Fly outfit help..again

H
halibuthitman
Drew9870 said:
You'll wish you had no less than $200 when you walk into Griggs, they have a variety of rods from ice fishing ultra lights to Sturgeon rods and fly rods of course, the ice rods were prototypes so I am not sure they have them anymore, you can find nice Salmon rods for about $45, last time I was there he had a deal on three Salmon rods for $100.
Im not gonna attack or slam griggs.... but how on earth could a guy be building 3 rods for a hundred bucks... and be beating cabellas qaulity?... google the price of the absolutely cheapest crappiest rod components.. and see what that cost

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
Im not gonna attack or slam griggs.... but how on earth could a guy be building 3 rods for a hundred bucks... and be beating cabellas qaulity?... google the price of the absolutely cheapest crappiest rod components.. and see what that cost

i have always wondered this about griggs as well,i have never casted their rods but 33 bucks a rod?there is something going on there

G
Growbug
I love my Griggs 5 wt. I snapped the tip off when we were fishing at trillium. Took it into the factory and got handed a new rod.
The $33 sticks are ones that have been returned / broken and rebuilt by the guy. as he puts it, he doesn't want to sell them at full price as they arent exactly 'perfectly matched'

brandon4455
brandon4455
brad your inbox is full

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
gotcha... i,ll go sweep and take out the trash- thanks Brandon

M
Markcanby
The 4wt I got from was a combo that he sells to Big-5 people were stealing the spools out of the reels so he got a couple dozen sent back to him. He said it wasn't his fault but he wasn't about to disagree is a customer that buys 3k rods at a time. I paid 35$ for the rod retail for the combo was 125$

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
gotcha... i,ll go sweep and take out the trash- thanks Brandon

no problem bro

brandon4455
brandon4455
but yes, it does seem kinda fishy because they are so cheap, makes mne wonder if i should still consider buying one or not, i just need a little 5wt for trout no big deal, i don't need the best quality ui usually make my gear last a while regardless of the quality. i need somthing thats under $80 so it will be a lower end combo for sure.

T
troutramp
brandon did you check out the redington combos? I know somebody on here mentioned them, but I would check it out more thouroughly if you get a chance they are a good beginer set up 80 bucks is not to work with but i think you can find something. let us know how it goes.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutramp said:
brandon did you check out the redington combos? I know somebody on here mentioned them, but I would check it out more thouroughly if you get a chance they are a good beginer set up 80 bucks is not to work with but i think you can find something. let us know how it goes.

my 8wt is a redington, i love how it casts so far (in my yard) yes i am considering them if i can manage to spend $100 hopefully everything works out well, ill let you know how the search goes next month

brandon

brandon4455
brandon4455
well, i found the same exact model outfit as my 8wt but a 5wt for around $60-70 ill probably grab one of those

M
markasd
Griggs fish fine.. Redington fish fine as well.. good rods for the price.. my 5wt Redington landed my first 13lb steelhead, as well as many many redsides, bows and yes - sea runs cutties - taken a 24" sea run on my 3wt redington - WHOA!

Any hoo - you'll get more rods down the road, get what works for you and your budget... I'd let ya try some of my outfits, maybe we could set up a trip?

mark

brandon4455
brandon4455
markasd said:
Griggs fish fine.. Redington fish fine as well.. good rods for the price.. my 5wt Redington landed my first 13lb steelhead, as well as many many redsides, bows and yes - sea runs cutties - taken a 24" sea run on my 3wt redington - WHOA!

Any hoo - you'll get more rods down the road, get what works for you and your budget... I'd let ya try some of my outfits, maybe we could set up a trip?

mark

sure that sounds fine, next month? pick a river and alet me know

brandon