Fishing the Sellwood bridge

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have noticed that Chinook being caught at the Sellwood bridge seems to be mentioned with some frequency. Is there something special about the bridge that makes that the case? Also, what are people using out there rigging & bait-wise? I was biking in the area today and the wheels started turning...

Thanks in advance!

R
Roolinghills
I was there Saturday and saw that the trail going under the bridge is closed. You can fish the beach right below, but it's a dog park so you'll have to contend with that.

I've been wondering what makes it so special as well. That only thing I can think of is open holes next to the bridge's foundation that gives them a place to rest? I went out there a couple weeks ago and didn't get a single bite.. but it's not so bad when the 12 or so boats in front of you are there the whole time and come up empty. Only gas I had to buy got me to the river ;)

W
waco
That place is so special for boats since you kind of have to fish in the middle of the river!! One time I went plunking on that area and I didn't get a single bite or nothing but all the boats trolling in the middle of the river were killing them!! I would suggest not to waist your time there if you don't have a boat!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Yea, I was there at the dog park. Just one guy packing away a rod but no one else fishing, in boats or otherwise. So what are people using out there? Eggs? Is that a plunking spot, I assume?

R
Roolinghills
Yah, they were all eggin it. A couple guys were doing bobber, but the rest just looked like the were weighting eggs down low, hanging off that back end.

The problem I had with the bank fishing there was such a slow current. I don't know if it was the day or what, but even coming in to low tide, it was slooow. I think Waco's right.. no point coming off the bank. You might want to try closer to O.C.?? I'll be hitting those areas real hard in the next couple weeks. Spring break and I'm fishing!

F
Fish-N-Chips
I first went fishing there two years back and I caught my first springer in a boat trolling a herring with a flasher in the first 5 minutes. I thought to myself WOW this spot is sweet(= We ended catching 3 that day. I too have tried to bank fish and it is pretty much a joke. The thing that makes it so special is some deep channels that they like to hang out in so a boat is way more likely to get in front of the fishes face. No luck last year but, I can't wait to go out in my buddy's boat as soon as the river shapes up this year and kill 'em!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Fish-N-Chips said:
I first went fishing there two years back and I caught my first springer in a boat trolling a herring with a flasher in the first 5 minutes. I thought to myself WOW this spot is sweet(= We ended catching 3 that day. I too have tried to bank fish and it is pretty much a joke. The thing that makes it so special is some deep channels that they like to hang out in so a boat is way more likely to get in front of the fishes face. No luck last year but, I can't wait to go out in my buddy's boat as soon as the river shapes up this year and kill 'em!

You know what I love about this forum? How much time it can save you. I may well have spent 10 or more hours out there over a few days trying to land something just to find out that it's really more of a "boat location."

Thanks guys. Think I'll stick to trying my luck elsewhere on a fly.

F
FullMTLjacket
So I like on the west side of sellwood (lake oswego area) Are there any good places to bank fish along highway 43? I was thinking the mary S. young park area?

bass
bass
I know that folks catch springers from the bank fishing at George Rogers park. I am not sure how good Mary S. Young would be this time of year. The high water may make it tough to fish some of the better areas. However, George Rogers and Mary S. Young are not that far apart. You could easily hit both on the same day.