Fishing rookie mistakes?

I
igquick
1. When you still fish, try to leave the bait out as long as possible. The largest fish in the Lake are always the spookiest and they always assess the situation which could take a very long time. Any movement can scare that fish away forever. Personally, my bait was casted out for about 50 minutes before getting a run from a 25 lb Common carp.

2. Great fishing spots DON'T HAVE ADDRESSES. Some people get a little irritated when I try to text them a location and what not, but in reality, a lot of fishing spots don't have addresses where you can just type in the GPS and it will magically take you to a parking spot and the Lake will be right next to it. It usually never works out like that.

3. Some rigs or baits will have you set the hook in a different way, or don't require a hook set at all:

- When using a hair rig, you don't require a hook set.

- A fish with a bony head/mouth may require multiple hook sets, or an over-exaggerated big one.

- A top water bait requires a delayed hook set.

- Most of the time, you only need a small hook set for small fish.

- When using a circle hook with bait, a fish that bites will automatically get set by itself from the rod bending. So in other words, the fish bends the rod, and sets the hook. I use circle hooks on all my hair rigs, and set up my drag that is loose enough for a large fish to take line and tight enough to bend the rod.

4. Put bait on the hook before you cast it out. I've literally seen people cast with no bait, and you probably know what happened next.

5. Never muscle a carp or anything gigantic. I can't tell you how many local stories and people I've met that lost carp by not loosening their drag. A 12 LB Carp is capable of breaking 30 LB Braid. Their combination of strength, runs, spins, twists, swimming towards snags after getting hooked, and the ability to pull a rod in the water make it brutal on your fishing line.

6. Small catfish have fins and dorsal fins that flare out sharply like box cutter knives. Ive seen two people get cut up by one, which was really pathetic. So I always bring gloves just in case I have to deal with catfish.

7. Before casting, you must know what is behind you at all times; and know your weaknesses when you cast. Don't pitch cast near a tree if you aren't comfortable in doing so.

ANY MORE WE COULD ADD TO THIS LIST?!

Reactions: FishFinger
H
halibuthitman
Nice post

S
smoky
Very helpfull info
Thanks

T
TimberTodd
As soon as you take your eye off the bobber, it will go down.

S
steelhead1
TimberTodd said:
Ha ha! So I'm not the only one!

C
ChezJfrey
TimberTodd said:

But I think you have to do it for real...I've faked it to induce a bobber-down, but it doesn't work ;)

T
TimberTodd
ChezJfrey said:
But I think you have to do it for real...I've faked it to induce a bobber-down, but it doesn't work ;)

My dad had a habit of keeping an eye on all bobbers in the water. I would occasionally start twitching mine to mess with him:).

B
Big3d
Ha, if I'm turned away my buddy will shout "hey bro" which either mean fish on, or he's bored and i have been selected to play the village idiot!

M
mikeee2362
#8...make sure your license is in your pocket, not at home....saves a lot in gas.

T
TimberTodd
I drove to Hagg early one morning to bass fish. After loading the kayak and paddling to where I wanted to start, I found out I had forgot to put my bass gear in my tackle bag. I wound up tossing spinners for trout. Double check your gear before leaving home.

D
DrTheopolis
On a very closely related topic... make sure the plug is in the boat. Before launching.

H
Herefishyfishy
Keep changing things during the day if you're not having success; colors, size, types, lengths, patterns, scents etc. Sometimes fish will let 50 different patterns float by them and for some reason one will p*** em OFF!

I
igquick
All great and funny info!

About the topic on bobbers, my very first trout I caught I was using a bobber. I casted that out and it wasn't floating, so I reeled it in and there's my first trout!