Float fishing questions

F
fish_4_all
Bait is already banned for 2-4 weeks when the river open, there are some plans to ban it for the first 6 weeks every year if not for good. Hence the need to find a way to catch salmon, specifically Coho on plastics and artificials without bait/scent/oil/spit/coffee/fingers touching it after eating garlic popcorn/anything else.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Coho is an easy one. Small purple and black micro jigs! They have out fished roe countless times using small jigs for coho. Chinook are a different story. :D

F
fish_4_all
From what I am hearing I think I am missing a lot more fish than I realize. Have always been waiting for the hard take down and float under water. Doesn't help half the time I am in faster moving water hitting Chinook. I think I need to fine tune the float height and really start setting the hook whenever the float does something it shouldn't.

It is funny you mention black and purple jigs, saw 6 Chinook hooked on them last year. The jigs were the red bead ones so not micros but they worked for nook.

I do have to correct my never caught a Coho on a float. I did get one, late Coho 3 feet form the bank in muddy water. Float stopped, I held tension and felt the fish moving in the current. That should have been an indicator for me to think about but none of the conditions were anywhere close to where I had been fishing Coho in deep clear water. Was on eggs but I did catch one on a float.

F
fishinshawn
I have better luck fishing coho in faster water. I see them flopping around quite abit in the deep still pools, but have never had much luck getting them to bite there.

F
fish_4_all
CohoMicros1.jpg

Okay, micro jigs, I think. Really light ones to medium ones. The beads are hematite so they do have some weight but not much.
1/20 down to about 1/50th ounce.

Is this what I am looking for or do I need to make them sparser?

S
steelheadstalker31
Those look like they should work.

N
nativefish
twitch zonker strip bunny jigs or zonker strip egg sucking leech bunny jigs and hang on.... line straight to the jig no additional weight :) google it! look at flies like coho killer, etc. i seem to think i get coho to chase stuff so they like the action rather than the suttle presentation.