Fishing report: Simpson Pond Monday, April 29, 2013

H
HRxPaperStacks
Hey OFF,I just thought I would report my findings on my most recent fishing trip. I got to simpson pond in Albany about 9:30 AM. Blew up my inflatable kayak and went underway. There was a light breeze and the sun was out. Gorgeous day to target some bass! I was using a White/Chartruese Strike King Premier Plus spinnerbait and a jig with a zoom craw trailer on my other pole. I rowed out until I cleard the weeds and began targeting some of the standing up wooden poles with the spinnerbait, taking time out once in awhile to pitch the jig. After no success, I switched to a carolina rigged watermelon/red baby brush hawg, then a strike king rage tail anachonda Texas rigged. I was still throwing the spinnerbait. I couldn't really find a place where I wasn't pulling weeds out every single cast.Until I was making my way back in. I found a nice little cove where there were obvious breaks in the weeds. I threw my spinnerbait towards some lillypads. I let it sink a few feet and began my retrieve. AS IT WAS EXITING THE WATER, a bass probably between 4-5 pounds lunges out from the lily pads to my right. she stops and looks longingly at the spinnerbait. Being that I can see her, I grab my rage tail and put it in front of her nose. After a few jigs, she turned tail and swam into the depths.I know, not the most exciting trip, but I just wanted to report what I saw. Does anybody else fish simpson with any kind of success?

S
Spydeyrch
Nice trip and great report!! Sounded very exciting!! Good luck man!

-Spydey

bass
bass
Thanks for the report. A miss like that really gets the heart pumping. I often remember misses like that long after I have forgotten about fish I have caught.

J
jadleybray
I've always wanted to get out on that lake, but never had. Looks to be a weed infested slough, but might keep the pressure down. Ive fished the stretch from Waverly lake to where it dumps into the Willamette with a bit of success, bass and small trout

H
HRxPaperStacks
jadleybray said:
I've always wanted to get out on that lake, but never had. Looks to be a weed infested slough, but might keep the pressure down. Ive fished the stretch from Waverly lake to where it dumps into the Willamette with a bit of success, bass and small trout

Yeah... there're a TON of weeds and not a lot of shore access. My dad caught a HUGE fish out there once.
What works in the slough? I never knew there were fish in there. Where are the best places to target??