Rio Leviathan line to match up with it, and maybe an OPST or Rio Outbound Short shooting head for the spare spool.

GungasUncle

Wow, I can't believe I have the last post in this thread and it's been almost a year hence.

I never got to hit Merwin this year, but I did a lot of streamer fishing. I did sell my thunderstick Loomis 8 weight, but did not wind up getting the Mini Mag either. Still on the hunt for one - but they're discontinued (why does TFO have to discontinue stuff so soon after showing it off?) - so I may be hunting for a used one, a closeout model, or a different rod altogether - I think the Echo BAG Quickshot may be the new rod to lust over.

I've been a streamer fishing fool this year too - and caught a bunch of fish on them. And now it's winter again, and I keep watching videos on YouTube of guys fishing for big bass and trout, hardware guys, fly flingers - I learn from everyone. But I also get..inspired by them. Too many videos of guys throwing big Bullshad swimbaits, guys fishing for Musky, guys catching 20-30 inch trout on big streamers...

I tied these up a couple weeks ago:

Biggest in the bunch needs a new rod to throw - it's an 11 and 1/4 inch long trout or kokanee imitation. I just don't think my CGR's, or even the Redington 8 weight I picked up have the poop to huck that bait out there. Besides, I kind of tied that guy up while watching musky vids and dreaming of Merwin. The BAG Quickshot 10 weight is the rod for that, for sure...

Here's a couple prototype flies I tied up last spring too that have a fun action:

I call them Soccer Hooligans because they were inspired by two different flies - Blaine Chocklett's Game Changer, and Tommy Lynch's Drunk and Disorderly flies - the body is Game Changer style, using Fish Spine articulation shanks. The head is inspired by the head of the D&D, and tied tight enough to cause the fly to slowly swim upward at a rest. The head is clipped in such a shape that it causes the fly to dive and dart on the strip as well. I fish these on a full sink line - which helps the diving action. When you pause the retrieve the fly swims upward.

These are, like I said prototypes. One is tied with a craft fur body, the other with marabou. The marabou fly has the best action, but casts like a wet sock full of quarters. The craft fur version just casts like a wet sock, but doesn't breath or swim quite as well as the marabou fly.

GungasUncle

Chromatose;n610026 said:
Are the last two Tubes with Cone Heads?
Nope - they a twist on Kelly Galloup's Sex Dungeon - instead of the stacked deer hair head, I decided to do a stacked Laser Dub head. There's two hooks hidden in there - a size 4 and a size 2 Gamakatsu B10S. They are hard to see, but there's small brass eyes hidden in there too, to give the fly a subtle jiggy action.

I got a killer deal on a rod I've been hunting for for over a year at the Sportman's Show - the TFO Mini Mag, which was actually discontinued by TFO last year. The TFO rep had his closeout rods at River City's booth - and Don made me an offer I couldn't refuse (lol) - I *had* to bring the Mini Mag home. He had two to choose from, I snagged the "8-10" which is actually rated for 300 to 400 grain lines (if you go by grains, thats 10 to 12 weight) like a Rio Outbound.

I test cast the rods with the lines that I have (heaviest normal non-skagit head) - in this case a variety of 8 weight lines - Rio Gold, Sage Freshwater, a Cabela's WF8 intermediate, and a Rio Leviathan 250 grain full sinker. I was duely impressed by how well the new stick throws line, and when I get a more appropriate (350-400 grain) line, I'm confident that the hugest flies I have (like my 11 inch trout imitation) will sail out.

I did have one booboo test casting - I had a fairly heavy jig style worm fly (point cut off, thank god) to see how the rod handled heavy stuff. I was going for broke, as I'd hit my backing knot on a few casts with a bit lighter fly. A combination of a sudden wind gust during my back cast, and a extra oopmh haul, and I wound up smacking myself in the left ear with said fly, which broke skin, but had so much force on the impact that it snapped 15lb flourocarbon tippet, caused the fly to continue sailing about 30 feet out into the pond, and the line on my neck and head felt like I'd been bull whipped. But, with that 250 grain line, I was throwing a 5 inch rabbit strip worm fly (moderately weighted with 20 or so lead wraps) 100 feet. I was damn impressed and felt like Lefty Kreh for a few casts.

I've got a few more flies I've tied up this week I will be posting pix of soon.

Chromatose

Nice take on the Woolybugger & Sculpin Streamer patterns. I can not make comment on store bought rods as I have been wrapping my own now for a number of decades.
Enjoy your new stick just the same!

Mr.Joshua

Nice, somehow I missed this thread.
I whipped up some freestyle Hairwings this morning while watching the snow fly. Needed some blue

Chromatose

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20180222\/a4d3b416623c2c7bc0540f2d8409bb76.jpg"}[/IMG2]

:thumb::thumb:

Top Bottom