Fishing rod for kokanee

F
fish face
I had used my fishing pole that my Grandfather made, but I had to retire it. What is a good fishing rod for Kokes? I know you get what you pay for but at the same time I don't want to take a second mortgage out to purchase one.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
salmon_slayer87
Well how are you planning on fishing for them? Troll or jigging? I am a jiggin kind of guy...and to be honest...you can catch kokes on any style rod. But due to their soft mouths id stay away from super light action rods. Don't get me wrong hooking them with light gear is fun. You just have a better chance landing them with something heavier. My suggestion would be a 6' to 6and a half, medium or medium light action. With 4 to 6 lb line.
Oh and these don't have to be expensive rods. Go to BiMart and look at what they have. You can knock kokes dead with a Bimart rod and reel combo. For around 30 to 40 bucks.
Good luck,
Dale

F
fish4life
It depends on whether you will be trolling with or without a downrigger or just jigging for them, lamiglas and okuma have some good downrigger rods. If trolling without a downrigger you are going to want a stiffer rod that will handle 3oz of lead with the drag of a lake troll. And if you are jigging I ussually just use a medium spinning setup. Okuma celios will run about $30-$40 and lamiglas around $70.

troutdude
troutdude
fish4life said:
Okuma celios will run about $30-$40 and lamiglas around $70.

Okuma also makes an SST rod for Kokes. IMHO, they are better than the Celios (and cost a bit more too). The Lamiglas fiberglass kokes rods are SWEET!

J
JeannaJigs
I have a rod my dad's friend made from a flyrod blank, I think it was a 5wt in it's past life. It's PERFECT for jigging. It doesn't rip their lips off, too often. I personally prefer a softer lighter action rod with kokes. Of course these are Odell kokes that don't get too large.

F
fish face
My Grandfather's fishing pole was perfect as well, but it just got too old. Finding a replacement is not as easy I thought. I prefer jigging for Kokes and we fish, as well as camp, at Wikiup. I've been going there for years, and it's never the same fishing trip twice. The fish can get big, but you have to find them first.

Thinking of fishing poles, my son caught a huge brown there floating a worm using a "kiddie" pole. He got the fish to the shore before the lined snapped. He will always remember "the one that got away".

H
hawkeyes
i also like the okuma sst kokanee rods mine were 40 bucks and after using it i bought a 2nd one there my go to rods now