Fishing near Tumalo State Park?

B
bootpdx
My family and I are heading to Tumalo for spring break (March 21-24) and I am looking to spend my mornings and evenings hookin up. I've heard that part of the Deschutes has smaller trout and that Lower Bridge can be productive, but that's about all I've read. I'll certainly try out that part of the Deschutes since it is a short walk from the yurt, but I am interested in trying out some other areas. Being from Portland, I am not really familiar with other options in the area. I may have a boat, so I'd be interested in any nearby lakes as well. I'll be packing the fly and spinner rods. Any suggestions from locals would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tight lines, y'all

O
OnTheDrop
Im sure a few locals will chime in....BUT, I did live in Bend last year and fished that stretch regularly. Ive hooked and seen browns over 20"s and some Bows near that size as well. Majority are smaller yes, but this stretch holds some fattys. The only thing is that it might not be fishing well yet since that whole middle section of the Deschutes is controlled by irrigation. I think it came back into shape around april last year and that's when the fishing was it's best...MAN...I'm getting pretty sad that I don't live there anymore, nothing like that mid Deschutes. The canyons are beautiful..Reguardless of the catching it will be a great time and that's for sure..

A
alm21
I was over there a couple days ago and yes, a lot of water flowing right now which is why I didn't give it a shot.

Irishrover
Irishrover
They won't take water out until mid april thats the traditional date to fill the North Unit irrigation ditch. There are other options in the area if you choose to camp at another location. The Crooked River has some good camp grounds and can be a real good river to fish. In March that whole area can still get quite cold. There is the Fall River a bit further to the south. It also has camp grounds and fly fishing, but I 've seen it snow and freeze there in March, the same with the Metolius.

F
FlyBum
Irishrover said:
They won't take water out until mid april thats the traditional date to fill the North Unit irrigation ditch. There are other options in the area if you choose to camp at another location. The Crooked River has some good camp grounds and can be a real good river to fish. In March that whole area can still get quite cold. There is the Fall River a bit further to the south. It also has camp grounds and fly fishing, but I 've seen it snow and freeze there in March, the same with the Metolius.

Yep. Haven't been to the Crooked for sometime, but heard that it's kinda slow right now? There is still snow down on the Fall and the Met can get cold. This is the transition period over here in Central Oregon things should really start to pickup the end of April!