Fly patterns for Steelies in the creek

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Growbug said:
Hey, I am no purist.. just wanting to get line wet in a variety of ways. Today i was bobber n jig fishing but using my Polar Shrimp and Egg flies as the jig, using shot to get the line down and allowing the fly to drift along. I think all the different styles are valid and i am willing to adapt as the situation changes (like losing my jigs)
My question wasn't as much of can i use the 5wt as a Steelhead rod, I take the answer as "yes, but you better have a sense of humor too".
The real question was what LENGTH of rod is best for Eagle Creek and areas like it? My 9ft seemed too long. I also realise that proper fly casting would be limited to certain runs on the creek. I was entranced watching metalfisher flick his offering into likely looking holes. It didn't even look like he had any of the main line out of the rod and was just flicking the leader / tippet across.

Oh no I do look like a purist!! :shock::shock: I take back everything I said about bobbers!! I can assure you I'm have not a care about your own choice of gear. I have actually used my Sage XP and about an ounce of lead and worms to catch catfish when I had no other options haha..

As far as "correct" casting technique, Indiana Jones would be a GREAT fly caster. To me, the higher variety you posses, the greater your ability hit all the slips with a long rod under and around cover the greater the caster you are, 10 and 2 not even the remotest consideration. I love watching original casters.

S
Salmon Whammy
HI Mike123! Thanks! As you know I make flies and lures as a business. Having fished all my life I have had the wonderful experience of the great outdoors. I have been fortunate to have caught a lot of fish and I like to share with others. Another neat way to fish for steelhead is with a water bobber and a fly. When I was guiding I would run a plug and a fly out in front of the drift boat. It is fantastic to catch a Steelhead or Salmon on light gear. A lot of people are forgetting about the sport of fishing. I love every minute that I can be in the great outdoors. If I catch fish great. If not I still had a great day. Being in the lure business I am so fortunate to have met so many nice people fishing around this great country of ours.
Salmon Whammy ( Dean Hendricks )

www.nclaf.com

Last edited by a moderator:
H
halibuthitman
salmon wammy is a fraud

B
beaverfan
I don't know about a fraud but I wish he would follow the rules and not just try to sell us crap. Don't you have to have at least 10 posts before you can sell anything? And I know it has to be in the "Sell" section. Every one of his 6 posts has been an effort to sell us crap. So annoying. Why do you say he's a fraud, what do you know that I don't know? LOL

M
metalfisher76
Growbug said:
Oh.. question for MetalFisher76.... On the way out of EC yesterday one of the guys on the way in noticed a large truck and commented "Oh no.. that mad Alaskan with the fly rod is here, we may as well go home"..... would that have been referring to you??

No, but he is a buddy of mine.

It`s funny, I`ve been checkin in on another forum and they are hammering said buddy. They don`t believe how many fish he catches. It`s cool, he`s not bashful, and some don`t like it.

But hey, no biggie! I just think it`s funny, them over there, knowing he is here, and so are most of them:rolleyes:. :D

B
bigsteel
F
Fishtopher
beaverfan said:
I don't know about a fraud but I wish he would follow the rules and not just try to sell us crap.

Well beaver why dont you just post a copy of those rules. Maybe just the link to the page.

Im curious as to why the guy is being called a fraud too.

H
halibuthitman
salmon wammy has made 6 posts...... 5 were direct sales attempts, this forum is supposedly a group of fisherman talkin and joking around, he is a marketer... that makes hima fraud in my mind, you don't have to agree with me... im fine standing over here by myself.

A
autofisher
Here's the thing.... I know for a fact that he's had messages sent to him in reguards to the fact that all he does is try to sell.....no response to those. It's really hard to have a trust in someone who doesn't pay attention to the minor rules that have been set for us. You're not alone halibut. It's one of my biggest pet peaves on the forum.

M
Mike123
Salmon Whammy said:
HI Mike123! Thanks! As you know I make flies and lures as a business. Having fished all my life I have had the wonderful experience of the great outdoors. I have been fortunate to have caught a lot of fish and I like to share with others. Another neat way to fish for steelhead is with a water bobber and a fly. When I was guiding I would run a plug and a fly out in front of the drift boat. It is fantastic to catch a Steelhead or Salmon on light gear. A lot of people are forgetting about the sport of fishing. I love every minute that I can be in the great outdoors. If I catch fish great. If not I still had a great day. Being in the lure business I am so fortunate to have met so many nice people fishing around this great country of ours.
Salmon Whammy ( Dean Hendricks )

www.nclaf.com

Why would you hope to meet me? Did you take that as a compliment?

If you want to market stuff, pay for an ad so you can benefit the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Mike123 said:
Why would you hope to meet me? Did you take that as a compliment?

If you want to market stuff, pay for an ad so you can benefit the site.

Bingo.

B
bigsteel
i was just curious.....most his posts are selling stuff....:(

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Rules are for everyone...

Rules are for everyone...

Sorry I let this one sneak past me. While I doubt his products are "crap" because some of our members endorse them,I do have to agree with the general consensus of selling without meeting the forum requirements. I did inform him of the rules before he posted anything and did encourage him to include a link in his signature. It really isn't hard to follow the rules,we have plenty who do.
Salmon Whammy;
When you reach the required ten (10) posts you are more than welcome to display you wares as well as your website,phone number and e-mail. Of course,what info you put in your posts is up to you. But,if it is a hard sell post,it's up to me where I move it. Sometimes,I just pull out my legendary "Super Cyber Blaster".....bbbbbzzzzzzttt! :naughty:

F
Fishtopher
halibuthitman said:
salmon wammy has made 6 posts...... 5 were direct sales attempts, this forum is supposedly a group of fisherman talkin and joking around, he is a marketer... that makes hima fraud in my mind, you don't have to agree with me... im fine standing over here by myself.

Oh ok. Thought you had somethin good. I know I dont have to agree with you. But I will this time. :)

G
Growbug
OK... this thread is a little hijacked.. but on that note here are my thoughts.

1- If i want to look up products that i want to try.. i will do just that.. i will go and look them up. I am interested in some of the Steelhead Jigs and Yarn that other people on here are selling... but I will approach THEM

2- If i see someone on a thread specifically pushing their own products above all else, that person WONT get my trade no matter how good their stuff is.

3- When a person gets involved in pushing their products and they DONT follow the rules on here, they SHOULD NOT be on here for much longer, there seem to be othere iForums where they would be welcome.

4- Each attempt by a 'seller' to push their products overtly on here DOES marr the reputation of others who are FOLLOWING the rules.

nuff said

now... WHAT LENGTH ROD????

M
metalfisher76
Growbug said:
OK... this thread is a little hijacked.. but on that note here are my thoughts.

1- If i want to look up products that i want to try.. i will do just that.. i will go and look them up. I am interested in some of the Steelhead Jigs and Yarn that other people on here are selling... but I will approach THEM

2- If i see someone on a thread specifically pushing their own products above all else, that person WONT get my trade no matter how good their stuff is.

3- When a person gets involved in pushing their products and they DONT follow the rules on here, they SHOULD NOT be on here for much longer, there seem to be othere iForums where they would be welcome.

4- Each attempt by a 'seller' to push their products overtly on here DOES marr the reputation of others who are FOLLOWING the rules.

nuff said

now... WHAT LENGTH ROD????

O YA! The length... Mine is 9ft. It seems long (and is confining sometimes) but you`ll need it to turn big fish. 9`s pretty short, for fly rod. Good to meet ya the day Growbug!

G
Growbug
thanks.. now my 9ft 7wt will be the next rod that i take there to not catch a fish.

S
Salmon Whammy
HI ! I am sorry that you feel that way. I am still learning how to use the forum. Making a judgement about a person that you do not know is wrong. Members have asked what to use or want information on and I have only tried to help. As a manufacturer of lures we only make quality stuff. A lot of the customers on this forum are very pleased with what we make. To try and defame somebody is wrong or spread rumors about them.
Any body is welcome to stop by our facility and see our operation. Again I did not know the rules We are very proud to be an American company and only try to give the sportsman the best products on the market.
Salmon Whammy (Dean Hendricks) NCLAF
541-997-7080
North Country Lures and Flies
Florence, Oregon

B
beaverfan
That's fine, now you know the rules! We have no problem with people running a business, but when every post is a sales pitch it gets kinda old. I'm sure no one here will hold any hard feelings as I hope you don't. I have never fished any of your products but I have heard good things from other members. All you need is three more posts and I believe you can post an ad in the sell section, but please understand that the rest of the forum is for information not sales pitches.

S
Salmon Whammy
Hi Barb! I am sorry for the hassle. I am still learning how to use it. I guess I did'nt understand the rules or the procedures .Please accept my appology. I have never miss represented what we make. Some of the members have asked about what to use and I have given suggestions. I have only been trying to help on questions about were to fish or what to use. Again please accept my appology.
Salmon Whammy ( Dean Hendricks) NCLAF