Fishing rights on Sandy River

H
halibuthitman
why? so much ado about jack... 18000 miles of river in oregon runs through state, federal or accesible land... fish everywhere, I have fished the sandy about 20 times now.. and it is far from a river that you would risk a ticket for.... its boom or bust, when was the last time a fish out of the sandy was posted on here.. and from my 20 times ( 140 hrs ) it is rather early for there.. just go somewhere else-

S
Scowboy
I fish up from there a lot, and park on a friends property. He owned to the middle of the river and the state took his property w/o compensation. The owners do have a right to be angry for that. They paid for it, paid tax on it and it was taken. And we junk it up, pissing in view of their houses etc. I don't think he was right, but I can see his angle. My buddy is good to fisherman, but if he isn't happy with behavior or litter, he'll give ya the boot. Unfortunately that stretch has a very poor turnout of humans during coho season :(

IMHO the only reason the NW Steelheaders Assoc pushed that legislation is because you can't fish the Sandy freely otherwise as it has to be on foot. AND you can't get a boat up it, only small ones down it. A better question is why don't they go after the Clack? It's actually navigable right? Because you can get a sled up it, they don't need to get it redesignated.

While I think a few of the landowners on the Sandy are first class $#$#$* most are OK. For the ones who tell you to scram, best to give a berth regardless.

I live within a mile of the Clack, and own property on the upper Sandy.

G
Growbug
Here's a tricky little situation.

If you are below high water level and you are shouted at by a landowner, make sure that YOU wave HIM to come over to you.
If you step out of the water onto his land to explain that you were in the clear, then as soon as you step onto land you can be classed as trespassing.